Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reformatting from left-justified

Thanks for appreciating! I stepped away from working on it for many months, which is why I disappeared. But I think that helped.

I've been able to delete a lot of lines and small concepts very easily as a lot of it is less precious now.

Getting feedback from a wide group was very important, as I could see which characters people were identifying with / intrigued by and which not.

Overwriting in my case was very helpful. In the final draft, only the best stuff will remain. And I learned a lot of lessons along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
      Update to everyone who hammered me on this point: I got the beast down from what was originally ~240 pages to 121.

I'm working on draft 6 now in advance of submitting to Nicholl and Sundance.

We'll see where it ends up at the end of this draft, but the impossible became possible. Thanks to many comments and encouragements from friends and associates. I also hired a subject matter consultant that helped on focusing in on certain issues and discarding others.

Getting through this draft is proving torturous for me, so there's no way I'll do another draft after this. Thought the page count would at least make you folks proud.
      See? I knew you could do it. I'm glad to hear that you kept working on it and you didn't give up. That's commendable. And congratulations on getting it down to 121.

Good luck with your submissions.
      FA4
      Last edited by finalact4; 02-19-2020, 05:31 AM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Thanks Lisa!

Comment

I've been working two months on this, doing two straight drafts in a row (on draft 7 now) to try to get it perfect for Nicholl.

Believe it or not, it's currently a tight 90 pages. I'm overall very happy with acts 1 & 2 and just need a tiny bit of tweaking, which will hardly affect page count.

I'm about to dig in and do a major overhaul on act 3 in advance of the contest.

This is my final draft until it gets any forward movement (producer, agent, manager, investment).

Comment

Congratulations!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks very much. It's definitely way more efficient now. I'll let you know the final page count once I submit to Nicholl. That's where I will cap it.

I managed to quickly restructure and rewrite the 3rd act now. It's at 93 pages. So, with some adding and deleting, the final will end up in the 85-95 range, no doubt.

This has been an adventure.

And oh yeah, Fade In has been a fantastic program. Glad I bought it. Worth the money even if just for this script alone.

Comment

Fade In has been a fantastic program. Glad I bought it. Worth the money even if just for this script alone.
                I am sure that Kent Tessman, the programmer of Fade In (@fadeinsoftware on Twitter), would be delighted to hear that.

And now that you have written a screenplay, you are a veteran and you can write some more scripts.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Haha! Yes, thank you. I need a break after this one. But we'll see, maybe try again later this year.

Unfortunately, I do not have a personal Twitter account.

Comment

Welp, I ended up at 87 pages. Feel like I could've used a few extra days on it, but I'm totally beat. Thanks for the wild ride, all.

Comment

Working...
                    X