Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror Movies

My favorite genre is probably horror overall. My favorite movie would be HALLOWEEN 1978 if I was on a game show. I love comedy too and that's been my main focus. But my first manager I landed was off a horror/thriller spec.

This time of year, at the end of August I always think about writing another horror. Maybe I can push myself this year to do it since the genre is so hot and comedy is harder to sell. I mean yes they are all hard.

I always wanted to make an indie comedy like CLERKS (don't many of us on here?) but I secretly dreamed of making a fun horror movie (maybe horror/comedy) probably with a slasher. I've done neither.

Just lamenting lost time and not taking a chance when there's nothing to lose but time and money. At the end of a life, we can't take either with us right?

I'm inspired and depressed at all the same time. I better go get some pumpkin coffee.

Who else is a secret horror fan around here? Or not so secret?

Re: Horror Movies

I'm not much of a fan, but I too would count the original HALLOWEEN as the best of the best.

Not a fan, yet I seem to have written 4 horror features and a horror comedy over the years, since I too keep hearing they're easier to sell than comedy.

None has amounted to anything so far. How's that for (tragi)comedy?

Comment

I'm a casual horror fan. I don't seek out horror films but usually enjoy those that contain some humor. I've never written one, but I've always heard they're easier to sell than the generic indie drama or comedy. I'm wondering if that's really true. Could it be that they're only easier to get made? I see many horror titles that are made by writer-directors or writer/director/producer teams. How many horror scripts are actually sold on spec where the writer is just the writer?
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Yep I luvs me some horror. My personal favourite was the original Elm street. Watched it by myself and left the theatre about 10PM to a deserted street with a serious case of the heebeejeebies!

Completed one horror (low budget talkfest that I had planned on filming myself) and got a few more in the bad ideas room
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'm not a horror fan. I can't watch them (long story... the quick version: Richard Ramirez [Night Stalker] tried to kill me when I was a kid, so nah, can't watch 'em. Been through it in real life). But, I wrote a horror 6 months ago. I got killed out there. No one liked it. ZERO meetings. But, good on my manager for having the balls to take it out. Oh... and it was super stylized [not recommended]. I think I'd have to direct it myself for anyone to super get it. Even then, would people leave liking it? Big twist, but not a fun one.

I think if you go too realistic people don't find it FUN. Seems like the horror that does the best always has some silly GAME element. I bet your horror would be fun.
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

You just keep dropping side comments that would 100% be something I'd write about if it happened to me. "oh yeah a real michael myers tried to kill me in real life... anyhoo..."

Comment

Big horror fan. Very few good horrors. I've seen all of them, I'm ashamed to say, even those that get like a 4.5 on IMDB. It's hard to find anything that truly scares nowadays, and I find the gory type of horrors ala The Terrifier to be flat out disgusting.

I think the Conjuring 2 succeeds on a number of levels that most horrors do not. Hereditary was great until the very end in my humble opinion. IT was good, more of a thriller. The first Sinister was pretty solid. Cabin the woods rock solid. The Thing. Eraserhead. The Ring. The Strangers. Old Holloweens are solid but they're bland. Story doesn't work well for me in many of those.

In hindsight, I don't think I've ever been scared by anything I've read or watched.

Still good movies nonetheless. Oh, a couple Japanese ones I've watched in the past couple years have been good. Would have to get the names. More of slow burners. Horror in the silence.

Comment

What I saw when I was 6 to 12 is what still scares me. 8 is the number I always give. So if I saw Halloween at age 28, I don't think it would scare me at all. But since I saw it when I was little, it never fails to bring me back to that primal fear and as someone who has lived a lot of his life in the burbs, still a real fear.

When I walk down stairs in my house, I often hear the Halloween music in my head. And I love all the sequels. Hallloween 2, 3 and 4 being the best, 5 is garbage (yet I still own 3 copies of it!).... I can go on and on...

Predator scared me -- and still does. Sometimes I look at the trees and think I see something...

I love F13 movies -- part 2 he jumps through the window and I'm still scared to this day of that when it's quiet and I'm near a window...

Aliens is so good.

I love horror. Yes, most don't scare me and I don't care for some subgenres. Japanese horror movies rarely get me. If it involves technology or little kids, it never seems to do anything for me.

I think The Blair Witch was the last time I was scared by a horror movie...

The Entity is freaky!

Most I just watch for fun and when it's fun bad it's great. There is pure filmmaking joy (I think) in some of these bad horror movies.

I wrote 1 script with my friend about an ice hockey team in the town that are all secretly werewolves and if you get on the team, they make you a werewolf and it was a horror/comedy in the vein of Werewolf in London (horror scary, comedy funny) and I still love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  My favorite genre is probably horror overall. My favorite movie would be HALLOWEEN 1978 if I was on a game show. I love comedy too and that's been my main focus. But my first manager I landed was off a horror/thriller spec.

