Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inspirational Books?

For the Nietzsche fans, although I'm not necessarily christian i'm a big fan of Concluding Scientific Post Script - Soren Kierkegaard, found it quite inspiring. Been getting into Thomas Mann lately.

However, Kierkegaard later in his life made an adamant decision not to marry. He felt that being the "Single Man," was one truth the "philosopher man" had to obey and live his life by, in solitude. Not so promising for us; what's life without enjoyment and the opposite sex, right?

H

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
      +1 for On Writing.

I've never finished any other SK book (terribly boring for horrors, aren't they) but this is my top ten.
      I read everything up to 'Needful Things' and, by and large, enjoyed most of them, and loved a few; I didn't actually find any of them boring.

Decided to go back to him a few years' ago with 'Lisey's Story' (mainly because it was about a writer) and it didn't grab me. I'm sure I'll try him again in a while because I still enjoy his writing. I hear the Kennedy assassination book he published recently was supposed to be good.

Would like to sample his son's books too. 'Heart-Shaped Box' in particular.
      @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by hhh2 View Post
        For the Nietzsche fans, although I'm not necessarily christian i'm a big fan of Concluding Scientific Post Script - Soren Kierkegaard, found it quite inspiring. Been getting into Thomas Mann lately.

However, Kierkegaard later in his life made an adamant decision not to marry. He felt that being the "Single Man," was one truth the "philosopher man" had to obey and live his life by, in solitude. Not so promising for us; what's life without enjoyment and the opposite sex, right?

H
        Oh... I was teasing hhh2, I saw Mark Somers initial post and it struck a somewhat discordant tone so I posted mine...

I have read some Nietzsche, but not for a long time.
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
          I read everything up to 'Needful Things' and, by and large, enjoyed most of them, and loved a few; I didn't actually find any of them boring.

Decided to go back to him a few years' ago with 'Lisey's Story' (mainly because it was about a writer) and it didn't grab me. I'm sure I'll try him again in a while because I still enjoy his writing. I hear the Kennedy assassination book he published recently was supposed to be good.
          I 'went back' and read The Dark Half (superb!) and The Girl Who Loved Tom Green (dreadful). I also rediscovered Dean R Koontz - King's rival in the 80s - but found his stuff to be woeful and preachy since he became a born again Christian. I'll return to King. But not Koontz.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

On Writing - Stephen King. Possibly the best book he's written.
            I like that one too. It's very similar in style and tone to Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing". They're not so much practical guides (if you're looking for nuts and bolts, look elsewhere) as they are about the inner life of the writer.

Personally, the one I always pick up when I need a little boost is Christopher Booker's "The Seven Basic Plots", a Jungian analysis of storytelling. An absolutely fantastic book, somewhat repetitive, but incredibly informative and inspirational. Sometimes, thinking about why we tell stories is just as important as how we tell stories.

Cheers,

B
            SIX-GUN GORILLA: LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE.
            http://www.sixgungorilla.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/SixGunGorilla
            sigpic
            "... (an) indie powerhouse of a book.- - AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Comment

I read the SWing books I have mainly for "inspiration" these days. When I'm feeling sluggish I pick one up & it gets my mind thinking about storytelling again.

I like Snyder's original STC book for its enthusiastic tone. A lot of what's written about SWing has such a negative slant to it ("Its incredibly hard, 99% who try fail at it, most of what you write is gonna suck, YOU SUCK, you should quit, etc...") that it's nice to read someone who has such a positive view on the craft, & is so encouraging to those just starting out. I don't use most of his writing advice tho.

I like the Iglesias book, 101 Habits... mentioned up the thread.

In fact, I like most all interview type books. Joel Engel's books have been mentioned on other threads recently. And I also recommend Brady's The Craft of the Screenwriter .

A personal fav of mine that never gets mentioned is Sheldon Woodbury's Cool Million, which is about high concept spec writing. I saw how he had a short story featured on Popcorn Fiction recently & it reminded me of his old book.

I also like a general writing book called If You Can Talk, You Can Write by Joel Saltzman. Another book that has a positive, inclusive attitude towards writing & writers. http://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Tal...You+Talk%2C+Yo

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

"Black Like Me"
                TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by BChristgau View Post
                  I like that one too. It's very similar in style and tone to Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing". They're not so much practical guides (if you're looking for nuts and bolts, look elsewhere) as they are about the inner life of the writer.

Personally, the one I always pick up when I need a little boost is Christopher Booker's "The Seven Basic Plots", a Jungian analysis of storytelling. An absolutely fantastic book, somewhat repetitive, but incredibly informative and inspirational. Sometimes, thinking about why we tell stories is just as important as how we tell stories.

Cheers,

B
                  Thanks for the Ray Bradbury heads-up.

I watched an Omnibus edition of his life on BBC4 a few nights back with Bradbury discussing writing, typically of Ray, it was run as a surrealist take on all things writely as he climbs trees and discusses his craft and all this in amongst thew surrrealist sketches, flights of fancy and whatnot.

He said at the end when buzzed with questions by annoyed journalists on whether he was an SF or fantasy writer or what, I always answer with "...I'm what I started out to be... a Magician!"

Very healthy outlook for the "spirit" of writing, I thought.
                  Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

"The Way of Aikido" by George Leonard. At the time I read it I had never even done and knew almost nothing about Aikido and was amazed by how much of it could be applied to screenwriting. Especially when he talks about how progress is made -- you're really making progress when 1) You're completely immersed in the task without any worry of the outcome, and 2) You're in what seems to be a "plateau" period where you don't seem to be improving at all, but this actually when improvement is happening.

Comment

Another George Leonard book you might want to check out is "Mastery". Appears it covers some of the same territory "The Way of Aikido"-- he talks about "plateauing" in your progress.

A good complement to Leonard's book is "The Practicing Mind by Thomas Sterner.

Both these books are about learning and excelling at a certain skill by focusing on the process instead of the outcome. I have to admit that I find the idea attractive but have yet to be any good at it. I still focus on the end goal too much (according to this philosophy) and find the process of writing endlessly frustrating. I'm still an incredibly self-conscious writer, terrible at finding "flow".

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Add me as another vote for On Writing.

Plus of course Adventures in the Screenwriting Trade and Which Lie Did I Tell

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                          Another George Leonard book you might want to check out is "Mastery". Appears it covers some of the same territory "The Way of Aikido"-- he talks about "plateauing" in your progress.

A good complement to Leonard's book is "The Practicing Mind by Thomas Sterner.

Both these books are about learning and excelling at a certain skill by focusing on the process instead of the outcome. I have to admit that I find the idea attractive but have yet to be any good at it. I still focus on the end goal too much (according to this philosophy) and find the process of writing endlessly frustrating. I'm still an incredibly self-conscious writer, terrible at finding "flow".
                          I'll have to check out "Mastery" and the Practicing Mind. Thanks. Yeah it's extremely tough to get just write and not think about if 1) if it sucks, and 2) if anything is going to happen with it. I don't think I'm there yet either. Just takes practice, though.

Comment

On Writing - Stephen King. Possibly the best book he's written.
                            Agreed.
                            "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

I have brought shame and dishonor to my people by inexplicably forgetting "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. A must.

Comment

"The Holy Bible"
                                TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Working...
                                X