Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on Two Computers

So, this is embarrassing that I even have to ask this.
    I write primarily from a desktop but sometimes (like now when they are tearing apart my kitchen) I write on a laptop.

I have been emailing files back and forth. Some are Word (writing a YA novel) some are Final Draft (screenplays, pilots, etc.) This works for me, until I wait a day or two and realize they're all called the same thing and they're usually being stored in Downloads. So sometimes I'll catch my self 20-30 pages behind on the wrong file.

Are most people these days working from the cloud? If so, is there a preferred method? Google often compresses my Word files in a way I don't like and for whatever reason I can't always cut and paste when I work out of Google Drive. I've stored Final Draft in Google Drive, but ... meh.

Would Drop Box be a better bet? I have it, I just think of it as a place for video or pictures for some reason. Is there something better? Any opinions?
    Thanks.

Re: Working on Two Computers

I use Dropbox and email. All depends, but Dropbox should work pretty well.

Does the option to overwrite the existing file pop up when your downloading your fdx file from your email? If not, they should all be labeled with a number at the end in your downloads folder. The higher the number, the more recent the file.

But, nowadays I write on my iPhone with an app called "Screenplay". If I need to check page count, which I rarely do anymore until I'm almost done with the first draft, I transfer the fdx file over to the "Scripts Pro" app. I use final draft for my actual final draft.
    Fiction writers are demigods among men...

Comment

Yeah, for some reason they're always with the same name and always -1 at the end.

I have a zillion neck and shoulder problems from using track pads and hunching over a laptop -- just installed one of those under the desk keyboard things to help alleviate that, so I can't imagine trying to type on an iPhone. Do you connect a keyboard and everything? Bleh. (Or congrats on your agility and keen vision... )

Thanks/appreciate it. I'll probably check out my space left in Dropbox.

Comment

I use dropbox. I'm on a Mac, and I'm using Fade In (but have previously used MMS with Dropbox, as well). My active work files live on my dropbox.

Every application I've used literally sees Dropbox as indistinguishable from a local drive. There's even some sort of protection for over-writing your files - I have forgotten to close the file on one computer, worked on it on another, and it wouldn't let me overwrite it. (That being said, I haven't tested the limits of this. There's probably a way to circumvent that protection if you try hard enough. Calling something idiot-proof just means you're over-estimating idiots, etc).

I have time machine backups on my desktop, and keep all active work files on my dropbox. Older versions of the files move (eventually) to my documents folder on my desktop just to reduce clutter, but this means that every time I turn on my desktop, my files are backed up to my time machine drive. Plus files are often recoverable via the drop-box web page (again, I'm sure there are limits to that, which I haven't tested).

Dropbox also has a solid IOS app.

I've found it to be much more intuitive than google drive. YMMV. But I had this problem for a while - not just two computers, but also working with a partner, and given the ability to share folders on your drop-box, this is basically the ideal solution, as far as Im concerned.

I'm curious to see how software developers handle Apple's handoff, which could well be an improvement on this, but I am super happy with dropbox. Much, much better than emailing it to yourself. (Although I think you should do that, periodically, too - it's another layer of backup.)
        Last edited by Ronaldinho; 07-14-2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I use Dropbox frequently (to save to and sometimes pull from). Every work session has a special title+number (I.e. TITLE1a for first session of first draft, then 1b... Sometimes I end up with TITLE1z2h or sumthin like that, depending how many sessions I do over a day/weeks.
          Helps also if I find that I ran down a rabbit hole and have to backtrack story (yeah, sometimes I do veer of my outline/treatment).

Comment

You could just use a flash drive. I haven't tried them but you can get wireless ones you don't even need to plug in.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
              Yeah, for some reason they're always with the same name and always -1 at the end.

I have a zillion neck and shoulder problems from using track pads and hunching over a laptop -- just installed one of those under the desk keyboard things to help alleviate that, so I can't imagine trying to type on an iPhone. Do you connect a keyboard and everything? Bleh. (Or congrats on your agility and keen vision... )

Thanks/appreciate it. I'll probably check out my space left in Dropbox.
              I also have back problems, so it helps that I can lie on my back, side, or stomach as I work on the iPhone or iPad. I don't use a keyboard and mouse...lol. I guess all the years of sms' and console gaming has made my thumbs pretty fast at typing (freaky).

(Xbox Live Gamertag: Mr Deal HD for those that are also avid gamers).

Comment

I switched from Google Drive to Dropbox a few weeks ago because Final Draft for the iPad only worked with the latter. Very happy to have made the change. Google Drive never quite synched up properly across the three machines I use. (A Mac Mini, a MacBook Air, and a Windows desktop.) I email really important files to a dedicated gmail account once a week or so, just to be extra safe.

~Dixon

Comment

Celtx - you download the software on both computers, your scripts get saved to the cloud and are up to date on both computers. Of course you're not dependent on the cloud, you can make local backups too.

I don't know if the other softwares do that, but celtx is a very valid option.

They also have a fantastic ios app.

Good luck!

Comment

Cool, thanks. And hold onto your phone! Sounds like if you lose it, you're extra doomed, so be careful! Yikes.

Comment

I use Mega to sync files between computers.
                      826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

I use a desktop and a macbook pro everyday. At first I used to save to my docs on my desktop and then again in dropbox.

But now I save to dropbox exclusively except when I move onto a new version--then I save a final copy of both to my documents and dropbox.

Dropbox is really the easiest now that I'm not afraid to use it alone. And it's great for sending people links to share.

My dropbox is synched with my iphone, ipad, mabcook and mac.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                          Cool, thanks. And hold onto your phone! Sounds like if you lose it, you're extra doomed, so be careful! Yikes.
                          Actually happened. Lol. Thank God and Jobs for the clouds (iCloud).

Comment

Working...
                          X