Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst Film Ever to Win the Best Picture Oscar

If you ever need to torture information out of me, just put on CRASH. I'll break in two seconds and tell you anything you want to know.
    https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
      To go a little farther back...

How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane (and The Maltese Falcon, and Suspicion, and Sergeant York)
      Mrs. Miniver over Yankee Doodle Dandy
      Going My Way over Double Indemnity
      All About Eve over Sunset Blvd
      An American in Paris over Streetcar
      Around the World in 80 Days over The Ten Commandments
      Midnight Cowboy over Butch Cassidy
      Rocky over Network
      Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now

Everything else people listed is spot on, except for 1999 - The Insider should have won hands down. Incredible movie.
      I'd only pick MIDNIGHT over BC&SD because I felt the former had stronger, more mature themes and storyline. Loved them both though. And the fact that HGMVW won over KANE must baffle people to this day.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Actually, it's not surprising Kane lost given how Hearst threatened Academy voters into not voting for it. That, of course, was after he threatened theater owners to not show it and commanded his newspapers to never mention it, which is why the greatest movie ever made was also a flop.

Comment

just wanted to say that The English Patient is a good movie. All About Eve is a superb one, as is Sunset Blvd(no scandal in losing to a superb movie).

Comment

In the Heat of the Night is a pretty average movie that somehow got named the best of its year.

Comment

Lord of the Rings hands down. Not just because it's a bad movie, but also because it's not a standalone movie, it's the third part of a story, there's no beginning so you have to watch the other two.

Comment

Oliver!

Comment

Yeah, but '68 was a weak year. Oliver wasn't really an upset.

Comment

I would say "Rainman". It was boosted by Dustin Hoffman's performance but nothing else about it impressed me (relative term here, it's a great movie), compared to the truly great movies that have won.
                    SL35
                    Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Creepy, stilted, and SO SLOW "Gigi" over fabulous and snappy "Auntie Mame"!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                        I would say "Rainman". It was boosted by Dustin Hoffman's performance but nothing else about it impressed me (relative term here, it's a great movie), compared to the truly great movies that have won.
                        Much as I love Dusty I thought his performance was overrated. Cruise impressed me much more, esp. at that stage of his career. I was more taken by MISSISSIPPI BURNING that year even though it skated from the truth at times.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                          Much as I love Dusty I thought his performance was overrated. Cruise impressed me much more, esp. at that stage of his career. I was more taken by MISSISSIPPI BURNING that year even though it skated from the truth at times.
                          Good point on Cruise. I think I went into it with a shoulder chip about him. This was the first time I'd really been impressed. It was still a bit of a take on his usual roles at the time, IMO.
                          SL35
                          Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                            Yeah, but '68 was a weak year. Oliver wasn't really an upset.
                            It wasn't an upset, but Oliver! doesn't exactly have the same reputation that 2001: A Space Odyssey has now.

Comment

My opinion about this kind of thing is that you obviously have movies that are clearly more beloved as time goes on and can therefore be considered "better" in some regard, but for the most part, the winner that people claim didn't deserve the award is still a very, very solid if not great movie in its own right..at least in some key aspects.

Titanic might be sappy and run long, but the production was incredible. Return of the King might not be a great stand alone movie, but it's clearly a reward for the three movies combined. American Beauty and Ordinary People are carried by amazing writing and acting.

With all that said, Crash is by far the worst best movie ever. The acting is the only thing going for it. Everything else is pretty middling to downright terrible.
                              On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Not that it's a bad movie, but FORREST GUMP beating PULP FICTION and SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is a travesty.

Comment

Working...
                                X