Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Becoming a fake person?

Do you have any friends or connections who are not film-connected or aspiring? Because that would probably help. The kind of blustering that impresses recent film school grads isn't going to get much play with the little brother you used to take baths with when you were 4, you know?

The more you isolate yourself from the rest of the world, the more the social circle of up-and-comers and wannabes will become everything to you. So get out of there and make some other friends and try some other hobbies. Give it a rest for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
      You think Hollywood is fake? Try being a librarian. They're all phony.
      You think librarians are phony? Try being a switchboard operator.

THANKS, FOLKS! I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK! TRY THE VEAL!

Comment

Originally posted by BillG View Post
        You think librarians are phony? Try being a switchboard operator.

THANKS, FOLKS! I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK! TRY THE VEAL!

I just did twice... Was setting up for the Re-Veal...

Ohh! This keeps getting worse
        "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
        SUBTITLED
        Episode 1 (Beef pills)
        Episode 2 (African commercial)
        Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by shortfilmwriter View Post
          Depends on who you're talking to. You can be out and about, stopping by any coffee shop, and wanting to just hang out and have a good time. Unfortunately, 80% of everyone you encounter wants to tell you about what they "do" and the dialogue always has the subtext of their internal dialogue that screams "what if you know someone?"
          Yeah. Those jerks you meet at coffee shops that want to tell you what they "do." Trying to talk about "themselves."

Most of the people in that group were on the same page, but one of them went from having one ear in the conversation with the rest of their attention elsewhere to suddenly being interested. Eyes lit up, smile came to their face and they wanted to be my best friend (sorry, this sounds like horn tooting; please realize I at least aspire to not think too highly of myself).
          Another one of those people who love talking about what they "do." Wait. This is you. So it's fine.

So you're at a party, not particularly into any of the conversation, and you overhear someone say "I'm a reader for Bad Robot. You wouldn't believe all the crap I have to go over." What do you do? Walk away because starting a conversation is too "fake?"

This is not to say I think people should not be ambitious. Quite the contrary. Ambition though is exercised in your dedication to building your skillset. If it a conversation happens to result in work, then great, but that should not be your reason for talking to someone unless that context was implied from the beginning.
          Being able to excite people about you and your projects is one of the primary skill sets you need to move forward in this industry. Are you only going to get better at it if you only do it in pitch meetings? Do you know how much of this industry happens outside of an office?

I feel like you're trying to fight a battle against an enemy not present. I completely agree that if one does not like film, they should not be in the business. I am usually the one to say something similar. There are real, and there are exploitive people in film as there are everywhere. I am recognizing that I have become the kind of person I once observed as being inauthentic, and that I never wanted to become. I still want to be in the film industry, but I want to be a real person while doing so, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
          You started this thread because you were scared you were becoming one of those fake Hollywood people. Seems like you're trying to fight a battle against an enemy in your own mind. You love this industry. You want to make it your career. You are interested in meeting people who can help you. That's not fake. That's being a professional.

Comment

The only ****ing thing that matters is the work, write a ****ing script.

Please, we need more good ones.
            Genius sees everything.
            Genius sees.

Posey Mund.

Comment

Originally posted by Posey Mund View Post
              The only ****ing thing that matters is the work, write a ****ing script.

Please, we need more good ones.
              There's way more that matters than that. Otherwise you have a great ****ing script that sits on your desk.

Comment

Writer write. posers pose.

OP needs to decide what he wants to be.

All the hand wringing is great, but if it ain't on the page it isn't gonna be on your desk either.

Is it?
                Genius sees everything.
                Genius sees.

Posey Mund.

Comment

Originally posted by Posey Mund View Post
                  Writer write. posers pose.

OP needs to decide what he wants to be.

All the hand wringing is great, but if it ain't on the page it isn't gonna be on your desk either.

Is it?
                  You do have a point - your work will ultimately decide whether you are fake or not.

But people do have to be able to stomach you in the room too.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                    You do have a point - your work will ultimately decide whether you are fake or not.

But people do have to be able to stomach you in the room too.
                    That's me proper ****ed then.
                    Genius sees everything.
                    Genius sees.

Posey Mund.

Comment

The fake people tend to be the insecure ones. They don't understand why their scripts haven't gotten more traction and they can only conclude it's because they don't know the right people.

That's why they view every interaction as a potential "make or break" for their career. They somehow believe that "networking" is a magic bullet, and so they cast this wide net, trying to cozy up to someone, anyone, who can help their career.

The truth is, there IS a magic bullet to becoming a successful screenwriter. It's a simple three step process:
                      1. Write multiple scripts that progressively get better and better.
                      2. Stay the course for many, many years.
                      3. Don't be a complete weirdo.

If you follow those three steps, the networking will take care of itself. And if you stop worrying about the networking, then those three steps become much easier. Even if you send your scripts out to the world just through contests and queries, you'll begin to feel momentum.

And this isn't just for writers. I've seen the "fakeness" in producers, agents, and managers as well. The ones at the top tend to be very secure people. The ones at the bottom are always looking for shortcuts, trying to please others, and just seem fake.

Comment

Working...
                      X