Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Research and Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
TravisPickle
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 308
Default Ride Alongs

hi guys

I am writing a script centered around a border patrol agent.

I would love to go on a ride along.

my experience with ride alongs so far hasn't been great: I tried going on one with the D.C. Police and was cockblocked every step of the way. I was very honest about my profession and my intentions: to get the details right and portray them fairly. They hated that I was part of the "Media" (thanks, Donald) and gave me the runaround for months. Nothing came of it.

apparently they had to process my application through the "Press" department as opposed to the "Civilian" department.

so my question is... do you think i might be more successful with Border Patrol if I keep things super vague and just tell them I am a curious citizen?
TravisPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
GI_Jeep
User
 
GI_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Afghanistan/FT Bragg
Posts: 111
Default Re: Ride Alongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPickle View Post
hi guys

I am writing a script centered around a border patrol agent.

I would love to go on a ride along.

my experience with ride alongs so far hasn't been great: I tried going on one with the D.C. Police and was cockblocked every step of the way. I was very honest about my profession and my intentions: to get the details right and portray them fairly. They hated that I was part of the "Media" (thanks, Donald) and gave me the runaround for months. Nothing came of it.

apparently they had to process my application through the "Press" department as opposed to the "Civilian" department.

so my question is... do you think i might be more successful with Border Patrol if I keep things super vague and just tell them I am a curious citizen?
No, don't be vague. Be as transparent as possible. You dont want them to be suspicious of vague answers. They have a real issue with counter-intelligence gathering on the border and may see a "vague guy who wants to ask questions" as intell gathering for the TCO's. Just call the local sector and see if they do ride-alongs.
__________________
“Ray, next time someone asks you if you’re a god, you say YES!” — Ghostbusters
GI_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,882
Default Re: Ride Alongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Jeep View Post
...They have a real issue with counter-intelligence gathering on the border and may see a "vague guy who wants to ask questions" as intell gathering for the TCO's...
Especially from some guy who's message board name is TravisP(B)ickle, which might remind them of a movie character asking an FBI guy what it takes to join the Secret Service etc.

(The irony was too sweet, sorry.)
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
TravisPickle
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 308
Default Re: Ride Alongs

Hahaha
That was awesome - I genuinely lol’d!
If I had more hair I’d look Mohawk stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Especially from some guy who's message board name is TravisP(B)ickle, which might remind them of a movie character asking an FBI guy what it takes to join the Secret Service etc.

(The irony was too sweet, sorry.)
TravisPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
dworhach
User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 53
Default Re: Ride Alongs

Did you know DHS has an office to handle such requests?
Hope this helps,
Denise

The Department of Homeland Security's Office of Multimedia provides advice and guidance to screenwriters, directors, producers and authors who need information regarding the Department and its component agencies.
For information regarding assistance from the Department of Homeland Security in producing feature films/motion pictures, television programming, documentaries, books, and other multimedia projects, please contact the Office of Multimedia.
Contact
E-mail: multimedia@dhs.gov

Also see:
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...partm....pd f

Last edited by dworhach : 07-19-2018 at 08:47 AM.
dworhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker