No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Will, don't diminish the value of hanging out on Done Deal Pro.

It was countless years lurking and hanging out that allowed me to bring my craft up to the level that I was good enough to sneak onto the Black List last year.

This site and forum is THE BEST site for any emerging screenwriter. Period.

That said, I do apologize for my impatience.

Sorry.

D.

Comment

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Desperate Hours, recently reviewed on ScriptShadow, is on the Top Unmade Scripts list...
      "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
        Desperate Hours, recently reviewed on ScriptShadow, is on the Top Unmade Scripts list...
        I don't care for the insinuation. Carson does not generate his own heat. He reviewed Desperate Hours because of the heat that was already on it, not the other way around (it being put on the Black List site because of Carson).

Comment

Originally posted by dmatthew View Post
          Will, don't diminish the value of hanging out on Done Deal Pro.

It was countless years lurking and hanging out that allowed me to bring my craft up to the level that I was good enough to sneak onto the Black List last year.

This site and forum is THE BEST site for any emerging screenwriter. Period.

That said, I do apologize for my impatience.

Sorry.

D.
          In addition to which, the Franklin who is posting here really sounds like the Franklin who writes in other venues, it wouldn't be easy to nail down his style so perfectly. It's him. BTW, your BL script sounds awesome, I'll make a point of finding it.

Comment

More notably, the official Black List twitter account mentioned this thread here. There's no ambiguity about this. It's Franklin.

https://twitter.com/theblcklst/statu...87234694098944

Comment

Jesus, please let's not have this thread descend into a standard internet forum negativity-fest.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                I don't care for the insinuation. Carson does not generate his own heat. He reviewed Desperate Hours because of the heat that was already on it, not the other way around (it being put on the Black List site because of Carson).
                I wasn't clear, but what you've stated was my point. That didn't get there overnight, it clearly had to go through probably several dozen reviews, something I'm assuming took several weeks, if not months. That was my point, sorry for the lack of clarification.

Franklin, thanks for answering the questions here. They've been insightful.

Comment

Attempting to get this thread back on track toward it's actual title "Franklin Leonard answers your questions..."

For those who have access or know someone who has access to the Black List, is there a difference between the real time Black List and the final Black List?

Franklin, does the real time Black List suddenly just stop when you pull the plug and then the final results are tallied?

Or is the final Black List the result of a separate voting process?

Thanks.

D.

Comment

Franklin, has there been any consideration to a Black List for original pilots, given how prevalent they now are for getting staffed on a show? Curious if this ever crossed your mind...

Comment

For those who have access or know someone who has access to the Black List, is there a difference between the real time Black List and the final Black List?.
                      Franklin will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he's ever said or even implied that the Black List website has any bearing on the official Black List that comes out every year. They both have the same objective - to highlight strong material and bring it to the attention of those who might have missed it - but I don't think one impacts the other.

Though there's probably a case to be made that the Black List website might raise the profile of candidates for that year's list, thereby enhancing their odds of garnering enough votes to land on the official list.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Script Reader View Post
                        Franklin will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he's ever said or even implied that the Black List website has any bearing on the official Black List that comes out every year. They both have the same objective - to highlight strong material and bring it to the attention of those who might have missed it - but I don't think one impacts the other.

Though there's probably a case to be made that the Black List website might raise the profile of candidates for that year's list, thereby enhancing their odds of garnering enough votes to land on the official list.
                        Well, that is not the case with everyone I have spoken with. Everybody who has voted in the past seems to think it is no ALL real time and the only thing they don't know is exactly when Franklin will pull the plug on the voting and tally everything up.

This is from the website direct (members section):
                        _____
                        I don't want people to know what the rest of the world thinks of this script. Will that be a problem?

Individual and average ratings of scripts will never be shared. If a script is one of the ten most popular based on a weighted average over a given period of time, it will appear in our Top 10, just as it will appear on the annual Black List at the end of the year.

_____

That really implies this is 100 percent real time voting that determines the final Black List.

I'm still wondering if that was actually Franklin who started this thread. I realize other people have vouched for it as being legit but maybe his assistant simply popped on and didn't really know what was up.

I answer email all day long for my boss. He expects me to cover his email as "him".

Could be the case here?

Maybe?

Anyway... I highly doubt this question will go un-answered for long.

At least I hope not.

D.

Comment

I'm still wondering if that was actually Franklin who started this thread. I realize other people have vouched for it as being legit but maybe his assistant simply popped on and didn't really know what was up.
                          I can personally vouch for the fact that it was Franklin Leonard who started this thread.

Unless I'm not really The Bitter Script Reader....

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                            What is the prize money for first, second, and third place?
                            There is no prize money. Just the respect and admiration of your peers.

Comment

First off, let me apologize to everyone for having not responded more quickly to these questions. Since Thursday night, I've been travelling with very little internet connectivity, and rather than offer brief answers that may only beg more questions, I thought I'd wait until I had a reliable connection.

That said, two issues seem to predominate:

1. Am I really Franklin Leonard? Answer: Yes. For the doubters, after I finish this post, I will tweet from my personal Twitter account @franklinleonard "Yes, it's really me."

2: Does the membership website affect the end of the year Black List? Short answer: no.

I will continue to do the end of year Black List as a separate entity for as long as there is interest and I can preserve the integrity of the voting process. I believe that it has been and will continue to be a valuable tool for the industry, both as a recap of the previous year in screenwriting and as a way to identify writers and projects with whom directors, producers, actors, and financiers would like to be involved. Moreover, I've been humbled by the extent to which it's been embraced as a celebration of writers' work for its own sake (as opposed to as the underlying architecture of a produced film) and has helped quality writers get attention they might not otherwise get.

The website was built to be and exists as a real-time tool for industry professionals to find projects and writers throughout the year. It was born of my need as a development executive to answer the question "What can I be reading now?" in March, June, September, etc. instead of just December.

The votes, ratings, etc. on the site will have no direct bearing on the end of the year Black List if for no other reason than that the members site has a far broader membership than the voting pool for the annual list, which is comprised exclusively of those employed at producers and financiers. We have never surveyed more than 600 people for the end of the year list. We are already nearing 1000 members of the industry professional site.

Finally, there appears to be some confusion based on the below text from the site:

"Individual and average ratings of scripts will never be shared. If a script is one of the ten most popular based on a weighted average over a given period of time, it will appear in our Top 10, just as it will appear on the annual Black List at the end of the year."

To be very clear (and I'll be adjusting this text when I return to civilization), the clause "just as it will appear on the annual Black List at the end of the year" refers - admittedly not well enough - to how the information will appear, both on the site and in the end of the year list: anonymous with regard to individual participants' thoughts and high on the list if and only if those aggregated thoughts merit that inclusion.

Comment

Confirmation tweet live.

Comment

Working...
                                X