Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
jillybob

Default Meeting with network development contact -- thoughts?

So I have a coffee meeting tomorrow with a guy from the drama development department at a network. Well, to be specific, he's the assistant to the head of drama development for the network. (He contacted me and requested my "House" spec after the Austin win, and then followed up and asked to meet.) Obviously, "assistant" can mean many things, and I don't know how much pull he's got, but at a minimum, he's out there hunting on his own for writers and projects that he can bring to his boss. So I'm not counting my chickens yet, but it's a possible foot in the door for me.

Any thoughts on points to hit at the meeting? When we spoke, he didn't ask if I had a pilot script, but I do. So I'm definitely planning on talking that up. I'm wondering, though, if I should bring a hard copy of the script. Normally, I pretty much always send scripts via email, but I'm thinking in this case, it might be kind of silly to pitch him the pilot and then not have a copy of the script on hand.

And yes, I'm aware of the infinitessimally small chances of an uncredited newbie selling a pilot. But as I said, the guy sought me out, so I'm just trying to cover my bases and make the most of a possible opportunity.

Thoughts? Thanks.
jillybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
odriftwood

Default Re: Meeting with network development contact -- thoughts?

Don't bring the script because it might make you look a bit desperate. If he asks what else you're working on/or have then bring up the pilot but don't open with that. For a meet and greet, he wants to get a sense of what you're bringing to a writer's room. Do you have interesting stories to tell? Are you a team player? Is there something colorful in your background which gives you a unique point of view? What shows do you like? And be prepared to talk about his network shows. Ask what show on another network does he wish he had. Empower him a bit, not in a kiss ass way but in a way that shows you respect his opinion. If he asks for the script, send it over that day or the next with a note thanking him for the meeting and a promise to follow up. Building relationships is extremely important in this business. For TV, the choice might come down for him to recommend you. Give him plenty of reasons to.... oh, yeah, and wear comfortable shoes.
odriftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
jillybob

The desire to avoid looking desperate is the exact reason I usually don't carry my scripts around with me. (That, and it'd be heavy.) Clearly my initial instincts still apply.

Lots of good advice, odriftwood, thanks! I watch enough of the network's shows to legitmately talk up a few with pleasure, and in fact, did so when first emailed by the guy in question. But I really like the question about what show on another network he wishes he had, too.

Of course, now that I actually started talking about it, the meeting's been rescheduled. The power of posting, I guess. But now it's pushed back to the first week of January, so the rest of you all have a chance to chime in with tips, if you like!

Or not. But again, thanks for the great pointers, odriftwood.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
odriftwood

Quote:
Of course, now that I actually started talking about it, the meeting's been rescheduled. The power of posting, I guess. But now it's pushed back to the first week of January, so the rest of you all have a chance to chime in with tips, if you like!
Welcome to Hollywood. I was actually surprised anyone was taking a meeting this week!
odriftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
Minibrain
Regular

1) Don't carry scripts around with you. Send them later if he wants to read more.

2) Selling a pilot is less likely than getting a staff job on a show.

3) In TV development, a lot of executives started out as assistants. At a couple networks, assistants are treated more like low-level executives. They sit in on most meetings, they get to give notes, they screen material. And, they're encouraged to scout new writers.
Minibrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
theladywriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by odriftwood View Post
Don't bring the script because it might make you look a bit desperate. If he asks what else you're working on/or have then bring up the pilot but don't open with that. For a meet and greet, he wants to get a sense of what you're bringing to a writer's room. Do you have interesting stories to tell? Are you a team player? Is there something colorful in your background which gives you a unique point of view? What shows do you like? And be prepared to talk about his network shows. Ask what show on another network does he wish he had. Empower him a bit, not in a kiss ass way but in a way that shows you respect his opinion. If he asks for the script, send it over that day or the next with a note thanking him for the meeting and a promise to follow up. Building relationships is extremely important in this business. For TV, the choice might come down for him to recommend you. Give him plenty of reasons to.... oh, yeah, and wear comfortable shoes.

Have you checked him out to make sure he is actually who he says he is? Other than that, I'd say good luck with it. It's about time some of these folks take a different approach to finding material since a lot of the stuff on now, sucks.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
jimjimgrande

ask him about the pilots he's got shooting, which ones he likes, which ones you should read
jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Minibrain
Regular

And yeah, what JimJim said.
Minibrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
jillybob

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate it, and I especially appreciate the tips for asking him questions and drawing him out -- basically, making the right kind of "small talk."

Theladywriter, yes, I do know this guy is who he says he is. He's emailed me exclusively from his work address, which is the network's email and contains his name and title. Plus, I asked my (hopefully, knock wood) soon-to-be-agent about him. (Though that was more to get a sense of where specifically the guy was in the company food chain.)

As far as the pilot goes, I didn't write it expecting to sell it; I wrote it to have as a sample, because that seems to be the way the trend is going in terms of what people want to read. Everybody still wants a spec first and foremost, naturally, but then they want a pilot as a second sample. So I figured it was only a matter of time before this guy wanted to see it as a sample at the very least. Any thoughts beyond that are just a playful bit of the "what if ....?" game.

The real gist of it is, I'm just a little fuzzy on what his role is in the department and what exactly he's looking at me for, so I don't know what to expect here or what the likely possibilities are. It's not that I'm all that stressed about it -- I'm actually pretty relaxed -- I just don't really know what job I'm theoretically selling myself for. So I thought the board here would be a good resource as to how to conduct myself. And it has been!

I'm fairly confident about both my writing and my ability to be "good in the room." It's just the finer details that I thought I maybe could use some coaching on.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
DickDaring
User

Jillybob:

How did your meeting go?

I have my first network exec meeting next week (also from an Austin script), and have a lot of the same concerns you mentioned.

Congrats on winning for HOUSE. I read your script online and thought it rocked.
DickDaring is offline   Reply With Quote