Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Racoon
User

Default Producer needs nda to read script

Queried a small time producer this weekend, they write back and said I need a nda sent by my agent for them to read my script?

I ask is a release form ok? They said no, not according to their entertainment lawyer? Why would you need a nda just to read a script. No big deal, there are plenty out there who will read without signing anything.

Just thought I'd ask.

Racoon
Racoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
sppeterson

Default Re: producer needs nda to read script

The producer is an idiot and has apparently hired an incompetent entertainment attorney.

On the other hand, he may go far in this business.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Geoff Alexander

Default Re: Producer needs nda to read script

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
Queried a small time producer this weekend, they write back and said I need a nda sent by my agent for them to read my script?

I ask is a release form ok? They said no, not according to their entertainment lawyer? Why would you need a nda just to read a script. No big deal, there are plenty out there who will read without signing anything.

Just thought I'd ask.

Racoon
Wait, they are asking YOU to sign an NDA? They have it backwards, if anyone signs an NDA, it should be them. Let them know you will send one over so that you can be certain your ideas are protected.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Racoon
User

I think this might be an indication that they are too low budget to get something done?

Racoon
Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
SoCalScribe

Quote:

Just thought I'd ask.

Racoon
They want you to send them an NDA to sign? Seems a little unorthodox for them to ask for an NDA, but what the hell... if they want to bind themselves to a non-disclosure agreement before they read your script, it only helps protect you.

On the other hand, if they want YOU to sign an NDA, they're idiots. First because if they really cared about it, they'd have a form NDA that their own attorney drafted to say exactly what they want, rather than relying on other people to tell them what confidentiality rights they're entitled to. And second because you're submitting the script to them. Asking you to sign an NDA for something you submit to them would be like having a test screening where the audience asks the studio to sign a release and not talk about the movie. It's completely backward; a NDA is a ludicrous thing to ask for with a script submission anyway... but to ask the writer not to talk about his or her own script after it's submitted to a company is moronic.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Racoon
User

Yeah, it didn't sound right, so thats why I asked them was it ok just to send release form, as they didn't even provide me with the nda? Must be newbies?

racoon
Old 05-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
SabreScribe
New User

NDA is simply not enough these days.
You should also sign a Prenuptial, an IPO, an FOB, a Flight Manifest, a Deed, a Search Warrant and of course, don't forget a Magna Carta.

I'm surprised they even replied to you without getting these first.
SabreScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
ScottAlbert
New User

My question is, what does the NDA cover? What is it that YOU are not supposed to be disclosing?

I'd take a look at the NDA to see what exactly they're worried about you doing. If it covers your script in any way (i.e. it prohibits you from talking to other people about your script without first getting paid) run.

If, on the other hand, it only covers some bullshit stuff about not disclosing what you and the producer talked about, there's not any real harm signing it. Even though it is kinda stupid and certainly not standard (as far as I've ever heard).

It also doesn't necessarily translate into "this producer can't get the film made.' Do they have produced credits? Did you ask the producer why he or she thinks the NDA is needed?
ScottAlbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Racoon
User

They just said we would love to look at your scripts just send a nda through your agent.

And I said, is a release form ok, then they said, ent. attorney said no.

So I give up and move on to easier fish to fry.

racoon
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
DavidK

Quote:
They just said we would love to look at your scripts just send a nda through your agent.

And I said, is a release form ok, then they said, ent. attorney said no.

So I give up and move on to easier fish to fry.
Yeah - I totally don't get this. It's the first time I've heard a writer asked to submit an NDA for them to read the script and the logic is backwards - the NDA would give you more protection than the producer, and give the producer less legal protection than if they had asked you to sign a release. Besides, if an nda was being signed in this instance, it should be the prodcuer signing it, not you. I'm quite confused about what they're asking.