Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #11
Bono

Default Re: Daily Beast article

It was just a theory that hit me, trying to figure out the evil man's motivations... but the truth is he's just a bad person and would be a bad person if he was an accountant.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
sherbetbizarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
I guess I live under a rock; I had no idea.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-la...-people-to-him
Should have been on this site 6 years ago...

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=63925&page=8

Early warning signs there (from his own mouth no less) but the poster who provided the links appears to have gone, taking his posts with him!
sherbetbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
Should have been on this site 6 years ago...

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=63925&page=8

Early warning signs there (from his own mouth no less) but the poster who provided the links appears to have gone, taking his posts with him!
Well, for pete's sake, I commented on that post and apparently read the articles and linked some. Jeez, my mind must be going.

There's too much going on in the world for me to keep track of all the sleeze, I guess. Comforting in an odd way. Ha!
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
Bono

Don't feel bad, his managers just fired him after the Daily Beast article, because they just became "aware."

You can stand by your clients or you can drop them, but don't pretend you didn't know until today. That's the worst PR excuse they all use that drives me nuts.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #15
UpandComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Well, for pete's sake, I commented on that post and apparently read the articles and linked some. Jeez, my mind must be going.

There's too much going on in the world for me to keep track of all the sleeze, I guess. Comforting in an odd way. Ha!
Lol
Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 AM   #16
ScreenRider
User

Who could have guessed that an endlessly manic man who literally displays the aposematic colors of a venomous snake could turn out to be dangerous.
ScreenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #17
Captain Nemo
User

Not to blame the son for the sins of the father, but it seems there is a certain consistency in the sociopathic lack of concern for others that has been passed down -- along with the money and power to be able to act out with minimal fear of the possible consequences.

I find that younger people in the business who love Landis' comedies are often unaware of this incident, which displays the director's sociopathic behavior on a tragic scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone_accident
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #18
Bono

I'm well aware of it and that just makes his father evil too in another terrible way... but sure there are tendencies in their genetic chain for sure.

And that's why I always say separate the work and the artist. You will go crazy trying to do anything else. Animal House and An American Werewolf in London are amazing movies and remain so. You can still enjoy them without remorse. The movies and TV shows didn't do anything wrong.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #19
UpandComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
And that's why I always say separate the work and the artist. You will go crazy trying to do anything else. Animal House and An American Werewolf in London are amazing movies and remain so. You can still enjoy them without remorse. The movies and TV shows didn't do anything wrong.
Definitely. I grew up loving The Blues Brothers and Trading Places, but I didn't even know about The Twilight Zone incident until last year. Nothing will change my love for those movies, or the fact that Landis is a talented director. What has changed is the way I view him as a human being. His legacy is forever tarnished in that regard because of his behavior.

All the misconduct scandals of the past few years have forced us to relitigate how we see so many beloved (or at least, admired) figures in arts and entertainment. It's a sad process, especially when there's so much nostalgia involved, but it's necessary.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
Definitely. Nothing will change my love for those movies, or the fact that Landis is a talented director. What has changed is the way I view him as a human being. His legacy is forever tarnished in that regard because of his behavior.
of course, you are entitled to your opinion, and i respect that, but...

idk, i disagree. for me, he's a reckless director that breaks labor laws and ignores the safety of his cast and crew. it wasn't an accident that those people died, it was negligence. If they weren't on set, breaking the law, shooting at night with children, have pyrotechnics with children on set, flying the helicopter lower than safely recommended because John wanted a more dangerous looking shot, they never would have died.

that's the bottom line.

the only reason we know about The Twighlight Zone incident, is because of the accident, but this is a character flaw and as such it's highly doubtful this was the first time, or the last, he pushed the limits far beyond what was reasonable.

it's all part of what kind of director he is. how can you separate them? it's not like he had a DUI and killed someone in a car accident when he wasn't working. this incident happened because he was a director breaking the law and ignoring the safety recommendation of others.

imo, he isn't a director to admire, that just condones his actions.

UpandComing, i'm not attacking your position, simply stating my own. no offense intended.