Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
NoTalentAssClown
Regular

Default Taking an acting class

Anyone taken an acting class? I recently watched "The Dialogue" interviews with Billy Ray and Paul Attanasio. They both mentioned that taking an acting class was one of the best things they've done for their writing. I think Attanasio said it was literally the best thing he'd done. I recently went to a Meisner class in LA taught by Bill Alderson (a direct descendant, as it were, of Meisner). Anyone studied acting, Meisner, etc? Have thoughts, experiences they want to share?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
johnmonster
Regular

Default Re: Taking an acting class

I was a drama major in college, though I didn't finish my degree. For various reasons I never took it any further, which I regret today.

One thing about the experience, it broadened my appreciation of films I'd otherwise have never bothered to see.

Currently I am an actor in a Haunted House attraction for the month of October, and prior to that I was in a short-lived comedy improv group.

If you can find a community theater group locally, that's another great experience.
johnmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Telly

Acting was a huge part of my entry into writing. I wanted to act in order to understand it's perspective and was hooked. Took several classes as well. Meisner is fabulous and was my initial school of training. However my acting career was a joke and plummeted until I found my true calling, screenwriting.

My acting career was short but fun. I got an agent and landed a speaking role (two lines) in the Showtime series, Sleeper Cell. Both lines were cut, however I'm still in a cool scene where the leads come into my RV and buy some anthrax from me. I then got a role on the show Numbers as Will Patton's aide but was fired after the first episode. They found someone else. I did get to follow Patton around an entire episode and act like a bad-ass, it's still on TV all the time, so is the Sleeper Cell episode. I also got an amazing role on Will & Grace as one of Sean Haye's flings. I was a bus boy he picked up at a restaurant. The scene we shot apparently was "too racy" and was cut. However it was an incredible day I'll never forget. I hung out with the cast and crew all day and ate lunch with Sydney Pollack and Megan Mullally. That was pretty much it for me and I quit. The awesome part about that one was the producer never told me it was cut and I had a premiere party at my house for that episode with family and friends. Most embarrassing moment of my life indeed. I called the producer the next day and he apologized for not informing me. I looked like a tool.

Anyway, I know no one cares about my mediocre acting career, but thought it was funny enough to share

Yes, acting is good for writing and helped a lot actually. I found truth and character development much easier.

Good luck
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
NoTalentAssClown
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Acting was a huge part of my entry into writing. I wanted to act in order to understand it's perspective and was hooked. Took several classes as well. Meisner is fabulous and was my initial school of training. However my acting career was a joke and plummeted until I found my true calling, screenwriting.

My acting career was short but fun. I got an agent and landed a speaking role (two lines) in the Showtime series, Sleeper Cell. Both lines were cut, however I'm still in a cool scene where the leads come into my RV and buy some anthrax from me. I then got a role on the show Numbers as Will Patton's aide but was fired after the first episode. They found someone else. I did get to follow Patton around an entire episode and act like a bad-ass, it's still on TV all the time, so is the Sleeper Cell episode. I also got an amazing role on Will & Grace as one of Sean Haye's flings. I was a bus boy he picked up at a restaurant. The scene we shot apparently was "too racy" and was cut. However it was an incredible day I'll never forget. I hung out with the cast and crew all day and ate lunch with Sydney Pollack and Megan Mullally. That was pretty much it for me and I quit. The awesome part about that one was the producer never told me it was cut and I had a premiere party at my house for that episode with family and friends. Most embarrassing moment of my life indeed. I called the producer the next day and he apologized for not informing me. I looked like a tool.

Anyway, I know no one cares about my mediocre acting career, but thought it was funny enough to share

Yes, acting is good for writing and helped a lot actually. I found truth and character development much easier.

Good luck
Your acting career may have been mediocre, but the story about it was top notch, my friend.

Have you seen the show Unscripted? Your premiere party fiasco is, like, a mirror image of something that happens to one of the characters. Hilarious!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTalentAssClown View Post
YHave you seen the show Unscripted? Your premiere party fiasco is, like, a mirror image of something that happens to one of the characters. Hilarious!
No I haven't, but I'm glad my pain is greenlit in sitcoms
Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
THEUGLYDUCKLING

Good story. i was hooked.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
-XL-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
How have I never heard these stories? Too cool.
-XL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by -XL- View Post
How have I never heard these stories? Too cool.
Once my wife let's me go out to play we'll grab a pint and I tell you some good ones. Miss you mate.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
umo

Very cool, Telly. Why did you quit?

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
umo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by umo View Post
Very cool, Telly. Why did you quit?
Because I sucked and thought I could write better than I could act. That's yet to be proven by the way.