Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
gs1979
User

Default help!!! UK, Australian and German Prod Co.

Anyone knows if there's a protocol to follow in order to submit material. If they take unsolicited material... If it's easier to get read over there?

just wondering...
gs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Mac H.

Default Re: help!!! UK, Australian and German Prod Co.

If you aren't Australian, then you'l find it a LOT more difficult to get read in Australia, compared to, say, LA.

This is because the industry in Australia involves a lot of overnment funding/grants etc .. which are available for Aussie content only.

Also if you get a spam list of Aussie production companies (there are about 70 odd on the list) then you'll find that almost all of these have been set up to push the producer's pet projects, rather than being companies set up to find other projects.

Good luck,

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
kidcharlemagne

For many in the UK you have to submit via an agent but check out Danny Stack's blog:

http://dannystack.blogspot.com/index.html

He made a list of prod. co's that you could query without an agent.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
nic.h

I agree with Mac re Australian producers. Most get their scripts through the local funding bodies or occasionally through short film contests. I know there are exceptions, but it's a pretty long shot.

Having said that, there are a handful of smallish, but reasonably productive Australian indies who scour Inktip and the like who are obviously open to a mainstream or non-Australian script - or else they wouldn't be on an international board. Often they're looking for shorts, but occasionally they want low budget features. I know of one Canadian writer who picked up a deal this way, and when I had another script listed on Inktips, an Australian producer requested my script, before they knew I was Australian. (The script was my first, and really a long way from being good enough. But I got a a few requests, so it gave me some energy to continue.)

TV is pretty much a sealed deal here. Hardly anyone outside of the system, or without really strong local credits, gets a gig on Australian TV. Unless it's a co-pro (and we're making more and more of those). But you'd have to have a deal with the other country first, or be an established writer/producer to approach them.

Good luck.
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote