Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations?

Anyone who thinks recommending a talented writer to their agent/manager would be a bad thing probably doesn't actually have an agent/manager, let alone any clue how the movie business (or business, period) works.

What about fostering a good working relationship with your agent? I'm sure he won't be soon to forget that hot script you got into his hands.

Nor will that talented writer that you helped along. So maybe this writer makes it big, bigger than you, they won't forget who helped them get there...ok, maybe they will if they're an *******, but who cares? Good karma still goes to you.

Somewhere along the line, your good deed will be paid back to you. As will "Tanya Harding-ing" any writer trying to make it in the same game as you.

Remember, your level of talent determines your level of success. Not giving a helping hand to fellow writers.
    I'm always up to help/read/cover/provide notes for/etc other screenwriters. Just toss me a PM!

Comment

I'm thinking that getting a "good" referral to a rep from another writer would be only slightly less difficult then getting one yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ruby-throated phil View Post
        I'm thinking that getting a "good" referral to a rep from another writer would be only slightly less difficult then getting one yourself.

Or as difficult.

The issue is academic at best, something to be hammered out in the moot halls.

When you're an aspiring writer, you need to concentrate on your own career, not someone elses.

And, folks, the Tanya Harding thing was a "just kidding."

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
          Or as difficult.

The issue is academic at best, something to be hammered out in the moot halls.

When you're an aspiring writer, you need to concentrate on your own career, not someone elses.

And, folks, the Tanya Harding thing was a "just kidding."
          So even if you don't believe in just plain altruism, don't you see that if a writer helps advance the career of somebody on a lower rung of the ladder, they might one day return the favour when they themselves are in a position to do so?

Is this why you seem so determinedy to swat away any advice regarding your manager? Do you suspect that the folks offering that advice are operating under the same 'every man for himself' principle that you are and they're only advocating changing your manager because they secretly know that's a bad move for you and if you go for it, they've taken out one more competing writer?

I don't think anybody is going to argue that they shouldn't focus on their own career, but I'm sure sometimes all it takes for somebody to help another out is a few minutes to write an introductory email or something. Not a huge distraction from their own interests in the scheme of things.

Do you heckle Blanche DuBois when watching A Streetcar Named Desire?
          Last edited by instant_karma; 06-06-2009, 09:22 AM. Reason: adding a 'd'
          "Only nothing is impossible."
          - Grant Morrison

Comment

I'd help out another writer in a heartbeat. Matter of fact, I've already got a couple in mind that if I ever get anywhere, it'll be a pleasure to try to help.

Now my uncle, he's a different story. I ain't helping him. I'd actually karate chop him off of the Statue of Liberty's head, no, off a Stealth bomber at 60,000 ft above a zoo, above the lions pit, no, off of the highest, brightest star after I put gravity boots on his a$$.

UNCLE
            Can you make me another loan, mijo?

JCORONA
            Have you've ever seen a Stealth Bomber, tio? Up close -- real close?

UNCLE
            No I haven't.

JCORONA
            Where's the nearest Air Force base?

Good morning, everybody.

Good morning, Charisma.

Corona
            I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
            I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
              So even if you don't believe in just plain altruism, don't you see that if a writer helps advance the career of somebody on a lower rung of the lader, they might one day return the favour when they themselves are in a position to do so?

Is this why you seem so determinedy to swat away any advice regarding your manager? Do you suspect that the folks offering that advice are operating under the same 'every man for himself' principle that you are and they're only advocating changing your manager because they secretly know that's a bad move for you and if you go for it, they've taken out one more competing writer?

I don't think anybody is going to argue that they shouldn't focus on their own career, but I'm sure sometimes all it takes for somebody to help another out is a few minutes to write an introductory email or something. Not a huge distraction from their own interests in the scheme of things.

Do you heckle Blanche DuBois when watching A Streetcar Named Desire?
              Altruism presupposes that the altruistic subject occupies a higher status than the person upon which alturistic actions are dispensed. The rich are altruistic; poor folks do not have the luxury.

If you're helping someone who is a better writer than you are, then you just mucked yourself.

Jcorona, I'll help you out by putting a hitman on your uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcorona View Post
                I'd help out another writer in a heartbeat. Matter of fact, I've already got a couple in mind that if I ever get anywhere, it'll be a pleasure to try to help.

Now my uncle, he's a different story. I ain't helping him. I'd actually karate chop him off of the Statue of Liberty's head, no, off a Stealth bomber at 60,000 ft above a zoo, above the lions pit, no, off of the highest, brightest star after I put gravity boots on his a$$.

UNCLE
                Can you make me another loan, mijo?

JCORONA
                Have you've ever seen a Stealth Bomber, tio? Up close -- real close?

UNCLE
                No I haven't.

JCORONA
                Where's the nearest Air Force base?

Good morning, everybody.

Good morning, Charisma.

Corona
                Top of the morning to you Jc!
                Doth thou desirest a slapping? - William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by Charisma View Post
                  Top of the morning to you Jc!
                  Don't you top of the morning me.

If you wanna top something, place my uncle on top of Heaven and shove his a$$ off, down, towards hell, into hell, beneath hell. What's beneath hell?

Just playing, C.

Have a beautiful Saturday, everybody.

Corona
                  I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                  I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post

If you're helping someone who is a better writer than you are, then you just mucked yourself.
                    You have serious self-esteem issues.
                    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                      You have serious self-esteem issues.
                      Yes I do, joe.

Comment

Working...
                      X