Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How A Ratings Service Can Deal With Subjectivity

Evaluations from reader services can be ruined by subjectivity creeping into the results. Ratings that range broadly, for example, 3-9 or 4-9, don't yield a valid result. The science of statistics deals with how to arrange scores, numbers in a way to find the truth. It handles skewed numbers in an understandable way. The science can handle a series of running numbers or all numbers reported at one time. I had statistics in college and know it can be very helpful. A good mathematical model would compute averages, and "typical" results to get at the truth. Such a system could easily handle reader subjectivity. It might compute averages, or eliminate skewed results. For example, the model could state so many scores fall outside a typical range, and are either eliminated totally or given a low weight in a computed final score.

I suggest any reader ratings service would be wise to consult with a statistician to develop a mathematicaL model to analyze ratings, so a more valid score or sum rating is produced.

Re: How A Ratings Service Can Deal With Subjectivity

... Are you trolling us?
    what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

24 posts about the same thing isn't statistically significant. You should have at least another 100 posts about this before we can rule out variance and outliers of your posts.

Comment

It's not MONEYBALL, its SCRIPTBALL!!
        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
          24 posts about the same thing isn't statistically significant. You should have at least another 100 posts about this before we can rule out variance and outliers of your posts.
          LOL...too clever
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I'm suggesting a scientific approach to deal with numbers that industry, researchers, and scientists use every day. The science of statistics is a well established tool, an area of study not to be taken lightly. It can handle lower numbers, high numbers, and series of running numbers. It can be used here and developed specifically for reader evaluations and produce a much need boost in the validity of ratings.

Comment

Restate my assumptions: One, Mathematics is the language of nature. Two, Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature. Evidence: The cycling of disease epidemics;the wax and wane of caribou populations; sun spot cycles; the rise and fall of the Nile. So, what about script rating subjectivity? The universe of numbers that represents the movie economy. Millions of hands at work, billions of minds. A vast network, screaming with life. An organism. A natural organism. My hypothesis: Within the script market, there is a pattern as well... Right in front of me... hiding behind the numbers. Always has been.

Comment

I sure as hell aint taking maths advice from someone who can't put two and two together.
                Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

The only way to be fair is to raffle off free representation.

Comment

You are literally calculating more. CALCULATE LESS.

And stop starting threads about calculating.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Mossbraker View Post
                      Restate my assumptions: One, Mathematics is the language of nature. Two, Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature. Evidence: The cycling of disease epidemics;the wax and wane of caribou populations; sun spot cycles; the rise and fall of the Nile. So, what about script rating subjectivity? The universe of numbers that represents the movie economy. Millions of hands at work, billions of minds. A vast network, screaming with life. An organism. A natural organism. My hypothesis: Within the script market, there is a pattern as well... Right in front of me... hiding behind the numbers. Always has been.
                      I watched this movie at the Angelika theater during the summer of 1998 when I was working for the Legal Aid Society of Manhattan and living in the neighborhood where it was shot (Grand & East Broadway section of the Lower East Side). Needless to say, it made an impact.

Comment

OP -- That's true if you have lots of data. Then, you can be fussy and cut off the aberrant numbers. Then you can kill subjectivity and get a useful average.

What is the statistical truth of, like, 3 ratings?

One guy gave you a 2, one gave you a 5, one gave you an 8. What do you do?

Comment

Goldman: I only had a math minor in college, so I think a statistician would have to give you an answer on the 2,5, and 8. This is an extremely broad range. Here's a simple example of handling ratings various ways. Let say the ratings are 9,8, and 4. Definitely 4 can be considered a skewed rating but how do you handle it? Here are some options:

1. Eliminate the 4 entirely and compute an average = 8.5
                          2. Average all three results = 7
                          3. Compute a weighted average:

40%x9 + 40%x8 + 20%x4 = 7.6

Interestingly, 1 and 3 give a result that is probably closer to the truth than a simple average. All three are statistical treatments. I don't mean this analysis to be a final suggestion, but an example of how one statistiical approach can work with smaller numbers of ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD View Post
                            Goldman: I only had a math minor in college, so I think a statistician would have to give you an answer on the 2,5, and 8. This is an extremely broad range. Here's a simple example of handling ratings various ways. Let say the ratings are 9,8, and 4. Definitely 4 can be considered a skewed rating but how do you handle it? Here are some options:

Interestingly, 1 and 3 give a result that is probably closer to the truth than a simple average. All three are statistical treatments. I don't mean this analysis to be a final suggestion, but an example of how one statistiical approach can work with smaller numbers of ratings.
                            Let it go.

I've sent out scripts that had 3 people love it and a 4th say it wasn't for them. That's how Hollywood works.

You can algebra your way into a writing career. All you can do is keep writing and write better.

All of these threads (yours and others) are getting ridiculous.

Best,

MB
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD View Post

It's Goldmund, Goldman is another user. ;-)

Okay. How about the ratings of 8 and 9 in your example were given to you by amateur readers and 4 by an industry professional.

Or, it's a script by, dunno, Kasdan, and rating of 4 came from an idiot or someone with a really bad toothache. DOes it mean it's 7.6? No, it's still a freaking 9 or 8.

With such low number of ratings, statistics is bullshit.

An average is meaningful when there are, I don't know, 50? 100? ratings. Then, the average gets somewhere close to truth.

Comment

Working...
                              X