Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Boobsie Malone
Regular

Default Re: 2 studios/ Need help

Writerly,

I have to respectfully disagree. The poster has said 'after a few rounds of notes she said i could "hook up with an agent and shop it around."' Which means to me, that the friend doesn't think it's in shape to go out to agents, yet. But, when it is, I think the poster is in a great position to ask for referrals.

I understand that the instinct is to hurry and get the script out there, but if the script isn't ready, the script isn't ready.

I think waiting for notes, and rewriting the script is a great way to approach this. Because, it can hurt if he approaches agents and gets a pass. Those are agents he won't be able to contact again. Whereas, if he approaches them in a couple of months time, he'll have a great script that has the possibility of getting an agent. Which is not a position he's in now.

And, yes, when you have a sale is a great time to get a great agent, because that agent will be able to get you much more exposure than just the sale itself. The agent will be able to turn your sale into a career.

Agreed, there's no reason to not try to get an agent now, unless your script isn't ready. Which seems to be the case here.

I think that the poster mistook what was happening, and a lot of the posters here have seen through the haze, realizing that his script isn't in development, that his script is getting coverage, which is an entirely different beast, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Even you say: "You definitely don't want to be sending anything out to a studio that you don't think is ready." That is the advice the posters are giving here. They're saying the script isn't ready, because his friend said it isn't ready. As a favor, the friend is getting coverage on the script, so that the poster can rewrite it to make it ready.

At least, that's what I read.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
mcd5
User

Wow.

I never knew a post could encourage such bickering, especially back to the original poster who was just looking for some friendly advice. If you skim the my original post you will see that I was never under the impression that it was going to be sold. And, I never said it was in development at 2 studios. If that was the case, I don't think I would be posting on the internet, I'd be out celebrating.

The script is in "story development" as I said in the first post. Possibly they have different creative nicknames for the stage in each studio... I don't know. Maybe I should have been more precise. It is beyond the original coverage stage. The head of story development at both places is giving me notes and additional feedback. Not a huge deal, I'm aware. I was just curious to see if anyone got their foot in the door (getting in at a studio is in my opinion far greater than many other places) and it warranted enough attention to snatch a decent agent.

I am playing everyone's favorite waiting game as we speak, and I know that after the notes there will be many long nights of revisionism, which will hopefully improve the script. Fantastic. I was curious to see if getting notes from 2 studios would generate enough heat to spread it around to a few agencies. The general sentiment seems that it is not. Maybe after the first round of notes...

Waiting and Seeing,

mcd

By the way, thank you for all your help. Especially you Boobsie, that was a great post. And I appreciate your enthusiasm, writerly. Thanks again.
mcd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #13
Joe Unidos

Okay....

I'm not trying to be a ballbuster here, but I gotta get this straight: you are saying that the Head of Story Development at one of these six companies:

the 20th Century Fox (owned by News Corporation)
Paramount Pictures (owned by Viacom)
Sony Pictures Entertainment (owned by Sony)
NBC Universal Entertainment (owned by General Electric)
Warner Bros. Entertainment (owned by TimeWarner)
New Line Cinema (owned by TimeWarner)
Buena Vista Motion Pictures Group (owned by The Walt Disney Company)

(who is a usually a VP at least, I'm not gonna drag out the HCD and find names, but I think everyone will more or less concede this) is personally doing an enhanced coverage of your spec, which his studio doesn't own? And this is happening with not one $500K-$1m/year studio exec, but two?

This presupposes to me that your friend is a VP or higher, in which case she should just buy the damn thing.

Either that or someone is confused. Maybe me.
Joe Unidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #14
Fixer-Upper Brother
Banned

Come on, mcd5, you don't need to listen to those yokels--I mean, naysayers!

You did damn good! That's great NETWORKING.

Don't worry about stepping on anyone's toes. All they can say is no. You can ask any producer you have a relationship with to give you a referral. But if it's no, then just tell agents the truth.

If an agent or manager will listen to you, do it, for God's sake! If you don't, I'm coming over there to eat your lunch for you!

Good luck, my friend.

Rob
Fixer-Upper Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #15
mcd5
User

No, Joe. Maybe I am confused. I wasn't referring to the 500K guys. I am talking about 2 individuals in story development who are responsible for notes. I must have misquoted their title. The two companies are on that list though.

Thanks for all your help. I think the post has lost its luster though. I am going to wait till I get some notes back and then I am going to send it back in to the studios with my revisions. Maybe I'll ask around at that point. It will probably depend on how thick the binder of notes is (it can't be more than 100 pages, can it?) and how much red tide is drenching the paper (hopefully less than 2 pens worth).

Thanks again.

mcd
mcd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:45 AM   #16
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer-Upper Brother
Come on, mcd5, you don't need to listen to those yokels--I mean, naysayers!

You did damn good! That's great NETWORKING.

Don't worry about stepping on anyone's toes.
Rob

Um, networking tends to work best when not stepping on peoples toes.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #17
Joe Unidos

I think the most important aspect is the one the mcd5 hasn't lost sight of: That not only is it good networking, it's also an opportunity to get feedback and improve the material!

I wish you good luck, mcd5 and would offer the only advice I believe, even though it's counter to a lot of what you'll see on messageboards: Get the material as perfect as you have the ability too before trying to do any of the business-side stuff.
Joe Unidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #18
LIMAMA

Yeah, it was confusing, then I realized that the script was being sent to a reader for coverage.

You could still call agents and tell them the script is being covered by so and so. That might entice them to read it.
LIMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #19
rockridesva

Agree with Limama, telling the agents its "being read by", or "covered" by the studios does have the potential to at least boost listening ears. Won't hurt, unless the script isn't up to par, and the coverage rips it a new a$$.
rockridesva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #20
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridesva
Won't hurt, unless the script isn't up to par, and the coverage rips it a new a$$.

Which you won't know until you get the notes.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote