Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tracking Board / Rock Shaink Jr. / Launch Pad Contest

In my search for the best possible contest to enter (can't afford them all), the one seemingly legitimate contest I found that doesn't identify themselves publicly in any way/shape/form is The Tracking Board. Does anyone know their background and why the cloak and dagger routine? It appears that the site is owned by a low level producer named Rock Shaink Jr. despite him flatly denying that in several tweets to Franklin Leonard:

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/...32125765169152

There's also this previous thread that shows Rock Shaink quickly had Deadline edit their post and remove his name in regards to a Lunch Pad winner:

"The script gained some buzz by being tapped as a finalist in the Tracking Board/Launch Pad contest run by Rock Shaink, who’ll produce the film with Wick."

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=76876&page=6

What gives? Why would every single industry script contest, script hosting, and script analysis site (which it also appears they offer) publicly identify themselves except this one? It also appears there is a great deal of collusion going on in regards to their contest. If you look at the number of scripts that have won either the Tracking Board RECOMMENDS or the Launch Pad Contest, the name Rock Shaink is quite frequently attached as a producer. Seems very fishy. I love the fact that Black List (Franklin), Virtual Pitch Fest (David Zuckerman), Inktip (Jerrol), even Great American PitchFest (Signe) and so on and so on ALL identify themselves and are fully transparent.

It appears that Rock Shaink Jr. is a writer as well. Here's a somewhat humorous review of his film at Sundance:

https://www.popoptiq.com/sundance-20...into-sundance/

Furthermore, tblaunchpad.com is registered to a "Ted Smith" which, in addition to sounding like a fake name, shows zero association in any other web reference to the contest or anywhere on IMDBPro. Very strange.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Re: The Tracking Board / Rock Shaink Jr. / Launch Pad Contest

I don' t know much about it other than that GirlinGrey gave Launch Pad an Honorable Mention, i.e. not in the top ten contests, and that you are an AMAZING detective.

(I'm a bit unclear as to your use of terms like 'fishy' and 'collusion.' Maybe I didn't read closely enough though.)

good luck-

http://www.theafw.com/blog/10-import...-competitions/

Comment

It seems pretty clear to me that a) he runs it or has significant influence over it, and b) he more than likely uses it to find material to produce.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this, but the secretive nature you highlight indeed makes it seem like he has something to hide.

That being said, dozens of writers have been able to obtain representation and many have garnered sales from placing in the competition. It also offers many more opportunities for recognition than most contests as it recognizes the Top 75, then Top 50, then Top 25, then Top 10 placers (one of whom is currently a long-time DDPer, Jai Brandon -- congrats, Jai!!).

So, I think that while there are undoubtedly some fishy circumstances, the end benefit of placers have a strong chance of launching a career is worth it.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I'm just now seeing this. Thanks, UpandComing! Let me share my experience thus far.

A couple days ago I received an email from the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of The Tracking Board (his name isn't Ted Smith):

Jai,

I recently had a fantastic call with Rock Shaink and Dash Aiken from Romark Entertainment regarding Whispers From the Watchtower, and they reached out seeing an intro. Rock & Dash were recently behind setting up the Launch Pad script Marian with Sony for Margot Robbie to star, and before that they’d also set up the sci-fi/thriller Earthless with Ridley Scott at Fox. Personally being a huge fan of Whispers, when they reached out asking for what they should read ASAP, this was my immediate send. So, when they got back to me the next day telling me how much they loved it, I was beyond excited to reach out to you. So, before I made an email intro to everyone, I just wanted to check in with you to be sure that was alright, and to see if there was anything new I should be aware of before connecting you guys? Otherwise, I couldn’t be happier with their excitement, and beyond producing, they’ve also been huge advocates for us on the Launch Pad side of things, and have helped a lot of writers land reps in the process as well.
        Yesterday I had a phone conversation with Rock and can say he's truly an awesome guy. Well connected, but very much on the level. He sent the script to a manager friend at 3 Arts and the manager got back to him within 12 hours to say he loved it (and wants to speak with me). We're scheduled to have a three way conversation later today.
        Rock sounds very passionate about the story. In terms of anything being fishy, I can say that's not the case. If Rock does use the Launchpad competition to find projects to produce, what's the harm? If your script places highly and he's interested in your material, if for some reason you don't like that he's affiliated with the Tracking Board, simply decline his interest. If you're asking me should you enter, I would say "absolutely." Whispers from the Watchtower was collecting virtual dust inside my computer until The Launchpad Competition came along.
        FADE IN:
        PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
        NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Awesome news, Jai! Thanks for the firsthand insight, and best of luck with everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Jen915 View Post
            Furthermore, tblaunchpad.com is registered to a "Ted Smith" which, in addition to sounding like a fake name, shows zero association in any other web reference to the contest or anywhere on IMDBPro. Very strange.

