Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
JRS3
Regular

Default Re: 2010 Austin Notifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
For quite a while now, Austin has been the place to be for screenwriters. I've been to several major festivals, including Sundance, and you don't have the opportunity to sit down and shoot the breeze with a working, professional writers. I've heard nothing but good stories about Austin.

I'm still on the fence about going this year ($$$ concerns). Can anyone recommend an affordable, reputable, clean hotel or place to stay?
Isn't your friend (whom your reading a script for) in Austin?
JRS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
PaleWriter
Regular

Historically, notifications go out late August/early September. A few years ago I was called on Labor Day (Monday) to be informed I made it to the Semis. And I recall last year I got my rejection notice about the same time (end of August).

And that's the thing...you don't want the letter. If you get a letter, you didn't advance farther than the second round.
PaleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
callingit
Regular

I've got the Hilton Garden Inn for $ 135 a night. It's clean, five blocks from the AFF site, and has a good rep. A very good price, IMO.

You can find cheaper hotels that are further away from the conference site, and their reputations are less than stellar.

Again, Southwest seems to have the best airfare rates. Check them out.
callingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
NatachaVonBraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS3 View Post
Isn't your friend (whom your reading a script for) in Austin?
Yes. I'd rather stay in a hotel. I'm high maintenance that way.
NatachaVonBraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
glantern2814
User

Because you get so many high-level film execs and agent/managers attending, I think there's a much higher appreciation for people who do well in the contest. The conference itself is something every would-be screenwriter ought to do at least once in their life.

I know the script of mine that made the 2006 second round got some buzz because of AFF, and it allowed me to cold call some prodcos and send them a copy, something that probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't advanced. And going to the festival allowed me to get reads for other things I had written.

In general, I think entering any contest just for the prize money is the wrong attitude. Sure, some of them are nothing to sneeze at, but at the end of the day, you want a contest that can boost your writing career if you advance. Austin, Nicholl, Disney, Sundance and perhaps one or two others can do that.
glantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
sfire8
User

Honestly, I didn't get much traction placing in the semi's last year, beyond a couple of requests to read.

But, placing can always go on a query letter and I think more people are willing to read a logline that has already placed in a contest. Also Austin is one of the only contests that breaks it down into categories like comedy, drama, sci-fi, so you have a better chance in your genre. It also says something that certain Austin winners, also win Nichols in the same year.

Also, Austin is just fun! They call you personally, have special panels, mixers, etc. People read your badge that says semi-finalist and it's like your a mini celeb. The pitch contest is a blast...if you make it to the finals, you pitch to people like Terry Rossio onstage in a cowboy bar in front of a druken audience like a stand-up comedian. (I was appalled, but to this day, getting up and doing that is something I'm very proud of.) .
sfire8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
lordmanji

i went in 07 it was pretty cool. id go again if i made the finals hint hint
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
wildswan
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji View Post
i went in 07 it was pretty cool. id go again if i made the finals hint hint

Now there's a thought... Up the number of finalists to increase attendance!

Just kidding.

Austin's a great experience. I'll go again if I can possibly find a way to afford it -- even if I don't make the finals. (Still hoping I do, of course!)
wildswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
LeadSolo
Regular

E-mail received today:

We will be announcing advancements soon.* Notification letters will go out to First Round and Second Round contestants by September 2.* Semi-finalists will also be notified by this date.* The feedback included in this year's entry fee will be sent out shortly after this. Finalists will be announced by September 23 and then, of course, the winners will be announced on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at the Austin Film Festival’s Awards Luncheon held at the historic Austin Club.
LeadSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
NatachaVonBraun

Panelists announced:

http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/2010_panelists
NatachaVonBraun is offline   Reply With Quote