Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
    There is nothing a writer should be doing when a spec goes out in terms of impacting that spec. At that point it is in the reps and producers hands.

Best thing to do is not over analyze and freak out. I think that's why a lot go off and focus on other things.

Best,

MB
    Ok thanks Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
      Ok thanks Michael.
      No problem.

Best,

MB
      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Dear Michael,

Wow.

Just read entire thread (instead of a script), and I am grateful that with 0 free time you have incorporated this forum into your routine!

Hmmmm...a pitch is beginning to form...An affable, generous and accessible literary manager is ruthlessly harassed by an unhinged writer who threatens to destroy him and everything he holds dear in 36 hours unless he can find and sign the writer...

Quick tip for other aspiring writers between jobs: over the past year I have posted an ad to write the first 5 pages of your script on fiverr.com, and to date I have completed about a dozen of these 'gigs'. It's great practice for little pay (no shame in getting paid to write), but three grew into full-length projects that ended up netting a couple hundred bucks each.

This has helped me learn how to adapt some very diverse pitches, short stories or even novels.

Best,

Markerstone
        "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
          Dear Michael,

Wow.

Just read entire thread (instead of a script), and I am grateful that with 0 free time you have incorporated this forum into your routine!

Hmmmm...a pitch is beginning to form...An affable, generous and accessible literary manager is ruthlessly harassed by an unhinged writer who threatens to destroy him and everything he holds dear in 36 hours unless he can find and sign the writer...

Quick tip for other aspiring writers between jobs: over the past year I have posted an ad to write the first 5 pages of your script on fiverr.com, and to date I have completed about a dozen of these 'gigs'. It's great practice for little pay (no shame in getting paid to write), but three grew into full-length projects that ended up netting a couple hundred bucks each.

This has helped me learn how to adapt some very diverse pitches, short stories or even novels.

Best,

Markerstone
          Happy to help all the writers around here out with advice. Glad it is appreciated.

Best,

MB
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hi Michael,

Do you think with the success of BRIDESMAIDS writing a female driven comedy is a sensible spec option for a comedy writer now?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
              Hi Michael,

Do you think with the success of BRIDESMAIDS writing a female driven comedy is a sensible spec option for a comedy writer now?

EJ
              All depends on the idea. I know that's a very general/broad response, but is really what it comes down to.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

I posted this on twitter, but thought I'd post it here too.

I love this commercial and think it also applies to screenwriting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkX6xQM_QE8&noredirect=1

Swing your swing. Find YOUR voice.

Best,

MB
                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Best,

MB
                  Very cool. Thanks.

Comment

Best,

MB
                    But I have no arms! AND I've got laryngitis!

Comment

Hey Michael,

Does a writer's age matter at all? Too young? Too old? Where does it fall for you on that question?

Comment

Originally posted by absolutepower View Post
                        Hey Michael,

Does a writer's age matter at all? Too young? Too old? Where does it fall for you on that question?
                        There was a very recent Script Notes Podcast that took a stab at this very question. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion, but John and Craig's answer boiled down to this: Ageism exists. You can't get around it. People WILL judge you based on your age. However, a great script is a great script, and they will love you, no matter your age, as long as your writing great scripts. That's all there is to it.

I happen to agree.
                        "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
                        --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks again for taking time to answer questions.

I would like to ask a question that deals with the difficult or painful topic of breaking up with an agent or manager.

It seems obvious in the manner in which it should be done, but from a writers point of view, are there any things writers should look out for with regards to early signs that the wheels are falling off the relationship with their rep, and it looks like a break-up is imminent?

What are the top reasons a rep would drop a client? And how can a writer remain a good client?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by absolutepower View Post
                            Hey Michael,

Depends on what you want to do. In features, not so much. In TV, it would be challenging for a 45 year old to get a job as a bottom level staff writer. Not impossible, but just challenging.

Best,

MB
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Gssstudios View Post
                              There was a very recent Script Notes Podcast that took a stab at this very question. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion, but John and Craig's answer boiled down to this: Ageism exists. You can't get around it. People WILL judge you based on your age. However, a great script is a great script, and they will love you, no matter your age, as long as your writing great scripts. That's all there is to it.

I happen to agree.
                              Very true.

Best,

MB
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                                Hi Michael,

Thanks again for taking time to answer questions.

I would like to ask a question that deals with the difficult or painful topic of breaking up with an agent or manager.

It seems obvious in the manner in which it should be done, but from a writers point of view, are there any things writers should look out for with regards to early signs that the wheels are falling off the relationship with their rep, and it looks like a break-up is imminent?

What are the top reasons a rep would drop a client? And how can a writer remain a good client?

EJ
                                Every relationship is different. Ultimately you have to decide if the relationship is working.

A lack of success. If a writer is turning out good work but just not getting a sale, I wouldn't drop them. If they turned out several bad scripts in a row (3, 4, or 5), and were bombing in the room, I'd have to reevaluate things (as time spent on that client is time away from others).

As far as how to remain a good client. Do the work. Put in the effort. Be patient. Some have success quickly, others take a lot of time. Everyone is different.

Again, every client/situation is different. I've had clients have overnight success, and others that took a year or two of hard working and grinding to get there.

Best,

MB
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X