these questions are for writers with reps and those without. if you have the time and inclination to respond i would be grateful.
Writers With Managers:
- what would you like them to do that they do not do?
- how often do you communicate with your manager?
- how do they guide your career?
- what is a fair turnaround time to read your screenplay (any draft)?
- how do they communicate their notes on a draft?
- do they have a strategic plan to develop your career in the first year, 5 years and beyond?
- what are your biggest disappointments with having a manager?
- what were you not expecting (good or bad) that impacted your writing?
- what would you have liked to ask before you signed that you didn't ask?
- what were your initial expectations of having a manager? which ones were realistic and which were not?
- what are the best aspects of your manager relationship? what are their greatest strengths and their greatest weaknesses?
- what would you tell a writer who doesn't have a manager, what they should know and understand before going in?
Writers Without Managers:
- do they send you an active list of open writing assignments? or is this strictly an agent's responsibilities?
- what do you hope a manager will do for you?
- how often do you expect to communicate with your manager?
- how quickly do you expect them to turn around a draft with notes?
- do you have a plan for your career path?
- do you have a strategy on how to execute your plan?
- what questions would you ask a manager who offered to rep you?