How many "ready" scripts should you have before attempting to sell?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many "ready" scripts should you have before attempting to sell?

Question:

How many "ready" scripts should you have before attempting to market your first script?

Thanks

KENTA

Re: How many "ready" scripts should you have before attempting to sell?

While the view changes from 2+, I understand that it only takes one script to make a sale

EJ

Comment

1,234,163 scripts should be in the trunk before moving a marketing muscle.

Comment

1st script: "We liked the writing, but can't sell it. What else have you got?"

then

2nd Script: "We liked it, but wouldn't know how to market it? Do you have anything else?"

then

3rd script: silence

So, 3 is a good number to have. Any less and they probably won't believe your a real writer. However, 3 strikes and your out...so you may never get the chance to show your 4th or 5th to that company or agent.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I find that very helpful...

KENTA

Comment

I recommend 3.28.
            When you describe your third SP and they say, "That's better but still not quite..." you can counter with: "But I'm working on another."
            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I did it with 1.
              Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Han Shot First View Post
                I did it with 1.
                Han, how many drafts did you do before sending it into the world?

- and was that your first script (with the intention of selling?) Or had you been at it for years prior - sending queries etc, with no luck?

Thanks
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by RGF View Post
                  1st script: "We liked the writing, but can't sell it. What else have you got?"

then

2nd Script: "We liked it, but wouldn't know how to market it? Do you have anything else?"

then

3rd script: silence

So, 3 is a good number to have. Any less and they probably won't believe your a real writer. However, 3 strikes and your out...so you may never get the chance to show your 4th or 5th to that company or agent.
                  If your first script really does it for them, they are more than happy to take it out. Dealing with the other scripts comes later, once your first script goes somewhere.

If someone tells you that they like your first script, but blah, blah, blah, whatever, but do you have other scripts, that for the most part is basically a polite rejection.

Chances are they won't be so into your other scripts either.
                  Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

I wrote a draft for myself.
                    Then a draft for my writer buddies.
                    Then a draft for my managers.
                    Then a draft incorporating my managers' notes.

That draft (#4) sold.

I had made a specific decision in my career not to market myself until I thought I was ready. Honestly, I wasn't ready until I wrote GALAHAD. All my focus before that was just writing, writing, writing, trying to become the best damn writer I could possibly be. I never really marketed a script before that because, frankly, I didn't see the point. I didn't think I had anything to offer just yet.

As my story should illustrate, when you have a truly marketable script, it carries itself through the process. I knew this going in and it was therefore my aim to write something that people HAD to have. Something unique, exciting, something that addressed a number of different areas well (action, mystery, "world building," characters, F-ing with the Arthurian legends, something everyone is generally aware of).

And now, as I go to meeting after meeting out here, I realize how important it is to break in with the hottest script you can write. Because that script -- that red hot material that people can't wait to share with their coworkers and colleagues -- that's how you'll get your next assignment. Otherwise, you're just another "new writer" for the pile.

Producers and studios want to meet the "new writer" that they can help become the next Stu Beattie or David Benioff. When I go to meetings, the execs are almost more excited about my new career than I am, which says something.

You should all be trying to write a script that's so hot you can't leave it next to a pile of dried leaves. Succeed at that and the rest will take care of itself.

But that's the trick, ain't it?

Comment

Originally posted by boski
                      Now I REALLY wanna read this script!
                      You and me both!

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                        You and me both!
                        Make that an even three.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

One. Because if it's truly marketable, it puts you ahead of about 95% of the aspiring wannabes. (some would argue even, like, 98%...).

Producers could care less how many scripts you've got if the one you're pitching sounds like something they might want.
                          I agree BUT make damn sure the thing is ready to submit. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
                          Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
                          Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Originally posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
                            I agree BUT make damn sure the thing is ready to submit. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
                            And how do you suggest writers make that judgement?
                            Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Part of the trick of becoming a great writer is becoming your own harshest critic. The day when your eyes open to the truth of your own work is a huge milestone for any writer.

Comment

Working...
                              X