X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaming up with an A-list producer

hey guys-

so I have my next spec idea.

I briefly pitched it to a producer who has made some of my favorite movies (and how I am working with on something else, incidentally)

He was super excited about it and wants to sit down with me and go over it in greater depth.

Questions:

- what are the pros/cons of teaming up with a producer at such an early stage?
    - would it be wiser to write it, send it to my reps, then have them send it to that producer as well as other people they think would be right for it? in other words move in a much less "incubated" way.
    - would I be married to the producer in any way unless he flat-out bought the screenplay from me?

Re: Teaming up with an A-list producer

Well, I've put in my two cents on this one:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ewpost&t=83845

Good luck with your project!

Comment

Pros - You have a good producer, that's a big step.
      Cons - You are married to them the moment you implement their notes so if they don't work out for whatever reason, you can't just ditch them. There's more nuance to this but...

...you have reps, why are you not discussing this with them? I've noticed that you seem to ask a lot of questions that your reps should be answering.

Comment

Because:
        1) I enjoy the camaraderie on here.
        2) Inevitably a bunch of professional writers might have a different take on something than my agents/managers.
        3) I would prefer to present a plan to my agent or at the very least have a somewhat clear idea of what I want to do.

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
        Cons - You are married to them the moment you implement their notes so if they don't work out for whatever reason, you can't just ditch them. There's more nuance to this but...

...you have reps, why are you not discussing this with them? I've noticed that you seem to ask a lot of questions that your reps should be answering.

Comment

My Two Cents FWIW: You mention that you're working with this producer on another project, right? If you enjoy working with them and feel that they bring real creative value to the process, and are a good fit for this new idea, then developing with them is definitely something to consider. Having a passionate producer on board is a big piece of the puzzle that is getting a movie made, so if you can do that early, and you're not afraid of the process spiraling into some form of development hell, then go for it if that's what your gut says.

I found myself in a very similar situation recently, where the producers of my first film (which we developed together from the concept stage up) absolutely flipped for a seed of a new idea that I was telling them about and wanted in. I think the world of these guys, both creatively and personally, so didn't think twice about the opportunity to immediately get another thing going with them. I basically just told my reps that I wanted to make this happen with them, so while of course let's get a fair deal, let's also not fight tooth and nail over the deal points. It was pretty painless and we got to work. I'll add that I really love the collaborative process (when it's working well, which it does with these guys), so that added value to the experience for me, versus just locking myself in a room and breaking it myself.

If you genuinely enjoy working with this guy and you trust his creative process, then I say go with your gut.

Comment

I mean, doesn't it just depend?

Does the producer have a deal at a studio? If so, is this a project that belongs at that particular studio? Is the producer exclusive or first-look? Does the studio care about this guy?

Does the producer have strong relationships with a particular actor who would be essential/important in getting your movie made?

Does the producer offer some other unique value proposition?

In general, I feel like it's usually better for a script to be unencumbered if it's a script that could live many places. But there are plenty of exceptions. It's really just hard to judge without knowing more info. Feel free to PM me, if you want my (relatively inexpert) opinion.

Comment

Unfortunately it's hard to give advice because so much of this depends on the situation.

In general, it's best to maintain as much ownership of your scripts as possible. But if the guy has a development fund and could buy it off pitch, then that's something to consider.

Or, if this guy dominates a market segment (i.e., he's Jason Blum and you're working on a low budget, high-concept horror), then it might be worthwhile to hitch yourself to that horse early.

Again, so much depends on where you are in your career, what the project is, who the producer is, what the producer's engagement level is, what the market temperature for your script is, etc.

But all things being equal, I would take the meeting with the producer to discuss the idea. Keep it loose. Don't get too deep in the weeds on the script. Don't send treatments, even if he offers to give notes on it. Then tell him when the script is done, you'll make sure your reps send it to him first. Don't ask for too much, and don't offer too much. His relationship with you has bought him a first-look, but that's it.

As for this question:

There is a lot of value in seeking outside opinion. Your reps represent your best interest, but they also represent their own careers and their company's best interest. 90% of the time, the interests of all 3 of those entities align (what's best for the writer is what's best for the agent is what's best for the company). But sometimes they don't.

Before approaching my reps with a question, I like to have thought through what I feel is best for ME. If they have a strong opinion, I'm open to being swayed by their expertise. But I usually open with, "Here's what I want to do. What are your thoughts?"

Because at the end of the day, nobody cares as much about a writer's career as the writer.

Comment

Cons - You are married to them the moment you implement their notes so if they don't work out for whatever reason, you can't just ditch them.

Correct, unless you get it in writing up front that the script is yours free and clear if the producer tries and fails to set it up. Not an unusual or unreasonable request if the producer isn't going to buy it as a pitch.

Comment

Thanks guys. Amazing info as usual!

Comment

I don't think it's a bad idea if they're A-list. The troubles tend to increase the less legit a producer is - they're desperate to hold onto material that they really shouldn't have a claim to.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind: if they have a deal at one studio, what'll probably happen is that they'll take the script in there and try to set it up. If they don't, you should be free to take it other places to try to sell it without them. It would be worth having this conversation, in a non threatening way, up front. Just a "how will this work?" type of thing.

If they can go anywhere, they might go multiple places and try to sell it... meaning if they don't set it up, it'll be exposed and harder for you to set up on your own later. But honestly, if an A-list producer brings it in and can't sell it, it's not like you going in without someone would have gotten a better result.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X