Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
VanceVanCleaf
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 343
Default Universal Pictures

Hi, another newbie question, sorry...

While searching contacts, I found this statement of Universal:

While we are always happy to hear from you, it is Universal's policy not to accept or consider creative materials, ideas, or suggestions other than those we specifically request. This is to avoid any misunderstandings if your ideas are similar to those we have developed independently. Therefore we must request that you do not send to us any original creative materials such as screenplays, stories, original artwork, etc. Any communication or material you do transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by Universal or its affiliates for any purpose, including, but not limited to, reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast and posting. Furthermore, Universal is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to the Site for any purpose whatsoever including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products using such information.

--Surely you know similar statements?

* This means, I can not only sent NOT a complete script, but I can not even send a query, right?
* Moreover, it sounds to me as if they could take my stuff and make it their own without giving any credit (not to speak of money), right?

IF this is the general policy, I'd rather shelf my stuff. Please help, I'm a bit shocked, but still believe in in honesty...
__________________

VanceVanCleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,881
Default Re: Universal Pictures

I'd say skip NBC/Universal till you have an agent/manager/attorney they know. It's their loss, and there are plenty of other places to fish anyway. Here's what I get when I email them a log line query:

Quote:
SENT VIA E-MAIL

Dear Mr. ????:

Your ????, 2011 correspondence sent to ???????, concerning your unsolicited script entitled ????????, has been forwarded to the Feature Legal Department for a response.

Universal has a strict policy prohibiting the acceptance of unsolicited literary, dramatic or musical materials in any form for consideration, except when submitted by franchised literary agents or motion picture production individuals with whom Universal has established a working relationship.

Therefore, we are purging your material and all such information and correspondence from our system.

Thank you for your interest in Universal, but we ask that you be guided accordingly.

Very truly yours,

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Legal Administrator
There are lots like this, but then they might show up on VirtualPitchFest and the like, where you can pitch them. I've never seen NBC/Universal on VPF, but I have seen Warner, Columbia, MGM, places with deals at Disney, etc.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
NikeeGoddess
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,189
Default Re: Universal Pictures

you CAN send a query. you MAY NOT send a script... unless they ask which means they solicited it from you.

but yes - stay away from the big guys until you have an agent. there are plenty of smaller, more accommodating companies who won't read your script.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
VanceVanCleaf
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 343
Default Re: Universal Pictures

Okay...I'll skip them until I have an agent...
Maybe I need a smaller company, but it's hard to find . Of course the big ones show up first, in doing a search (I searched for companies who produced something in my genre and with similar topics on IMDBPro)

well, maybe I should leave the topic alone anyway.
__________________

VanceVanCleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Jeremynt
User
 
Jeremynt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 95
Default Re: Universal Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
but yes - stay away from the big guys until you have an agent. there are plenty of smaller, more accommodating companies who won't read your script.
Good one.
Jeremynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Geoff Alexander
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,589
Default Re: Universal Pictures

If you want to get a movie made at Universal, you don't go straight to Universal, you go to a company with a deal at Universal, or a producer that has made movies with the current regime there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceVanCleaf View Post
Hi, another newbie question, sorry...

While searching contacts, I found this statement of Universal:

While we are always happy to hear from you, it is Universal's policy not to accept or consider creative materials, ideas, or suggestions other than those we specifically request. This is to avoid any misunderstandings if your ideas are similar to those we have developed independently. Therefore we must request that you do not send to us any original creative materials such as screenplays, stories, original artwork, etc. Any communication or material you do transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by Universal or its affiliates for any purpose, including, but not limited to, reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast and posting. Furthermore, Universal is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to the Site for any purpose whatsoever including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products using such information.

--Surely you know similar statements?

* This means, I can not only sent NOT a complete script, but I can not even send a query, right?
* Moreover, it sounds to me as if they could take my stuff and make it their own without giving any credit (not to speak of money), right?

IF this is the general policy, I'd rather shelf my stuff. Please help, I'm a bit shocked, but still believe in in honesty...
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
dirtbottle
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 811
Default Re: Universal Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceVanCleaf View Post
well, maybe I should leave the topic alone anyway.

If you're giving up that easy you may as well shelve being a writer. Rejection will happen 10,000 times in your career. If the script is good find a way to get it out there to people and get it read.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
ddlogan
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 64
Default Re: Universal Pictures

I think this relates to the topic. I'm sure most of you know Endemol, probably can be compared to the Universal of tv.

Anyways, for about four years they have been working on their website. For two years they had a contact us section with submit a show idea which was coming soon. In just the last month they completed their website and now under the faqs it says everything is in house. Hmmmm.

I like how these companies like new writers to stay away by putting up legal notices we seemingly don't understand and lie about it.
ddlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Mac H.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,852
Default Re: Universal Pictures

Imagine that you like eating chocolate. In fact - you are the Universal Studios of chocolate.

There are many chocolate producers you work with to keep you up to date with a variety of tasty treats. As well as eating them you package them up nicely and sell them in your store.

You get a knock on the door - someone wants you to sample a new flavor. Great! So you open the box they give you .. but instead of chocolate there is a sheet of paper explaining the recipe and detailing the right time and temperature to add the maltodextrine.

What would you do?

If you were polite you would tell them to go to a chocolate producer who can make it into a product you can work with.

And the enthusiastic recipe writer will go to a chocolate producer and claim that "The Universal Studios of Chocolate told me to contact you - he'll read my recipe if you send it to him!" Of course you said no such thing! But the writer will inevitable take the rejection as 'Universal Studios will read it if we just get a lawyer/agent/chocolate producer to send it'

Now repeat that by a factor of a few thousand. After a while you will inevitably have a blanket rule that basically means "Stop sending me recipes. And if you do send me a recipe don't sue me just because we decide to sell a similar strawberry flavor next year"

The recipe writers, of course, are going to look at your blanket rule and claim "He's trying to keep new recipe writers away! He's trying to steal and lie and cheat me by saying I can't sue him if I decide to send a recipe anyway!"

The recipe writer who was trying to get you to buy a recipe for chocolate misunderstood the way the chocolate industry worked.

Does that make sense ?

Mac
(PS: Yes - I know it's not a perfect analogy. Hopefully it's close enough for the sake of this discussion)

Last edited by Mac H. : 03-09-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
silvercop
Regular
 
silvercop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 397
Default Re: Universal Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
you CAN send a query. you MAY NOT send a script... unless they ask which means they solicited it from you.

but yes - stay away from the big guys until you have an agent. there are plenty of smaller, more accommodating companies who won't read your script.
__________________
www.silvercop.com
If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.
silvercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker