Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #41
Harbinger

Default Re: Why do you think you are gonna make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool running View Post
... sounds interesting, where did you learn ?

Were you taught by a legendary Master - Boob - Maker ?

Unbelievably that^ was someone returning the thread to some semblance of normaility. What a strange forum this place can be!
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #42
Furious Anjel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesfox View Post
Why do you think you are gonna make it? there are alot of great writers out there, what makes you soo special?

For me, i know my writing is good(contests & script consultants) AND creativity is 2nd nature to me. I'm very creative. I've met alot of writers who are great writers but they suck at being creative. its the same **** over and over again.

Why do you think you are going to make it?
There is no spoon.
Furious Anjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #43
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKid View Post
By getting lucky.

You're just kidding yourself if you think there is any other way.

Sure, some talent and creativity and all that is great, but at the end of the day it's about being at the right place in the right time with the right people, etc.

It's all about luck. Then you have to NETWORK as well. Really, it's not terribly hard to get the door to crack open, but you need to open that heavy-ass door yourself. It's not easy and it'll involve some luck, but I personally don't believe it's all about writing and true talent. There is so many more variables... and to get everything working... well, like I said, you gotta be lucky.

Yes there are many variables. And luck is just one of them. There's one-script-wonder sale luck. Sure. But the odds of it happening are small in my estimation.

Writing talent is the only way to tip the odds in your favor. Because, even if you make the right connection at exactly the right time, if you hand over a lousy script, that connection will move on. There's just too much competition.

Look how many sales are based on true stories, novels, graphic novels, old TV shows or remakes of previous films.

Why? My educated guess -- currently, not many industry people are willing to invest in un-tested concepts.

So your completely original spec is already considered a risk by the industry before they read past Fade In. To keep them reading, it had better be an
exceptional spec script among a slush pile of thousands of spec scripts registered each year.

When someone has a huge pile of untested, original specs by unknown writers they're looking for reasons to thin out that pile. They're looking for reasons to reject not recommend.

So your script had better be hitting on all cylinders. And luck has nothing to do with that.

Creativity? Sure, if your right brain talents are nicely balanced with left brain know-how (structure, commercial viability, personal discipline, etc.). But too much unfettered creativity with no left brain logic for balance -- this can be a hinderance in an industry always looking at the bottom line.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #44
reddery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutteRug View Post
JK,
I personally will make it because ... a 35mm short film ... one specifically that can be made
you made a 35mm Short?

Do you have a link for us to watch it?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #45
AaronB
Regular

If I succeed, it will be because I am persistent. Start with a modicum of talent (which I have, and I will claim no more than that) and be prepared to learn about the business and about the writing at every opportunity, then continue to work it and work it and work it until something gives. Ten years...twenty years...thirty years...throw enough stuff at the wall, and sooner or later something will stick.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #46
sarajb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
But technically I'm not imposing my belief on the poster. I'm imposing their own belief on them.

Had I turned round and told the poster God doesn't exist I'd understand the imposition, but what I'm saying is, by HIS/HER OWN belief system, it couldn't have been God.
As though you have any comprehensive insight into sasqits's belief system from that one post.

Speaking of faith, I think I'll make it, because I have faith in my ability, so long as I can stay on track. If I don't make it, I'll blame only me.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #47
sasqits
Regular

I'm not a Christian but I do call my god God. Many people like myself do the same. In the future I will clarify to avoid any confusion.

Since a religion or belief debate is bound to turn ugly, I will continue to believe what I like and leave the worrying about my spiritual crash up to you guys. Thanks for your concern.
sasqits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #48
sarajb

Guy.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #49
ihavebiglips

My mom tells me she can see actors fighting to play the characters I write.
ihavebiglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #50
Harbinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasqits View Post
I'm not a Christian but I do call my god God. Many people like myself do the same. In the future I will clarify to avoid any confusion.

Since a religion or belief debate is bound to turn ugly, I will continue to believe what I like and leave the worrying about my spiritual crash up to you guys. Thanks for your concern.
My apologies for the confusion and my assumption.

But I hope you understand what I was trying to say. Whilst it's comforting to believe there's some divinity attached to the direction your life has taken, spiritually there are pitfalls ahead with that kind of thinking.

That said good luck to you and I hope that when you do make it you realize it's because of hardwork and your talent. Not some vague divine guidance.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote