Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection/Passes...

Maybe this goes here, not sure where it fits. But... here's something to ponder, remember...

My ex (yeah I mention her a lot, because I learned a lot watching her make deals then eventually helping her make deals)... so here's the story...

She's a newish agent, 3-4 years in? She reads a script she loves by a newer writer/director. I read it, I'm like, yeah this is cool. He has one film under his belt and now this new script. This is a big agency, so signing is done by comity. She champions the script, recommends they sign him. Other agents read. Nope! "Too confusing." "I don't get it." "Structure is weird." etc. They PASS. This writer/director goes off and makes the movie anyway.

Who is this writer/director you ask? Drum roll please... His name is...

Chris Nolan.

You may have heard of him. He's kinda "okay" at what he does, I guess (sarcasm).

POINT: This town does NOT know what it's doing. I will forever be CONVINCED of that. Those are the odds we're up against. Insurmountable odds. Perceptions. Wrong ones. Clearly! Just remember this story the next time you get a pass. They passed on Chris Nolan and Memento. HOW????
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Re: Rejection/Passes...

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Maybe this goes here, not sure where it fits. But... here's something to ponder, remember...

My ex (yeah I mention her a lot, because I learned a lot watching her make deals then eventually helping her make deals)... so here's the story...

She's a newish agent, 3-4 years in? She reads a script she loves by a newer writer/director. I read it, I'm like, yeah this is cool. He has one film under his belt and now this new script. This is a big agency, so signing is done by comity. She champions the script, recommends they sign him. Other agents read. Nope! "Too confusing." "I don't get it." "Structure is weird." etc. They PASS. This writer/director goes off and makes the movie anyway.

Who is this writer/director you ask? Drum roll please... His name is...

Chris Nolan.

You may have heard of him. He's kinda "okay" at what he does, I guess (sarcasm).

POINT: This town does NOT know what it's doing. I will forever be CONVINCED of that. Those are the odds we're up against. Insurmountable odds. Perceptions. Wrong ones. Clearly! Just remember this story the next time you get a pass. They passed on Chris Nolan and Memento. HOW????
    This!

Comment

And, by the way, Nolan's first little movie, called Following, is a real gem, if you haven't seen it. B&W, and brilliant.

Comment

We don't talk enough about the mental challenges of being a professional writer.

On the one hand, I love stories like this about Chris Nolan, believing in himself and powering through the rejection to deliver his vision. On the other hand, there are so many writers who need to take that dose of rejection seriously in order to regroup and improve.

It's a fine line and it's a really delicate balance to be confident in one's abilities while also being open to improvement. How to be arrogant and humble at the same time? It's mental gymnastics and it can really f--k with a writer's head.

In fact, I'd say the #1 reason that so many writers plateau at that "got a rep, don't have a career" level is because they have yet to wrap their head around this very issue. They're either too subservient to idiot opinions... or they're too subservient to their own ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
          We don't talk enough about the mental challenges of being a professional writer.

On the one hand, I love stories like this about Chris Nolan, believing in himself and powering through the rejection to deliver his vision. On the other hand, there are so many writers who need to take that dose of rejection seriously in order to regroup and improve.

It's a fine line and it's a really delicate balance to be confident in one's abilities while also being open to improvement. How to be arrogant and humble at the same time? It's mental gymnastics and it can really f--k with a writer's head.

In fact, I'd say the #1 reason that so many writers plateau at that "got a rep, don't have a career" level is because they have yet to wrap their head around this very issue. They're either too subservient to idiot opinions... or they're too subservient to their own ego.
          100% agree. Because that's currently where I'm at. I have a rep, great, but that's not a career. I haven't been able (this time around) to figure out which side of the fence I fall on. Then again, I choose highly controversial subject maters. The last 3 have been that. Might be hurting me. But agreed... total mind fukk. I don't have the answers.

It's also true that stories like these, while fun to hear, could be HIGHLY misleading. Always take them with a 3 ton block of salt, not a grain. Meaning, you're likely NOT the next Chris Nolan.

Comment

Enjoying all the behind-the-scenes stories you've been sharing, GucciGhostXXX. A lot of us have long had strong suspicions about all the B.S. that goes on among decision-makers, but it's nice to have someone who was behind the curtain confirm it.

Maybe one day when you're an old man and have nothing left to lose, you can just say f**k it and write a tell-all book, lol. Pretty sure there'll be a lot of interest ("they turned down GONE GIRL and MEMENTO? What?!").
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
              Enjoying all the behind-the-scenes stories you've been sharing, GucciGhostXXX. A lot of us have long had strong suspicions about all the B.S. that goes on among decision-makers, but it's nice to have someone who was behind the curtain confirm it.

Maybe one day when you're an old man and have nothing left to lose, you can just say f**k it and write a tell-all book, lol. Pretty sure there'll be a lot of interest ("they turned down GONE GIRL and MEMENTO? What?!").

I might just do that one day. Guarantee A LOT of people would be pissed. Maybe I can get paid to NOT write it. LOL

Here's my biggest shock of the entire industry: You can be an agent for 15 years, they'll tell you you're family (FAMILY!) then the second you're fired all your "family members" of 19 years disown you. IMMEDIATELY. I couldn't fukkin believe it. There was literally 1-2 people who tried to help. Everyone else... "Meh... later, glad it wasn't me." And I'm supposed to trust agents? Nah... never, for way too many reasons.

The big 4 are a cult. I was in that world for 19 years ("Family"). It's akin to scientology and Going Clear. Swear to god! Of all those people I've not reached out to a single one. ZERO. You'd think I could call them up and ask for reads, I can't. The only way my stuff went back in there is because a huge producer took it back in. Oh and... My ex-agent was forced to read it because of who the producer is. Can you imagine? She must have been pissed I was back on her desk after I left. Yup, when my ex was fired I never called my agent again, ghosted, and she ghosted me back, fukk that agency. Family you say? Nonsense...

This town is a facade.

Comment

Haha. With "family" like that, who needs enemies...
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

i've been listening to the Scripts and Scribes podcasts over the past week and just finishing Johm Zaozirny of Bellevue Productions and he was talking about how Prisoners didn't sell right away. that it took a couple years maybe.

and last week i listened to Adam Kolbrenner talking about how when they took Prisoners out no one bit, and that he finally was going to call Aaron Guzikowski to tell him it didn't look like it was gonna sell and Adam Levine at Verve called and said it was the best script he read all year, and he got it packaged and sold.

to them, it's not personal, even though, to you, it is personal, because it's your work. yes, it stings. and it's okay that it does.

just don't let it debilitate you.

it's funny, as a writer you go through these moments. first your scripts place somewhere in a contest-- then someone believes in your writing-- then you get 8s & 9s on The Black List and you finally know, you know-- i can do this.

it happens in stages and it's good that it does, because when you get that first option agreement it's like getting that first offer on your house-- you're so ****ing excited, but you know, you just know it's going to be ****.

and the first words that come out of your mouth may surprise you. haha.

the point is, the rejection NEVER stops when you're a writer. you have to find a way to cope/deal/vent it so it doesn't get in your way.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                    Haha. With "family" like that, who needs enemies...
                    Lol... exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                      ...the rejection NEVER stops when you're a writer. you have to find a way to cope/deal/vent it so it doesn't get in your way.
                      True the rejection NEVER stops. BUT... I'm becoming more skeptical that these buyers and producers know what they're doing by the day (i.e. knowing what the audience WANTS).

Example: On two of my last shows I polled a general audience, multi-demographic, to learn what audience reaction to the concept was (went to super markets in various demographics and polled THOUSANDS of people. 10 different cities from Orange County, to Compton, to Beverly Hills etc. Yes, I do weird sh!t like that. I like talking to people to learn what they think.) With both shows, overwhelmingly YES. Some No's, but around 98% yes. Many (most) chimed in excitedly about what they'd want to see from them and how they thought it could be better. Interesting ideas. Everyone's a "development exec" in disguise.

But, when I talk to around 10,000 people and it's overwhelmingly a positive response. How does that not sell? You could argue they were just being nice. Nah, I don't believe that, people will reject you very easily if they can't be bothered, they won't engage. But when you ask them something they care about, they will.

Example: On my political show my intro question was "When was the last time you felt the government wasn't doing a very good job?" I already knew their answer. 100% had the same answer "I dunno, today." I'd say "Your answer matches everyone I've asked this question of." The convos went on from there...

POINT: I don't need a 100% audience share for a successful show.

Comment

The thing with Memento's screenplay is it is pretty confusing if you go into it blindly, it takes some getting used to and the timeline jumps are much easier to follow visually than on the page, the first 4 pages of Memento are confusing and I read this after watching the film multiple times and knowing exactly how the whole thing plays out -- the truth is the vision in our heads cannot be put onto the page, we can only write a blueprint and describe it, some visions come alive on film in a way they can't on paper.

Agreed that you shouldn't let others stop you, if your belief in it is strong enough you'll find a way.

Comment

Working...
                        X