Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting copyright info on title page?

I'm sort of confused. By the way, my screenplays are copyrighted by the Library of congress, not WGA, but my question is still the same. Do I mention it on the title page? I'm asking because some writers that I know put their WGA or Library of congress copyright on their screenplays. Other writers say don't mention the copyright status at all. I searched through the threads and couldn't find an answer. Thanks if anyone can help.

Re: putting copyright info on title page?

You can do it if you want to but nobody will notice if you don't.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Re: putting copyright info on title page?

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
      You can do it if you want to but nobody will notice if you don't.
      Thank you.

Comment

Re: Putting copyright info on title page?

Most don't post the notice on the title page. If you do , you must include the year of the copyright, which then dates your script. You don't want to date your script. Go with most. Your copyright protects with or without the notice.

Comment

I had a reader friend tell me that putting a copyright notice gives off an amateur-ish vibe. One guy's opinion.
          Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

Copyright Info On Title Page

As some production companies will not accept a screenplay unless it is registered with the WGA, a full copyright notice serves a minor role in advising the reader that you've bothered to register it with the Copyright Office. If you are simply claiming copyright, I don't see the point; but, if registered with the Copyright Office, include the copyright registration number.
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Agree that it is amateur, not needed and only raises red flags.

Registering with the WGA is not as important as copyrighting your work, you just don't put the copyright symbol on your cover page.

If you do sell the script, you'll need the copyright document listing you as the author so you have the authority to transfer the copyright to the purchasing party.

Now that's the important part!

Comment

Re: Copyright Info On Title Page

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                As some production companies will not accept a screenplay unless it is registered with the WGA, a full copyright notice serves a minor role in advising the reader that you've bothered to register it with the Copyright Office. If you are simply claiming copyright, I don't see the point; but, if registered with the Copyright Office, include the copyright registration number.
                The copyright or registration (if requested) goes on the Release Form. (Do you know of anyone who will read your script without a Release form?)
                "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Anyone worth anything will assume you've copyrighted the script.

Putting WGA or Copyright notices on the title just makes you look like an insecure amateur in my opinion.
                  Screenplay Questions & Answers - http://screenplayqa.com

Comment

I never put copyright info on my title pages.

<------ Check it.

Corona
                    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Originally posted by Alliebro View Post
                      Most don't post the notice on the title page. If you do , you must include the year of the copyright, which then dates your script. You don't want to date your script. Go with most. Your copyright protects with or without the notice.
                      no date needed.
                      just add

All rights reserved.

in case they need to know the date, they could look it up. There was a time when you needed the date and the c symbol. Those days are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenplayQA View Post
                        Anyone worth anything will assume you've copyrighted the script.

Putting WGA or Copyright notices on the title just makes you look like an insecure amateur in my opinion.
                        Disagree. That's a total myth. amateur student films get c symbols or all rights reserved why not scripts? You'll be considered more of an amateur if your content of off.

Comment

Frankly, I doubt that the presence or absence of a copyright notice (with the year and your name) will make any difference at all in the reception that your script gets.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by nuvuefilms View Post
                            If you do sell the script, you'll need the copyright document listing you as the author so you have the authority to transfer the copyright to the purchasing party.
                            I thought registering with the US Copyright Office was a voluntary thing that had some financial benefits if you found yourself in the position of having to sue someone for stealing your script. Are you saying that you can't sell a script without that copyright documentation? Is that the case even if it's a script from a non-US writer?

Comment

I worked as an editor for a book publisher and every time we got a manuscript with a copyright, my instinctive thought was - 'this writer doesn't trust us'

Of course the writer was just being careful which is rational, and instincts are not rational, but nonetheless, if you're protected by the copyright anyway, no need to give off a paranoid vibe... so my vote is for 'no'
                              Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Working...
                              X