Can You (Still) Sell A Movie Idea As Logline?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You (Still) Sell A Movie Idea As Logline?

I have a question about movie ideas.

I wonder if you can still find ways to sell only a movie idea only. That is thus a logline/moviepitch of 2-3 lines only and no script. ( I have made ome synopsis, but I figured out the people hunting for ideas only want to hear a logline first).

It started a long time ago since I was annoyed by the boring movies I saw and than started thinking of ideas myself. I read somewhere (book/internet) about moviepitches and that people send in ideas where sometimes a production company optioned it/or bought it and got a little exited about it.

I have made up 4 original movie ideas since (which as far as I know aren't existing movies yet) but do think now it is a mission impossible to do something with them. I am not a scriptwriter (far from that) but I hope there is someone here who can give me advice to pursue it or if this is such a mission impossible and drop it or should write a script.

In short: Can you still sell today a movie idea via a logline only?

I live in Europe, so I don't have any easy option to attend pitchfests or whatever they are called. Neither am I a (screen)writer, however maybe it is an option to find a person who is and see if that will help.

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Re: Can You (Still) Sell A Movie Idea As Logline?

In short, no. You'd need some real clout to pull that off.

Find somebody to write it or attempt it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sixkiller View Post

I wonder if you can still find ways to sell only a movie idea only. That is thus a logline/moviepitch of 2-3 lines only and no script. ( I have made ome synopsis, but I figured out the people hunting for ideas only want to hear a logline first).

It started a long time ago since I was annoyed by the boring movies I saw and than started thinking of ideas myself. I read somewhere (book/internet) about moviepitches and that people send in ideas where sometimes a production company optioned it/or bought it and got a little exited about it.

I have made up 4 original movie ideas since (which as far as I know aren't existing movies yet) but do think now it is a mission impossible to do something with them. I am not a scriptwriter (far from that) but I hope there is someone here who can give me advice to pursue it or if this is such a mission impossible and drop it or should write a script.

I live in Europe, so I don't have any easy option to attend pitchfests or whatever they are called. Neither am I a (screen)writer, however maybe it is an option to find a person who is and see if that will help.

Thanks for your help!

Bob
      Yes one can sell a pitch for a movie (which is essentially what you're talking about) but this usually only happens by established/working writer.

But for you specifically, probably not.

Comment

No. If you really believe the idea is so exciting someone would sink a million Euros into it, you should be willing to spend 3-4 months writing it. Or hire someone who can. Or settle for telling great stories at bars.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Bob
          No. You can't. Ideas are out there by the millions. It's the execution of those ideas that end up being films. If you have a track record of execution, then yes, you can sell an idea. No track record, no sale.

Comment

Why not hit http://www.imsdb.com/ and read the screenplays of your top 10 favorite movies, see how the pros did it, and have a go yourself? At the very least you'll develop the stories beyond the idea stage. Who knows, they might end up as novels one day, also.
            My web page!​

Comment

First of all, I basically agree with what everyone here says -- it's the execution that matters.

I've actually only met a handful of people in my entire life who DIDN'T have a great idea. Everyone has about a million ideas -- the waitress at the diner, the pool boy, the janitor at the high school -- but few have the chops to execute one at a professional level.

That being said, there is a contest from Script Pipeline called THE GREAT MOVIE IDEA CONTEST.

The final deadline for the 2014 contest is December 1st, so you might be in luck.

Here's the link:

http://scriptpipeline.com/shop/great-movie-idea-contest

Here's what they require:

For written pitches:
              -Anything from a two-sentence logline to a 3-5 page treatment-entirely up to you on how to best present your idea. We don't judge on format, we judge on the idea itself. Extended treatments and supplemental materials (illustrations, etc.) are also accepted. Please do not send full-length screenplays-summaries ONLY. Pitches may be emailed direct.
              -Longer submissions are judged on the SAME criteria as short ones, so whatever length you think is best.

Comment

Thanks for your input.

Confirms what I was already thinking that an idea needs a script.

I took a look at some scripts but don't think I will have the time and skillset to write something like that in a couple of months.

I will check out that competition, is that something more sites/production companies/other connected do? I found Robert Kosberg's website couple years ago but it doesn't seem up to date now/accepting pitches.

And is it an option to team up with a (starting) scriptwriter? Hiring one to do a script is not an option since I don't have money enough to have someone do it for me. But when you say "Ideas are there by the millions" problem I don't know if there are writers who are waiting for people with an idea.

Comment

Thanks for your input.

Confirms what I was already thinking that an idea needs a script.

I took a look at some scripts but don't think I will have the time and skillset to write something like that in a couple of months.

I will check out that competition, is that something more sites/production companies/other connected do? I found Robert Kosberg's website couple years ago but it doesn't seem up to date now/accepting pitches.

And is it an option to team up with a (starting) scriptwriter? Hiring one to do a script is not an option since I don't have money enough to have someone do it for me. But when you say "Ideas are there by the millions" problem I don't know if there are writers who are waiting for people with an idea.
                  Anyone connected to that competition will want to see a script immediately from any winner. It's not about buying the ideas. It never is.

You can try and find a scriptwriter to work with you, but unless you're hiring them it will would have to be a collaborative effort, meaning their ideas where the story should go would have to equal yours. That's the only way you get a serious screenwriter without paying them.

And no, serious screenwriters aren't looking for ideas, they have their own.

Comment

When you hear about an experienced writer selling a pitch, you have to understand that they're not selling, "This great idea."

What they're selling is "This great idea, as executed by me, a professional writer with a strong track record and a clear voice."

Essentially they're selling a spec script in advance of writing it.

