Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Virgin Hero/Heroine

nothing to do with sex btw. i'm just shootin' the breeze.

to me a "virgin" hero is that unique protagonist that we haven't seen before. these are the characters i want to see. i'm bored with the same old hash.

people often think they need to write new stories and they're struggling to find new stories which often can easily be proven to NOT be new. everything has been done. we've seen that in this movie and again in that movie.

but what about the protagonist? i think you can write that same old tired story and make it fresh just by making the protagonist a virgin hero/heroine. a character that we haven't seen be the hero before. this is where people who struggle with fresh ideas should go. not everyone is represented in the industry and therefore, not represented in the storytelling. it's up to us to find that unique... that virgin protagonist that makes and old story seem fresh.

what are some examples that worked? i'll start:

pretty woman - a prostitute hero saves a rich business man from a loveless life
    legally blond - a clueless airhead outwits overeducated harvard students
    carrie - a meek freak who discovers her dark side and seeks revenge
    slumdog millionaire - a poor undereducated indian boy wins a million dollar trivia contest

Re: the Virgin Hero/Heroine

Interesting post. The more I do this stuff, the more I realize that your protagonist truly IS your story. So your protagonist had better be freakin' awesome.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

and you want a protagonist that an A-list actor is dying to play. they want a juicy role they can sink their teeth into. they all need to pay their bills but in their hearts they want to win an oscar.

Comment

Not an American movie, and no A-list actors, but Not One Less has a truly virgin heroine: a 13-year-old girl in rural China who gets a temp job substituting for the village teacher. When the kid who torments her most disappears--sent to Peking to work--she makes her way to the city to find him.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
          nothing to do with sex btw.
          D'oh!
          "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

I was watching a programme last night about the atrocities the taliban are carrying out in pakistan...but the program was focused solely on the lives of the pakistanis from their perspective. It was so sad and such an interesting glimpse into their lives that we dont usually see from mainstream news/media...crying out for a film (with a virgin protag) to be made highlighting how terrorism is tearing their country apart...

Comment

Originally posted by KatPau View Post
              Not an American movie, and no A-list actors, but Not One Less has a truly virgin heroine: a 13-year-old girl in rural China who gets a temp job substituting for the village teacher. When the kid who torments her most disappears--sent to Peking to work--she makes her way to the city to find him.
              i saw this movie. i remember thinking how stupid that girl was and that she was not mature enough to be in charge of children. but she was very determined and courageous throughout and definitely fits the category.

this reminds me of another: Winter's Bone - a 16 yr old hillbillie risks her life to save the home of her family

Comment

Originally posted by JibJib View Post
                I was watching a programme last night about the atrocities the taliban are carrying out in pakistan...but the program was focused solely on the lives of the pakistanis from their perspective. It was so sad and such an interesting glimpse into their lives that we dont usually see from mainstream news/media...crying out for a film (with a virgin protag) to be made highlighting how terrorism is tearing their country apart...
                there's a movie called Osama that you should check out. it's not about bin laden. it's about a 12 yr old taliban girl who had to cut her hair and dress like a boy so she could work and earn money to feed her family. taliban women are not allowed to work and with so many widows they cannot even take care of their families unless they have sons to do it. unfortunately, the girl was taken to taliban school for boys and her girlness came out and she was eventually caught and charged with impersonating a sex, not her own.

Comment

there's a movie called Osama that you should check out. it's not about bin laden. it's about a 12 yr old taliban girl who had to cut her hair and dress like a boy so she could work and earn money to feed her family. taliban women are not allowed to work and with so many widows they cannot even take care of their families unless they have sons to do it. unfortunately, the girl was taken to taliban school for boys and her girlness came out and she was eventually caught and charged with impersonating a sex, not her own.
                  Will check it out, actually i think it sounds vaguely familiar...

Comment

....Winter's Bone - a 16 yr old hillbillie risks her life to save the home of her family
                    Yes!....And I'm trying hard not to be snarky and mention that she may have still been an actual virgin at the old age of 16...

Midnite

Comment

there's a movie called Osama that you should check out. it's not about bin laden. it's about a 12 yr old taliban girl who had to cut her hair and dress like a boy so she could work and earn money to feed her family.
                      Osama was made by good friends of mine - it's a beautiful film that I recommend and the business message behind it is to keep an open mind to what's possible.
                      "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
                        Osama was made by good friends of mine - it's a beautiful film that I recommend and the business message behind it is to keep an open mind to what's possible.
                        i read on imdb that she had only seen one movie her entire life - titanic. and that she was only paid $14 dollars for that leading role... a crazy small amount.

adding to the list:
                        whale rider - 11 yr old maori girl proved she was destined to be the next chief... even though she was a girl

the professional - the youngest hitman, 12 yr old natalie portman trains to be an assassin

seems like these virgin heroines and heros are all virgins as well

Comment

the professional - the youngest hitman, 12 yr old natalie portman trains to be an assassin
                          If I remember correctly, she doesn't actually kill anyone, rather, is taught in a bizarre bonding ritual like a dad taking his son fishing.
                          Leon is a man who lives only to - and knows only how to - kill.

It was called Leon in Europe.
                          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                            If I remember correctly, she doesn't actually kill anyone, rather, is taught in a bizarre bonding ritual like a dad taking his son fishing.
                            Leon is a man who lives only to - and knows only how to - kill.

It was called Leon in Europe.
                            A. The director's cut, he trains her quite a bit, but I don't think she does kill anyone. The cut version is actually better.

B. Bonding maybe, but not like that. If you pay close enough attention, you'll note that Leon gets out of bed with her one morning, pulling up his underoos.

Yeah, I've seen it more than once.

Comment

Re: The Virgin Hero/Heroine

she still fits the category of an original protagonist we hadn't seen before.

Comment

Working...
                              X