Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

^More hopeful than misread. Seems like the internet/tracking board are the biggest reason for the lack of writer leverage. =/

Wonder if it'd be a worthwhile idea for the WGA to talk w/ China and contract a slick hacker team to take down tracking boards en masse.

Comment

Originally posted by OCeeBee View Post
      ^More hopeful than misread. Seems like the internet/tracking board are the biggest reason for the lack of writer leverage. =/

Wonder if it'd be a worthwhile idea for the WGA to talk w/ China and contract a slick hacker team to take down tracking boards en masse.
      No. That has nothing to do with it. Instead is saying silly things like that, take some time to read articles/books and the trades to actually learn something about the business.

Having wildly misguided judgements about things you don't know anything about is a waste of time.

Best,

MB
      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Geez... In the article, the assertion is made that tracking boards contributed to a rapid increase in knowledge about where scripts stand at any given time, which took away much of the leverage writers and their agents had, as they could no longer run the bidding for scripts up based on panic, lack of knowledge, and confusion. Thus, spec sales are for less money, because of a more informed buyer base. The quotes are there to back it up....

It may be silly to think anyone would go so far as to hire hackers to take down tracking boards, but that has nothing to do with not understanding the issues. Are tracking boards the only factor? No. Risk, recession, etc are all factors. But is it a factor? Seems like it.

Anyway, thanks for advising whether you think spec sales will ever come back in full.
        Last edited by OCeeBee; 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OCeeBee View Post
          Geez... In the article, the assertion is made that tracking boards contributed to a rapid increase in knowledge about where scripts stand at any given time, which took away much of the leverage writers and their agents had, as they could no longer run the bidding for scripts up based on panic, lack of knowledge, and confusion. Thus, spec sales are for less money, because of a more informed buyer base. The quotes are there to back it up....

It may be silly to think anyone would go so far as to hire hackers to take down tracking boards, but that has nothing to do with not understanding the issues. Are tracking boards the only factor? No. Risk, recession, etc are all factors. But is it a factor? Seems like it.

Anyway, thanks for advising whether you think spec sales will ever come back in full.
          It is the lack of understanding and how it works on both sides that I am talking about.

What about when a script is so hot that every tracking board is talking about it, wanting to get their hands on the script, thus creating more heat in the marketplace to drive up the sale price? What about when a script doesn't sell but people love the writing, thus creating more heat for that writer/writers?

Spec sales are down, but it is not because of tracking boards. And yes, saying something like hiring hackers to take them down is ridiculous.

Best,

MB
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks for all the insight over the past number of pages here.

If a manager takes a spec out -- is there anything the writer can do increase productivity? In a perfect world, what would you like your writer to be doing in the week you took a spec out?

Thanks,
            Scott
            Twitter @sjgrierson
            https://twitter.com/sjgrierson

Comment

Hi Michaelb,

Thanks for all the time you are taking to reply to us -- quick question -- do you rep television writers? I know some managers who I'm friendly with and I have a hard time query them. I feel weird about it because I don't want them to think I am friends with them because of their profession.

Comment

Originally posted by sjgrierson View Post
                Hi Michael,

If a manager takes a spec out -- is there anything the writer can do increase productivity? In a perfect world, what would you like your writer to be doing in the week you took a spec out?

Thanks,
                Scott
                I'm curious about this as well. I hear managers and agents like writer's who hustle, but I'm wondering what that actually means.

Aside from constantly writing, what should a writer be doing when a spec goes out, or even when a spec isn't going out?

Thanks Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                  I'm curious about this as well. I hear managers and agents like writer's who hustle, but I'm wondering what that actually means.

Aside from constantly writing, what should a writer be doing when a spec goes out, or even when a spec isn't going out?

Thanks Michael.
                  It's a dance from the '70's. Gets you a rep everytime.
                  Last edited by EscapeFL; 05-26-2013, 06:01 AM. Reason: wrong decade
                  LA
                  Check out my animated feature available on VOD:
                  www.TheGridZom.com

Comment

Originally posted by EscapeFL View Post
                    It's a dance from the '70's. Gets you a rep everytime.
                    Lol. Looks like I'm screwed then.

Comment

I swear to god they made us learn the Hustle when I was in the fourth grade.

Sorry for the inappropriate tangent. It just brought back painful memories...I'm gonna go cry now.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks,
                        Scott
                        No problem.

Nope. A writer can either go off and start working on the next one, or do something to keep your mind off it (lots play video games and golf).

Best,

MB
                        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by lache View Post
                          Hi Michaelb,

Thanks for all the time you are taking to reply to us -- quick question -- do you rep television writers? I know some managers who I'm friendly with and I have a hard time query them. I feel weird about it because I don't want them to think I am friends with them because of their profession.
                          Yes. I have clients that both sell pilots and staff on shows.

Best,

MB
                          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post

Thanks Michael.
                            There is nothing a writer should be doing when a spec goes out in terms of impacting that spec. At that point it is in the reps and producers hands.

Best thing to do is not over analyze and freak out. I think that's why a lot go off and focus on other things.

Best,

MB
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Great. Very good to know. Thanks Michael.
                              Twitter @sjgrierson
                              https://twitter.com/sjgrierson

Comment

Great. Very good to know. Thanks Michael.
                                Anytime.

Best,

MB
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X