No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with police research!

Hey all,

Hopefully someone here will know the answer to this. I want to speak with someone at the LAPD about how detectives go about investigating a kidnapping. I want to make sure I understand their procedure as best as I can. Isn't there a department that handles inquiries from writers? I'm asking in regard to the LAPD, not any other department. Also, same question for the FBI. I'd like to get their POV as well.

Thanks!

Re: Need help with police research!

For the FBI, I'd contact their Office of Public Affairs. Try the LA office first, before HQ. A public information officer will get you to the right person.
    For information regarding FBI Los Angeles' outreach, recruiting, and community events, to include speaker requests, please call (310) 477-6565 and ask for the Office of Public and Congressional Affairs (OPCA) or email [email protected].

Hope this helps.

Although you should be aware that the FBI's entertainment liaison office--called the Investigative Publicity and Public Affairs Unit--keeps a database of requests from the entertainment industry.
    Last edited by dworhach; 08-23-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

https://www.wga.org/writers-room/on-...ask-the-expert

Comment

I'd start by asking your agent if they have consultants at both places. I've only been with CAA, but they did have people who were in their database for this exact purpose (consultants). Maybe your agency does as well.

Otherwise, I just call whomever and go through proper channels. I've never NOT gotten to the person I wanted to sit down with this way.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Benefits of small town living': I'm taking the chief of police and a friend of hers who's been an investigator and a parole officer out for happy hours tacos later this week so I can get drill them for intel for a story I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
            Hey all,

Hopefully someone here will know the answer to this. I want to speak with someone at the LAPD about how detectives go about investigating a kidnapping. I want to make sure I understand their procedure as best as I can. Isn't there a department that handles inquiries from writers? I'm asking in regard to the LAPD, not any other department. Also, same question for the FBI. I'd like to get their POV as well.

Thanks!
            Fake your own kidnapping. When they come rescue you, ask all the questions you can.

Comment

Oh... Why did I not think of this earlier?

Your manager's partner is good friends with an ex-LAPD-homicide cop turned screenwriter (you know who I'm talking about, yeah?). I'd maybe ask him to put you in touch with someone.

Or maybe you're all set already...

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                Oh... Why did I not think of this earlier?

Your manager's partner is good friends with an ex-LAPD-homicide cop turned screenwriter (you know who I'm talking about, yeah?). I'd maybe ask him to put you in touch with someone.

Or maybe you're all set already...
                I am all set with this, but that's great to know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                  I am all set with this, but that's great to know. Thanks!
                  Cool. You got it, man. Glad you're all set!

Comment

Working...
                  X