No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you do here?

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    That’s just it. I didn’t ask him. He offered. HE brought it up. So I figured, why not?
    To be that's a red flag in general because that legal stuff is on his mind, you know? The way our dumb idiot in chief is a huge fan of NDAs.

Again, I'm sorry, but I would move on.

Of course the detective in me might send one of my friends he doesn't know on the case and see if what info they can find out about him... but that's the movie version. Real life it's better to say "that sucks" and not think about him again.

And I say that as a person who is still mad some kid who hit him in 4th grade in a soccer handshake line. So I know how hard that is....

Comment

About all the copyrighting and WGA registration stuff, I came to the conclusion it was just another way to steal money from writers. Every now and then you see someone sue like a huge TV show saying it was there idea, but I don't think many of those are valid. We've all had ideas that have become movies or TV shows. I think my friend actually knows he had an idea stolen by a bigger writer and he's a lawyer -- and he just said -- I can't sue because that would kill my career. And he knew he would have more stuff -- and he did. He's a working pro.

My point is it's paying for something we already are entitled too.

What I don't get is how in the music industry all the time musicians are sued for songs sounding like old songs and 90% of the time I barely hear it... if that happened in film land, we'd all be guilty of sounding like other movies. I just think there's only so many chords in the world, how can you not find at least one other song that sounds the same?

I hate that we live in a sue first society. It's terrible.

I think I went off topic, my bad. Sue me.

Comment

PM his phone number, I'll smoke him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          ...I think my friend actually knows he had an idea stolen by a bigger writer and he's a lawyer -- and he just said -- I can't sue because that would kill my career....
          But it's what you can prove, not what you know. Leading to...

About all the copyrighting and WGA registration stuff, I came to the conclusion it was just another way to steal money from writers. ... My point is it's paying for something we already are entitled too.
          As we've been discussing, the copyright you have when you merely create something vs. the copyright you have when you publish it to the world (and simply querying a script isn't publishing it; I'd asked the copyright office about this) vs. registering the copyright, published or not, is significant if or when some legal issue ever arises.

Conflating I.P. registration with all the scam "consulting" services such as notes and coverage and hosting and email blitz services, including the various script "registration" services that pretend to equate with (c), isn't wise.

With regard to the latter, there's registration at the copyright office, which is recognized around the world (except maybe China ) for lifetime + 75 years etc. etc., and then there's everything else.

This includes the WGA type, and I've even seen some other sites that have a "service" for registering your scripts. (Obviously, these proprietors have figured out what easy money it is, from the gullible we, and are willing to provide the minimum value that WGA does, for doing the same thing.) Don't get fooled by them!

This is like debating the value of "insurance". Nice try to win that one.

What I don't get is how in the music industry all the time musicians are sued for songs sounding like old songs and 90% of the time I barely hear it... if that happened in film land, we'd all be guilty of sounding like other movies. I just think there's only so many chords in the world, how can you not find at least one other song that sounds the same?
          I do agree on this one. We should all try to put out scripts to music and we'd probably be far wealthier, and get there faster.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
            But it's what you can prove, not what you know. Leading to...

As we've been discussing, the copyright you have when you merely create something vs. the copyright you have when you publish it to the world (and simply querying a script isn't publishing it; I'd asked the copyright office about this) vs. registering the copyright, published or not, is significant if or when some legal issue ever arises.
            screenplays are never intended to be published because it's final form is a FILM not a novel to be sold in print. the 'print' is the film. a short story is protected as all written forms of stories whether it is published or not.

the WGA does not read the work. i know because i once has to prove the date of when i registered my copyright because someone here (on DDP) looked at my logline accused me a 'lifting' their idea and was able to prove that my registration predated theirs by 2 years before they even wrote theirs.

WGA is a logging and storage warehouse. they do not verify the legality or legitimacy of the registration or try to prove or disprove eligibility.

your example at the copyright office might be a different story, but what throws me off is the expense, the $250.00 that doesn't make sense at all.

the point is, regardless of whether or not you register your copyright, the law protects you. as long as you can prove your origin date. the reason a registration is valuable is because of it's convenience. it's a third party who has no vested interest in your material.

Conflating I.P. registration with all the scam "consulting" services such as notes and coverage and hosting and email blitz services, including the various script "registration" services that pretend to equate with (c), isn't wise.

With regard to the latter, there's registration at the copyright office, which is recognized around the world (except maybe China ) for lifetime + 75 years etc. etc., and then there's everything else.

This includes the WGA type, and I've even seen some other sites that have a "service" for registering your scripts. (Obviously, these proprietors have figured out what easy money it is, from the gullible we, and are willing to provide the minimum value that WGA does, for doing the same thing.) Don't get fooled by them!
            i believe the WGA is a 5 year registration. the US copyright registration is longer, if i recall correctly. the reason you use the WGA is because it is a recognized industry standard.

the bottom line, and my point really to all writers, is this is a legal right that you have and as such YOU should do the due diligence to understand at least minimally what is means.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

COPYRIGHT AND NDA AND SUCH...

I'm saying there's always a risk sending material to strangers.

I'm just confused how you knew of him and how he knew of your project and why he would do this at all...

I'm sorry to hear all this, but what I would do would be not to engage anyone like this online again unless they work for a real production company.

I want to punch this guy in the face for you, but I don't know why. And I want to shake you and say, please don't do this again. lesson learned.
              Thanks for your comment, and yeah, I wish you could punch him in the face, too.

He reached out to ME on a FB filmmakers group, after I posted about my female-driven thriller.

He asked if we could talk on the phone. The guy seemed to be who he said he was. I checked out his imdb page. Nothing to swoon over, but you never know, right? And, as I said, I got the impression he has bucks.

Now, here's the thing: He has not responded to my emails and my texts have bounced back. He has seemingly, FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Why the F would someone do this? I'm not overly paranoid in that I think his plan his to rip off my screenplay, but yeah, he could definitely rip off the concept.

I feel I should take some sort of action here, but I'll be damned what that is. Unless I go back to the FB group and post a kind of broad "alert," not using his name, naturally. Or, I'll just forget the whole damned thing.

BTW, in all my years on this site, I've never connected with a producer. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                PM his phone number, I'll smoke him out.
                Will do! PM forthcoming.

Comment

The whole thing is kind of odd.

NDA's are what writers sign when they're working with a studio on a high profile project. I had to sign them when I worked with Illumination on future projects.

It would have made more sense to me if he asked you to sign a release form - that's pretty standard.

I've never heard of a producer having to sign anything before they read a script.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                    Thanks for your comment, and yeah, I wish you could punch him in the face, too.

He reached out to ME on a FB filmmakers group, after I posted about my female-driven thriller.

He asked if we could talk on the phone. The guy seemed to be who he said he was. I checked out his imdb page. Nothing to swoon over, but you never know, right? And, as I said, I got the impression he has bucks.

Now, here's the thing: He has not responded to my emails and my texts have bounced back. He has seemingly, FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Why the F would someone do this? I'm not overly paranoid in that I think his plan his to rip off my screenplay, but yeah, he could definitely rip off the concept.

I feel I should take some sort of action here, but I'll be damned what that is. Unless I go back to the FB group and post a kind of broad "alert," not using his name, naturally. Or, I'll just forget the whole damned thing.

BTW, in all my years on this site, I've never connected with a producer. ;-)
                    did you have contact with him for like 1 day or you've talked to him or say his name over the course of months, years? Like the way you interact with people on here and then you may connect?

My question is did you talk to him before this interaction?

Also if you click on his FB username or however he posted, there's nothing new?

Is there anyone else on FB message board you can PM and ask if they have dealt with this person?

Yes, I have zero idea what he could have done. Maybe he read the script and hated it. Maybe he was just showing off and then got scared that he didnt' have any money. Maybe he was flirting. I don't know.

But whatever you're concept is, someone else already wrote, anyone can "steal" it, but it will never be your work. If he tries to slap his name on someone's else's script, he's not going to get very far when people start asking him to change things etc.

Listen, is there a chance HE is on this board too? I mean we are all anonymous. Or most of us, except Jeff Lowell. I'm really Bono, but dont' tell anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      The whole thing is kind of odd.

NDA's are what writers sign when they're working with a studio on a high profile project. I had to sign them when I worked with Illumination on future projects.

It would have made more sense to me if he asked you to sign a release form - that's pretty standard.

I've never heard of a producer having to sign anything before they read a script.

Am I missing something?

Not really. I was taken aback, as well. He offered, and I said okay. Maybe because he's also an "actor?" I suppose I should have asked why he thought it was necessary. Live and learn.

Comment

did you have contact with him for like 1 day or you've talked to him or say his name over the course of months, years? Like the way you interact with people on here and then you may connect?

My question is did you talk to him before this interaction?

Also if you click on his FB username or however he posted, there's nothing new?

Is there anyone else on FB message board you can PM and ask if they have dealt with this person?

Yes, I have zero idea what he could have done. Maybe he read the script and hated it. Maybe he was just showing off and then got scared that he didnt' have any money. Maybe he was flirting. I don't know.

But whatever you're concept is, someone else already wrote, anyone can "steal" it, but it will never be your work. If he tries to slap his name on someone's else's script, he's not going to get very far when people start asking him to change things etc.

Listen, is there a chance HE is on this board too? I mean we are all anonymous. Or most of us, except Jeff Lowell. I'm really Bono, but dont' tell anyone.

You know...I don't know. It's just one of those conundrums that leaves you scratching your head. That's all. I still believe in courtesy. Yeah. Idiotic, I know. If he changed his mind, or whatever, shooting me a three-second email would have done the job.

Okay. Enough said. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
                          Copyrighting your work is sufficient. I have never nor would I ever ask for anyone to sign a NDA. No offense to the poster or those who disagree, but it's a rookie move. The threat of having work stolen is close enough to zero that worrying about it is the real mistake in a situation like this. Again, just my opinion and I don't mean to upset MargoChanning.
                          100% agree.

It's incredibly unlikely that you'd have anything stolen. It WAY cheaper to simply pay the writer (especially a newbie) rather than have to face a lawsuit -- and any experienced producer knows that.

In the very unlikely event that something is stolen, you own the copyright with or without registration -- though you have to register before suing, so it's a good idea to do it sooner rather than later.
                          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

NDA for screenplays is unheard of, the fact that this Producer bringing it up must be an amateur, also Producers don't use their own money, so doesn't matter if he has dough or not.

Screenplays are copywritable but concepts aren't. People in development have told me stories about where they have rejected screenplays but used the "concept". Your only protection is to write the best screenplay.

You should post to your FB group and ask about they guy. Likely he's approached other people too.

Comment

Thank you, both, for the last two comments.

I've pretty much put this aside. People are whacked and there is no getting around it.

The script has a copyright and WGA registration, so that's it. I did post on the FB group, by the way.

Just another leg of the "journey." Thanks, again.

Comment

Working...
                              X