Most amateurs don't really understand what constitutes a good idea. If Rossio and Elliot pitch me an idea, I know that it's battle-tested and will, fundamentally work as a movie. If Joe Schmoe off the street does, it probably won't - because there's a lot of non-obvious stuff that makes an idea work or not work, which amateurs are ignorant of.

Somebody - maybe NMS, I can't remember - once made an analogy to painting. If somebody said, "I have an idea for a painting, pay more for it and then go hire someone else to paint it," we'd laugh at them. The notion is absurd. We accept that "the idea for a painting" makes no sense apart from the execution for a painting.

What people don't understand is that talking about the idea for a movie like that is equally absurd.

Comment

I see. So all those info about people who sold only a movie idea constituting of 2-3 lines is likely to be blown up by media and probably happened a handful times or to people well connected?

About the contest. You (Edfury/Ronaldinho) say that even if you enter a few lines and win or get noticed. You still have to show something like a script. Since they specifically say you can submit something of 2 sentences or couple pages I wonder what will happen if that happens. Can you (DayJobWriter) or someone else maybe elaborate on that? Because that contest does caught my attention.

Other option is find someone who wants to team up and write an actual script. Is there somewhere (for example this forum, or some WGA forum?) where I can come in contact with screenwriters (with no ideas themselves )?

Comment

I see. So all those info about people who sold only a movie idea constituting of 2-3 lines is likely to be blown up by media and probably happened a handful times or to people well connected?
                        What info about people who sold a movie idea based on 2-3 lines? There might be an article that says "SO AND SO SELLS PITCH ABOUT BLAH BLAH BLAH." That doesn't mean that person walked into a room, stated a logline of 2-3 sentences and somebody bought that.

They gave the entire idea of the movie. What it was about. Characters. Themes. Etc. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7BrvTsslU

and again, these are by established writers

Comment

About the contest. You (Edfury/Ronaldinho) say that even if you enter a few lines and win or get noticed. You still have to show something like a script. Since they specifically say you can submit something of 2 sentences or couple pages I wonder what will happen if that happens. Can you (DayJobWriter) or someone else maybe elaborate on that? Because that contest does caught my attention.

Other option is find someone who wants to team up and write an actual script. Is there somewhere (for example this forum, or some WGA forum?) where I can come in contact with screenwriters (with no ideas themselves )?
                          Ok. First hand knowledge. I have sold a pitch. Sold it based on the fact that I would immediately write the script myself. Which I have. Now I'm on the first rewrite and it goes into production sometime in the middle of next year. This has only happened after a track record of successful work and good story ideas.

Would they have even considered a pitch from a writer they didn't know or didn't have any confidence in? Not on your life. NO ONE BUYS IDEAS. No one. You read an article about a pitch selling? It's about a writer who they know can execute the pitch. Period. And execute the pitch on a schedule. I had four weeks to write the first draft. Which they then sat on for ten months.

I can also tell you that the winners of the logline contest will be expected to have a script written or to write one. What you are looking for is a shortcut to getting your movie made. So, here's a brutal truth about this business. There are no short cuts. None. Zero. You have to put in the time and do the work to succeed. You can't count on anyone but yourself. And as far as getting a writer to write your idea, you'll have to pay one, because good writers have their own ideas. And if you find a writing partner, you'll have let that partner have as much say about the script as you do. And then you'll have to go through all the time consuming hoops it takes just to get a script noticed, yet alone optioned/sold.

This is a long term business. The average time from writing a script to production (if you're lucky enough to get it made) is eight years. Some are shorter. Some a lot longer. My pitch from the time I pitched it to the time it gets made, three years. On the shorter side. My other film that's getting made next year, twelve years since I wrote the first draft. You want to see your ideas made into films, do the work.

Comment

OP it's good you recognize you aren't a writer. It takes work. Years of work as EdFury said. And if I were you I'd look into becoming a producer, rather than a writer. Why? It can also be extremely difficult as well but maybe you have the skill set for it. Producers come up with ideas all the time and develop pitches with writers or employ writers using discretionary funds to spec the entire thing. Sometimes writers will even spec a producer's idea for free. A lot of writers, especially working writers, flat out won't do this. Like selling a pitch, it's most often reserved for producers with credits we'd all recognize, a stellar reputation, the encouragement of the writer's agency in some cases and definitely an idea the writer can't pass up. Just think of how much time the writer is risking.

My suggestion would be for you to look into what it takes to produce, both from a creative standpoint and also a financial standpoint, learning to acquire outside financing [private equity] by people who either want tax shelters lol or want to be involved in the feature film space, and then hiring a writer with those funds to either construct a pitch or spec out the idea. Be a good matchmaker. A good middleman. Once the script or pitch in some cases is finished, your production company can approach more talent [directors, actors] with real offers, money offers, and get them attached. Once you have a nice package of talent together, you can try to set it up at a mini-major or major studio. Or not.

Given your lack of experience, you might hit more than a few road blocks along the way. You most likely will have to start outside the Hollywood system. That's not easier mind you, but in that world, your budgets will be less threatening, something attainable. It has to be something that can be made for a certain amount, but have solid talent involved, a great story and enough production value that it would be picked up be a distributor. I'd look up all of your favorite independent films and see how those were started. That's a good place to start formulating a plan.

Hopefully you have a snapshot of what it's like for a writer, when people offer up ideas but never want to pay a writer to develop them. You can only imagine what that would be like if you tried it with your mechanic for instance lol.

Good luck with everything. Please follow up, I'm interested to see how you approach things from here.
                            Last edited by madworld; 11-16-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

And is it an option to team up with a (starting) scriptwriter? Hiring one to do a script is not an option since I don't have money enough to have someone do it for me.
                              Please reflect on the fact that you are asking someone to pay you for not writing, in pursuit of which you are proposing to not pay someone for actually writing.

Comment

Working...
                              X