Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Adult

Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody ("Juno") reteam in the tale of a divorced fiction writer (Charlize Theron) returning to her home in small-town Minnesota and looking to rekindle a romance with her ex-boyfriend (Patrick Wilson), who is now married with kids. Patton Oswalt plays an old pal.

Looks like "Pretty In Pink" with a little "Fatal Attraction". I'm game.

http://www.YoungAdultMovie.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_-v7dEEoo
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Young Adult

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
    Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody ("Juno") reteam in the tale of a divorced fiction writer (Charlize Theron) returning to her home in small-town Minnesota and looking to rekindle a romance with her ex-boyfriend (Patrick Wilson), who is now married with kids. Patton Oswalt plays an old pal.

Looks like "Pretty In Pink" with a little "Fatal Attraction". I'm game.

http://www.YoungAdultMovie.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_-v7dEEoo
    I didn't particularly like the script, but Charlize will probably get an Oscar nom.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
      I didn't particularly like the script, but Charlize will probably get an Oscar nom.

Haven't read the script. Theron will get nommed again.
      Last edited by Madbandit; 11-12-2011, 06:31 AM.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I liked the script. I want to see it. The protagonist is definitely not sympathetic. Doesn't seem like an Oscar role to me, but hey. And it's not really like the films you mentioned, OP.
        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Based on the trailer, and knowing the players, I can't wait.
          ScriptGal
          Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
          Fifteen Years Development Experience
          http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

*barf.

Comment

I went throught the script, and I liked it.

Comment

Caught the trailer. I must say I wouldn't mine seeing this one. Loved
                UP IN THE AIR, and I haven't seen my fantasy wife in anything for a bit. As far as any script being sub par, there's a chance it could've been made better in the shooting draft or onset, considering the director involved and the fact that it's a comedy.

So far so good.
                "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                -Maya Angelou

Comment

I must say, it looks like exactly the brand of humor I like. The only question is if there will be any real connection to the story with a protagonist that's so out of touch with reality. Funny, but will we be caring about what happens? We'll see!

Comment

As with Alexander Payne, I would go see a Jason Reitman film without even seeing a trailer.

But it helps that the NY Times thinks it's brilliant.

"challenges the dreary conventional wisdom that a movie protagonist must be likable."

I'm so there.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/12/09...tml?ref=movies

Comment

Reitman and Payne - interesting comparison.
                      -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                        "challenges the dreary conventional wisdom that a movie protagonist must be likable."

To be fair, Diablo can challenge that wisdom since she got an Oscar.

Comment

Not quite the NY Times, but EW gave it a great review as well. Maybe CT will get nominated. Now I want to see it even more than I already did.
                          "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Read the EW review too, which is why I'm off to see it now. (But $15 at the Arclight? Charlize, I love you but damn!)
                            -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
                              Read the EW review too, which is why I'm off to see it now. (But $15 at the Arclight? Charlize, I love you but damn!)
                              How was it? Cody is actually doing a talk after the Sunday, 1:45 show at the Arclight. As of yesterday, it wasn't sold out. I can't make it, unfortunately.

I am really curious to see how this performs at the box office. It's getting great reviews everywhere, but I wonder whether non-coastal types will embrace an unsympathetic protagonist.

I can't recall how Up in the Air did - Clooney's character wasn't particularly sympathetic, either. Though, I believe cold-hearted men are more palatable than mean women.

Personally, I can't wait to see it!

Comment

Working...
                              X