This time of year, at the end of August I always think about writing another horror. Maybe I can push myself this year to do it since the genre is so hot and comedy is harder to sell. I mean yes they are all hard.

I always wanted to make an indie comedy like CLERKS (don't many of us on here?) but I secretly dreamed of making a fun horror movie (maybe horror/comedy) probably with a slasher. I've done neither.

Just lamenting lost time and not taking a chance when there's nothing to lose but time and money. At the end of a life, we can't take either with us right?

I'm inspired and depressed at all the same time. I better go get some pumpkin coffee.

Who else is a secret horror fan around here? Or not so secret?
                  Most of my work over the years has been in horror and I've written my share of horror comedies, which seem have to been quite successful, at any rate they seem to have been rather durable titles in the odd, niche market in which they exist.

I worked for Charlie Band's Full Moon label, writing all sorts of things, and for a while he seemed to gravitate toward horror comedy and I wrote this sort of unofficial trilogy of horror comedy movies a number of years ago.

Head of the Family -- about this family of mutants, ruled by a character with a tiny body a giant head, also featuring Jackie Lovell at her most beautiful in a naked burned-at-the-stake scene.

Hideous! -- Competing collectors of bizarre biological oddities go to war -- things get even stranger when the collection of oddities come to life. Also featuring a topless Jackie Lovell in an ape mask (it doesn't really make sense but I put it in anyway).

The Creeps -- A Mad Scientist has figured out a way to bring the classic monsters to life using an "archetype inducer" -- but needs the first editions of classic works of literature to do it -- thus entangling a feisty librarian in the proceedings. The process screws up resulting in Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and the Wolfman being brought to life -- but all of them come to life at three feet tall.

For whatever reason, those seem to have hit some sort of note of comic weirdness. Anyway, people are still watching them.

I've done other more "straight" horror, both for Charlie Band and elsewhere.

NMS

Comment

Sometimes I look at the trees and think I see something...
                    I am somewhat envious. I appreciate anything that gets me feeling something, no matter the feeling. I have had a couple of near death (inches away) experiences, and for some odd reason, it's not fear that I feel, but rather a sense of adrenaline and the curiosity of "will I overcome this?"

In summary, I would love to see a strange beast squatting in a tree in the night watching me from outside my window. Am I weird?

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                      Most of my work over the years has been in horror and I've written my share of horror comedies, which seem have to been quite successful, at any rate they seem to have been rather durable titles in the odd, niche market in which they exist.

I worked for Charlie Band's Full Moon label, writing all sorts of things, and for a while he seemed to gravitate toward horror comedy and I wrote this sort of unofficial trilogy of horror comedy movies a number of years ago.

Head of the Family -- about this family of mutants, ruled by a character with a tiny body a giant head, also featuring Jackie Lovell at her most beautiful in a naked burned-at-the-stake scene.

Hideous! -- Competing collectors of bizarre biological oddities go to war -- things get even stranger when the collection of oddities come to life. Also featuring a topless Jackie Lovell in an ape mask (it doesn't really make sense but I put it in anyway).

The Creeps -- A Mad Scientist has figured out a way to bring the classic monsters to life using an "archetype inducer" -- but needs the first editions of classic works of literature to do it -- thus entangling a feisty librarian in the proceedings. The process screws up resulting in Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and the Wolfman being brought to life -- but all of them come to life at three feet tall.

For whatever reason, those seem to have hit some sort of note of comic weirdness. Anyway, people are still watching them.

I've done other more "straight" horror, both for Charlie Band and elsewhere.

NMS
                      Horror/comedy to me is the toughest genre to pull off. I have not seen any of those that you've written -- is there one you would rec I watch?

I do enjoy straight horror moreso.

You and Bono may enjoy a comedy called what we do in the shadows.

Comment

You just keep dropping side comments that would 100% be something I'd write about if it happened to me. "oh yeah a real michael myers tried to kill me in real life... anyhoo..."
                        It's actually IN my show going out now (pic of him in the bible). I've had a crazy fukkin life.

So, yeah... I finally wrote about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          It's actually IN my show going out now (pic of him in the bible). I've had a crazy fukkin life.

So, yeah... I finally wrote about it.
                          I am a memoir ghostwriter, if you ever want to talk, haha.

Comment

I think The Blair Witch was the last time I was scared by a horror movie...
                            Swear to god. That's the last movie that truly freaked me the FUKK out.

My buddy had a party a few months ago, the creator of Blair Witch was there, rapped with him. I told him "Dude... after watching your flick I took the VHS tape and fukkin hucked it out the window, no lie... dude I thought that sh!t was real, bruh FUKK that movie!!!"

He's like "That's a RAD review. Love it!"

Comment

I'm not a horror fan, but I liked IT FOLLOWS.

Comment

Working...
                              X