Can anyone shed some light here?
            I did some deep internet searching. Looks like the business entity that runs The Tracking Board is also registered to "Ted Smith." I don't think it's that strange. Maybe he doesn't want to be known as a guy running contests?

Comment

I did a little bit more research. First off, the founder of the Tracking Board according to their Angel List page is "Chris Contreras."

HOWEVER Franklin Leonard pointed out in a tweet that no one has actually interacted with this guy in person. He just emails. Franklin tweeted about this in May 2015:

"Has anyone MET "Chris Contreras?" Is there any evidence of his existing outside of @mytrackingboard? #scriptchat #wouldlovetobewrong"

Interesting article about this:

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-...cial-networks/

Comment

Having been a finalist in two 2016 Tracking Board competitions, I have emailed and talked with Chris many times. Tracking Board is absolutely legit, and I've had meetings all over town because of them.

In regards to Rock, he's been a judge for Tracking Board and often uses them to identify new writers/projects, like Jai said. Rock is a great person and very well connected, a real pleasure to work with. There's nothing fishy about it, this is the way projects are set up. You'd be lucky to get a project going with him.

Honestly, I've quarter-ed and semi-ed in several big name competitions, as well as placed in one. As far as making connections and getting my scripts in front of eyes that matter, Tracking Board was the only one that delivered.

OP, are you only looking to enter one contest? What's your end goal?

Comment

Also, Tracking Board itself is (exactly what it sounds like) a tracking site for industry news, deals, reviews, market, etc. The Launch Pad competition was set up secondary to that. I was following Tracking Board for industry information long before I entered Launch Pad.

They also do the Hit List and the Young and Hungry List, both of which are well respected.

Comment

Man, Rock is one of the good guys. He's one of the producers on a couple of my projects. I have had many, many calls with him and his team, they're all great. Very, very well connected and when I went to LA, he helped secure me a manager and also got me in meetings all over town, including ones with the big dogs of CAA, WME and Paradigm.

I can't speak for the TB competition as I had just queried him out of the blue with a logline. He responded to my logline within two minutes to read the script and within a day, he was on board. A few weeks later, I was in LA at their place in Silver Lake. He took me out to dinner one night and we had lunch another time before I left. He's just a really cool dude and completely legit.

I agree with Dunelm, you'd be thrilled to have Romark behind you.

Comment

A produced feature writer I know entered their tv contest. Pretty sure that would not have happened if not legit.

I've been on the tb several years. Lots of produced writers on there. Again, doubt they'd be there if it was in any way "iffy."

Comment

A few acquaintances of mine tried their coverage service and didn't think too much of it.

Comment

A direct result of placing top 10 in their competition: http://www.tracking-board.com/launch...ent-exclusive/
                          FADE IN:
                          PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                          NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                            A direct result of placing top 10 in their competition: http://www.tracking-board.com/launch...ent-exclusive/
                            Awesome, Jai! Great news!

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                              Good for you, Jai. Godspeed!

Comment

Working...
                              X