No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3 month option deal advice

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
    I agree with what everyone is saying about accepting notes and being collaborative. But I want to add one caveat, at least with regards to how I approach this business.

A producer needs to PAY me for the privilege of complete cooperation.

It's amazing how readily I can flip a switch and rewrite my entire script if I'm being paid. Sure, I'll push back on things I disagree with, but overall, it's a "You're the boss" attitude. We all want the best script, but at the end of the day, I'm their employee.

But if a producer is trying to pay with "promises", then I become much more protective of my work (and more importantly, my TIME). Because if you try to please everyone and try to be seen as "collaborative" this town is more than willing to extract free work from you.

Sure, there have been times when I've entered into free development because I believed in the direction and possibilities of the project. There are more times when I've walked away. It's a case by case decision.

I just want to make this distinction clear for anyone who's reading this thread. There are too many stories of writers who lose years of their career because they didn't want to be seen as "difficult" or "too precious." And they have nothing to show for it.

Never be afraid to walk away from a bad relationship, especially if you're not being paid.
    BILLION and 1% agreed!

Whomever you are (lurkers) out there reading this sh!t. Take it from me. I was stupid enough to fall for promises from a GIGANTIC producer for over a year. "We're so close! We're going to this _____ long list of A-List directors. ___ agency is going to package." I knew his second in command, they'd been to my party, got drunk with them. Thought we were tight.

Nope! Dude finally bailed and I had nothing to show for it, and had gone through $100,000 in savings.

DON'T! DO! SH!T! FOR! FREE! FOR! ANYONE! (a day, a week, fine. Not months! Not a fukkin YEAR!!!)

Never again for me. No matter who the fukk it is. GOD asks me to develop an idea? No prob, pay me bro and we can make that happen, otherwise I'm fine going to hell, bruh! \m/
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
      I agree with what everyone is saying about accepting notes and being collaborative. But I want to add one caveat, at least with regards to how I approach this business.

A producer needs to PAY me for the privilege of complete cooperation.

It's amazing how readily I can flip a switch and rewrite my entire script if I'm being paid. Sure, I'll push back on things I disagree with, but overall, it's a "You're the boss" attitude. We all want the best script, but at the end of the day, I'm their employee.

But if a producer is trying to pay with "promises", then I become much more protective of my work (and more importantly, my TIME). Because if you try to please everyone and try to be seen as "collaborative" this town is more than willing to extract free work from you.

Sure, there have been times when I've entered into free development because I believed in the direction and possibilities of the project. There are more times when I've walked away. It's a case by case decision.

I just want to make this distinction clear for anyone who's reading this thread. There are too many stories of writers who lose years of their career because they didn't want to be seen as "difficult" or "too precious." And they have nothing to show for it.

Never be afraid to walk away from a bad relationship, especially if you're not being paid.
      Yes. Yes. Oh yes. My post presupposes payment. If someone wants me to rewrite my own work for free, I always always say, "Nope." You want me to change it for you, you pay for that. I've never met a writer that worked for after they did free rewrites. You are 1000% right.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
        Yes. Yes. Oh yes. My post presupposes payment. If someone wants me to rewrite my own work for free, I always always say, "Nope." You want me to change it for you, you pay for that. I've never met a writer that worked for after they did free rewrites. You are 1000% right.
        TRUTH!

Working for this super-producer for over a year FOR FREE gained me ZERO favors with him. That's the takeaway. It's not like he calls me with "Hey, thought of you for this." 100% GHOSTED!
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

Working...
          X