Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
proudtobedad
New User

Default Prod Co's or Agencies for Gay-Themed Feature???

Hi everyone,

Having recently completed my new feature drama, WISH ME ON MY WAY, I'm in the process of getting it out to producers and agents, and could use any leads you might have. Although I envision it being done fairly economically, due to the script's musical elements it won't be able to be done as a truly low-budget film either. Any leads you might have on either production companies or agents who might be interested in this type of material would be appreciated!

LOGLINE: WISH ME ON MY WAY
A gay theater director, more comfortable living a life of musical fantasy, struggles against his insecurities to embrace a more rich, full, and true existence.

SYNOPSIS
Facing his 40’s as a single gay man, regional theater director Robert Standard is stalled, personally and professionally. Though smart, attractive, and charming, whenever emotionally challenged, Robert retreats into his head, preferring the bright sheen of musical fantasy to the darker elements of real life.

Though he spends his days surrounded by loving friends, including acerbic Rachel and fun-loving Meeka, Robert still feels that something is missing from his life.

The unexpected return of an old flame, Trey, catches Robert off guard, causing him to reexamine his feelings for Trey and the actions that lead to their breakup. At the same time, confusing matters, Robert encounters new love in the form of Cirque performer Ivar. These two very different people lead Robert to examine the choices he has made and how they have affected his life and being.

While attempting to navigate these relationships, Robert discovers that Trey is ill and has returned home to die. Devastated, Robert learns he can no longer retreat into his head. In order to live a more rich, full and true existence, he will have to face his insecurities and overcome his fears.

Only by emotionally participating in life will Robert ever escape from the world of musical fantasy in his head, enabling him to truly and fully “sing.”

AUTHOR
I have directed numerous theatrical productions, winning awards for both Best Play and Meritous Direction at the Kennedy Center. As a UCLA theater major, I won the Doris Packer Award for Graduating Senior. Additionally, I am a published author, with various short stories appearing in a number of publications. Further, my screenplays have placed highly in competitions such as the Nicholls (top 1%) and Writer’s Digest (top 25). As for myself, I live in Orange County, with my partner Russ and our two adopted sons Mason (7) and Marcus (5).

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by proudtobedad : 08-29-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: misleading title
proudtobedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
CutteRug
Regular

Default Re: Leads Needed for Gay-Themed Feature

Haha! Sorry, the title makes it sound like you're casting and looking for the "leads".

As for drumming up connections, I'd say you're in the same boat as the rest of us. The contest-placings help a lot. I'd query the companies you think will be interested with a similar (if abbreviated) version of your post.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
wcmartell

Well, you may have screwed yourself. The problem is, you have a niche audience story that you don't think can be done on a niche audience budget.

Plus, I don't see the hook or genre. It seems autobiographical instead of escapist fantasy in some genre. I know a director who makes horror films aimed at a Gay audience - and most of the films I've seen (cross-over) are comedies like HIT & RUNWAY (hmm, almost a decade ago - I must see more Gay cinema).

But, you might as well get some helpful info: Regent, makers of GODS AND MONSTERS, produces some Gay movies. Of course, the best thing to do is make a list of all of the recent films like your script, find out who produced them, query those companies.

- Bill
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
kintnerboy

Since the mods have taken it upon themselves to selectively delete some of my posts, I am helping them out by deleting the rest.

Last edited by kintnerboy : 09-01-2007 at 03:21 PM.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote