Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
dog678
Regular

Default How to Make it in America

What did you all think? It flew under the radar over on HBO, and it's considered the new hot show on TV.

The Pilot was ok. Some of the character motivations were kind of weak and the setups were not the best I've seen, but it does have that young twenty-something New York vibe to it that could last for a while. I think they need to stick to more of the hustle aspect of characters instead of diving right into relationships new and old. Seemed like they forced plotlines too fast, but it is the pilot and pilots are known to overdue it at times.

The style of the show is unique and refreshing at times with an artsy look at the hustle of New York. Good opening too. Seems like HBO cares enough about this one to keep it going. I'll definitely be coming back for the next episode. Fingers crossed.
dog678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
PaleWriter
Regular

Default Re: How to Make it in America

I really liked the show. A lot. I've read from those that have seen the first four epi's and they say it gets deeper into their characters.

I'll be around for next week.
PaleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
SI_NYC

Solid characters, almost believable setting, and a pre-Entourage hustling to make it vibe (minus the show business setting). Not to mention sparing the viewer from cul de sac and reality show drama queens. Even if it didb't improve upon the pilot, it looks like they have a solid show on their hands as long as they avoid having guest shots from anybody who is even mentioned on E!
SI_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
nomad
User

for a comedy, it should be funnier. but i think it definitely has potential. nice to finally see new york portrayed in a more realistic, gritty way for a change. even explored brooklyn a little bit...never see that on tv unless it's a crime scene on law & order.

i'll tune in tonight.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
winter dreams

Solid debut, love the glimpses of Manhattan life, and excellent acting, especially by the lead guy.

But at the same time, it fell a little flat to me. I don't think this young-guys-trying-to-make-it-in-Manhattan hook is enticing enough. Entourage is about the friendship among four guys, but the real hook is the living the Hollywood dream fantasy (plus for those like us, the behind-the-scenes look at how Hollywood works is intriguing). So far, this new show lacks that kind of strong hook for me.
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
dog678
Regular

What I don't like is the whole denim line they're trying to start. It's not something THAT unique and different, just kinda ehhhh. I don't want to see guys try and startup their own brand of jeans. It's a horrible idea to have and strive for unless you're a fashion designer and these guys clearly are not. If the show was about a young upstart in the fashion world, it would have a hook and an industry to explore.

My hope for the season is they struggle to make the jean brand work and in the end realize it's not gonna happen. THEN, in season 2, a new idea pops up into their head and they try and make that idea happen.

So each season, they have a new idea to make it big. It would be the best conceit for the show. Guys trying to make it big in America by trying to get their ideas to work.

I hope the writers follow that plan and introduce a new idea every season. It would keep this show fresh and unique. It's definitely one of my fav new shows to watch, but if this show sticks to the denim line past season 1, it will kill it for me. Love the style, love the young New York vibe, but it just needs a bit more glue to hold it together.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
dog678
Regular

This show is starting to fall off the deep end. This last episode was kind of cool, but it seems as if the writers are too stuck-up about this show. They think it's too good to fail, but it will if they keep up the boring dialogue.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
SI_NYC

I still watch it because the Network alternatives are even worse, but this show as an astute on line critic mentioned is recycling all the cliches that are out there toward their target audience. A couple of the shows allude to a Lower East Side setting and having spent a few years working in the neighborhood I can't even imagine that it has become so gentrified and sanitized (I suspect there might be a few Asian people still left in the neighborhood) or that it has become this boring. My own opinion is if they catch more of the real local flavor and drop the cookbook formulas that viewers have seen in multiple other shows, the concept and setting could still be a winner. I hope they don't play it safe.

Last edited by SI_NYC : 03-16-2010 at 05:38 PM.
SI_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Nashrambler
User

I find the show to be vaguely watchable fluff. The cute talent is the best part.
Nashrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
PaleWriter
Regular

I'm still not sure what I think about this show. Towards the end, I found myself wanting to see more of Guzman's story (Rene / RastaMonsta).
PaleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote