Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #61
JayKid

Default Re: Why do you think you are gonna make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Wright View Post
Good grammar are helpful, too.....
It was a typo. I type fast and don't reread most of the long replies I post... just sayin'.
JayKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #62
R.D. Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKid View Post
It was a typo. I type fast and don't reread most of the long replies I post... just sayin'.
I know.....And I'm just playin'....

I agree with you that luck is always a factor.....But it's never the only factor.

Still waiting to get lucky.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #63
JayKid

Yea, I assumed you were.

Exactly, I don't think you should just let yourself be guided by the stars or something. There is a lot you can do to improve your chances. However, part of the equation you have no control over. With enough determination and persistence most people can probably overcome this "luck" barrier... but it's still there.

It's like getting a royal flush or pocket aces in poker, but much (MUCH) harder. I think you have a 1/212 chance to get AA... well, just think of all the damn variables that need to come together to break in and then be successful--a lot more than 2 like getting AA in Hold 'Em.

Now, the thing is, you can control some of the cards you are able to get with regards to screenwriting, but some things you can still never control.
JayKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #64
DaltWisney
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I assumed you were.

Exactly, I don't think you should just let yourself be guided by the stars or something. There is a lot you can do to improve your chances. However, part of the equation you have no control over. With enough determination and persistence most people can probably overcome this "luck" barrier... but it's still there.

It's like getting a royal flush or pocket aces in poker, but much (MUCH) harder. I think you have a 1/212 chance to get AA... well, just think of all the damn variables that need to come together to break in and then be successful--a lot more than 2 like getting AA in Hold 'Em.

Now, the thing is, you can control some of the cards you are able to get with regards to screenwriting, but some things you can still never control.
I see what you're saying and I agree that luck can be a big factor. It reminds me of a story I heard about a particular screenwriter. Apparently he was struggling and thinking of quitting the business. Then he got a call from Clint Eastwood. Eastwood had read his script and wanted to do it. Boom. IN THE LINE OF FIRE gets made and earns truckloads of cash. The writer goes on to a successful career.

I like this story because I think it illustrates the roles of luck and skill in this game. It took skill for the writer to create the good script, but if his material didn't resonate with one of the few stars who was perfect for the lead role then the project might not have happened.

So yea, there's luck involved, but it seems like most of the people who achieve sustained success in this business create their own luck through excellence. The runaway success of THE DEPARTED and LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE started with scripts that were good enough to get people on board. So while the writers on those projects were lucky in the sense that everything came together perfectly for them, there would be no success story if they hadn't written the great script in the first place.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #65
Adam Isaac

I have the soundtrack for FAME, and I know every word to the theme from LAVERNE & SHIRLEY. I'm a rare talent that only comes along once every 10 minutes in the Film Biz.

Seriously, I love the challenge of entertaining audiences and readers. Anybody ever milked a cow before? I have. It takes patience and a willingness-nay, a desire-to get your hands dirty to milk that cow.

Over-thinking and over-analyzing severs body from mind...I'm going to 'make it' because I love writing. Three things in life you never give up on: Motion Pictures, your family, and yourself(as in, doing the things you love doing in your life). A great creative mind CANNOT cope with their life if they shut that door on themselves...no way, Jose Cuervo. No way.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #66
Scott M
User

I'm going to make it because not only do I have a superiority complex, I actually AM better than you.

Back in reality, I actually don't think I will make it, but I'm not letting that stop me from trying.
Scott M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #67
AaronB
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Isaac View Post
16 DAYS TO ENTER YOUR SHORT IN THE MOTEL MACABRE WRITING CONTEST!

Nobody wants to enter my shorts...trust me.

If I put them in the contest, they'd win pants-down. I mean, hands-down.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #68
AaronB
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying it's just luck. I'm just saying that's a huge part of it.
Yes, it is. Still, chance favors the prepared mind.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #69
beerbeastredux

I like to think I'm gonna "make it" because I have no other alternative. Besides, when I'm older ( assuming I live that long ) I don't want to regret never having tried my very best to achieve my life goals.
beerbeastredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #70
odocoileus

Those pictures I was talking about earlier?

I was in them too.

With the sheep.

And Jerry Bruckheimer.

Jerry was just holding the sheep...