Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Portnoy/Bellevue Productions

Has anyone here ever been repped by him or know someone who was/is a client? Just want some overall impressions on him as a manager, if he's good to work with, etc. Thanks.

Re: Jeff Portnoy/Bellevue Productions

You may find this helpful.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/jeffportnoy/

The "Scripts & Scribes" website/podcast features dozens of interviews with managers and agents. Good stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I've listened to that already. I'm more interested in personal dealings good, bad or indifferent. Thanks, though.

Comment

I'm thinking of renewing The Creative Index. VPF is adding up (doh!).

Comment

Jeff is a great guy with great taste. I spoke with him and John Z. when I was in between managers. Things didn't work out but I have a lot of respect for both of them.
          Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
            You may find this helpful.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/jeffportnoy/

The "Scripts & Scribes" website/podcast features dozens of interviews with managers and agents. Good stuff.
            Yeah, that was good stuff. I love it when the podcast has on a manager....they usually have the most interesting things to say because of their unique vantage point of developing writers long term.

Comment

Both good guys who are always open to good projects. Jeff bounced around a bit until he landed with John, and together I think they cover a lot in film and tv. Good team to have on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyP View Post
                Both good guys who are always open to good projects. Jeff bounced around a bit until he landed with John, and together I think they cover a lot in film and tv. Good team to have on your side.
                Do you know that from direct experience? Just asking because there's interest from him in something I wrote.

Comment

I have a friend who is repped with Jeff who feels like Jeff is just sort of waiting for him to come up with something new. To be fair, my friend has been focusing on other work recently, but he's a guy who has credits and I would characterize him as moderately disappointed with Jeff's work representing him. He does have a script of two that it would make sense, in my opinion, to go out with.

I have another friend who is repped with John Z. The thing about him is that he is incredibly hands-on. Like, wants to meet with each of his writers every week, see pages, offers a lot of notes, etc. He sometimes has strong opinions about which way material should go which, having seen drafts before and after notes, I don't completely agree with. My friend is often very positive about his notes at other times.

One important thing to keep in mind, however: somebody can be a mediocre rep for person A and a great rep for person B. There isn't a single rep in this town who doesn't have former (or current) clients who are moderately disappointed with him or her. There is no rep in the world who can do great things for a writer who isn't also being a great client.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                    I have a friend who is repped with Jeff who feels like Jeff is just sort of waiting for him to come up with something new. To be fair, my friend has been focusing on other work recently, but he's a guy who has credits and I would characterize him as moderately disappointed with Jeff's work representing him. He does have a script of two that it would make sense, in my opinion, to go out with.

I have another friend who is repped with John Z. The thing about him is that he is incredibly hands-on. Like, wants to meet with each of his writers every week, see pages, offers a lot of notes, etc. He sometimes has strong opinions about which way material should go which, having seen drafts before and after notes, I don't completely agree with. My friend is often very positive about his notes at other times.

One important thing to keep in mind, however: somebody can be a mediocre rep for person A and a great rep for person B. There isn't a single rep in this town who doesn't have former (or current) clients who are moderately disappointed with him or her. There is no rep in the world who can do great things for a writer who isn't also being a great client.
                    Cool, that was helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Bumping this up. Anyone else with personal experiences at this management firm? Thanks.

Comment

i'm listening to the Jeff Portnoy and it's a little different, since he has a unique POV as having been the head of story departments.

he goes into depth of how coverage is used differently from a studio/producer vs an agency. it's very interesting and if you are concerned or curious about coverage this might enlighten you a bit.

also goes into a discussion of why releases are so importantly.

most common problems with scripts: lack of conflict, lack of structure (rising conflict), tables (reversals) not being turned, no new revelations, characters not being dimensional.

he wants dimensional, proactive, compelling, conflict. and in order to generate conflict characters must have a goal that they pursue and must face opposition both internal and external.

it's an older podcast but worth the time. but really really good. can't stress that enough. tons of info...

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/201...-jeff-portnoy/
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          i'm listening to the Jeff Portnoy and it's a little different, since he has a unique POV as having been the head of story departments.

he goes into depth of how coverage is used differently from a studio/producer vs an agency. it's very interesting and if you are concerned or curious about coverage this might enlighten you a bit.

also goes into a discussion of why releases are so importantly.

most common problems with scripts: lack of conflict, lack of structure (rising conflict), tables (reversals) not being turned, no new revelations, characters not being dimensional.

he wants dimensional, proactive, compelling, conflict. and in order to generate conflict characters must have a goal that they pursue and must face opposition both internal and external.

it's an older podcast but worth the time. but really really good. can't stress that enough. tons of info...

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/201...-jeff-portnoy/

I like it the most when they bring on managers on that show. Other podcasts that I wish were still around - Chicks who script ...and some other writer podcasts that seem to be gone.

Comment

Working...
                          X