Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short story sells for 7 figures

From reddit's no sleep site. This sold for 7 figures and the writer and his brother are writing the script from it.

I'm halfway through it; it's interesting so far. Since so much of it is just the main character inside his own head, as this is going on, not sure how they'll eventually fill it all out to make it feature length.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/com...the_mountains/

Saw it from scriptshadow http://scriptshadow.net/7-figure-sho...#disqus_thread
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-09-2020, 05:41 AM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Short story sells for 7 figures

We listed that deal on 7/24 on the main site under TV deals. It is quite a bit for a short story and script writing. I'm sure it helped quite a bit that 21 Laps and Atomic Monster are attached to produce as part of it all.

I also listed a deal in that same vein on the main site on 7/29 under film deals. It was clearly noted in the announcement that the seven figures was not just for the short story. It was for the entire package which includes Jordan Peele, Issa Rae and others.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

It's NOT a short story and I am perplexed that they keep calling it that. It's 42,000 words, making it a VERY LONG novella (which are usually between 17,500 - 40,000 words). I'd actually call it a short novel. In fact ALL THREE of the Reddit No Sleep sales have been long novellas (not short stories) -- all OVER 40,000 words.

I don't want to argue the merits (good or bad) of the stories themselves but the novella has become a really good way for REPPED writers to get their works on the auction block -- as a way of promoting what they conceive of as an original screenplay (or "hire me to write a screen version of my work!") based on an original IP that can both serve to establish a readership/fanbase AND take the place of a treatment, which virtually no prodco or studio will pay to have written these days. So, for the writer, it's win-win, but, keep in mind, the Query brothers ARE repped, have screen credits, and are not new to the prose world.

Besides the first out-of-the-park deal for an unknown writer (The Spire in the Woods, to Amblin, and also a novella in the 40,000 word range) to my knowledge there have been no further unknown-writer breakthroughs.

Savvy repped writers see the way the wind is blowing and those who have the prose chops (and not all do), know how to play the game.

I applaud them.

As I have a sizable readership in terms of my (top-selling) novels and (prize-winning) novellas, I regularly sell to the "screen world," not for seven-figures of course (not even close), but for WAY more $ than I EVER got for any of my screen or television work. Then there's the book sales too. I don't want to be crass but Ka-ching! Despite my LONG list of (minor) screen credits, am I ever going to be hired to adapt my own work. Noooooooo. And I'm finally okay with that. I'm not in the Query brothers' league, but then they are probably not ever going to be in my league in prose-fiction sales either.

Yeah, I follow this closely: I root for the screenwriter-generated original IP like a rabid home team football fan. Good on them.

Comment

Based on this my manager was like “just write this next idea as a short story” and I did it in two days. Was 4500 words. We’ll see. Out to most of the big horror places at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
          It's NOT a short story and I am perplexed that they keep calling it that. It's 42,000 words, making it a VERY LONG novella (which are usually between 17,500 - 40,000 words). I'd actually call it a short novel. In fact ALL THREE of the Reddit No Sleep sales have been long novellas (not short stories) -- all OVER 40,000 words.
          Good to know. I hadn't actually seen either one, in these two cases. Duly noted and also updated on the main site for both.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Satriales, have you sold/optioned any scripts yet? If yes, then you have already "broken in" and have the credentials to back you up so why the need to write a short story?

If you haven't sold anything, then I can see your manager suggesting writing the short novel as another route to break in.

I'm impressed you can write 4500 words in two days!

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
              Based on this my manager was like "just write this next idea as a short story- and I did it in two days. Was 4500 words. We'll see. Out to most of the big horror places at the moment.
              Interesting. Especially since I'm working on a longish novella. I can do short stories. Prose fiction was where I started.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
                Satriales, have you sold/optioned any scripts yet? If yes, then you have already "broken in" and have the credentials to back you up so why the need to write a short story?

If you haven't sold anything, then I can see your manager suggesting writing the short novel as another route to break in.

I'm impressed you can write 4500 words in two days!
                I’m in a weird in between space without a flashy spec sale but I’d consider myself broken in. People know what I’ve written and I have optioned stuff and am working with studio heads turned producers.

Your question is basically “why are you trying to sell a pitch rather than writing a spec?” I mean, it was two days of work and saves me from having to do fifteen Zoom pitches. Shorts are selling- in addition to this one Monkeypaw set one up SINKHOLE at Uni. And double dipping on story and adapting...well, the benefits are obvious there, right?

Comment

Satriales, got it... makes sense now.

Also, how do you or your mgr. get the short out to industry folks? Did you get it posted somewhere online and sent a link out in an email pitch or do you send the actual short out as an attachment (probably not, right)?

Regardless, good luck with it. Like to see people get rewarded for their work.

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
                    Satriales, got it... makes sense now.

Also, how do you or your mgr. get the short out to industry folks? Did you get it posted somewhere online and sent a link out in an email pitch or do you send the actual short out as an attachment (probably not, right)?

Regardless, good luck with it. Like to see people get rewarded for their work.
                    Same as anything - he calls them up, pitches them on it, he sends the pdf if they want to read.

Thank you, appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                      Same as anything - he calls them up, pitches them on it, he sends the pdf if they want to read.

Thank you, appreciate it!
                      If you don't mind sharing, what was the genre/basic idea? Been thinking of doing this, though my prose isn't on par with my screenwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                        From reddit's no sleep site. This sold for 7 figures and the writer and his brother are writing the script from it.

I'm halfway through it; it's interesting so far. Since so much of it is just the main character inside his own head, as this is going on, not sure how they'll eventually fill it all out to make it feature length.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/com...the_mountains/

Saw it from scriptshadow http://scriptshadow.net/7-figure-sho...#disqus_thread
                        I've only read Part I and Part II.

The story uses the curiously effective device of forewarning us exactly of the horrors to come. Initially, I thought that's rather original, but then I suppose it's somewhat similar to Marley's ghost warning Scrooge of the three spirits that come later in "A Christmas Carol".

What is strange is that the casual "title" and the relaxed first sentence negate any stakes from the outset.

My wife and I bought a ranch in the mountains last year, and my neighbor had some interesting suggestions on how to manage our new land

My wife Sasha and I have owned a small ranch since last Spring, so we've now experienced all four seasons here. What follows is the story about why this place is... special.
                        Clearly, the protagonist and his wife survived the four seasons, and he doesn't seem at all fazed by what he went through. So why should we bother to read the story, or watch the movie?
                        Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                        "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                          If you don't mind sharing, what was the genre/basic idea? Been thinking of doing this, though my prose isn't on par with my screenwriting.
                          Told my manager I hadn't written prose since college nearly 20 years ago and that I suck at it. He told me "Nah, your outlines are good.- So I wrote it. Thriller. Maybe grounded horror, I guess? I'll PM the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post

Clearly, the protagonist and his wife survived the four seasons, and he doesn't seem at all fazed by what he went through. So why should we bother to read the story, or watch the movie?
                            I finished reading it last night. I think the movie won't use the story's setup where you already know they're okay. I liked the writing's conversational feel and first person POV, and his former military outlook, that all felt true.

Still unsure why the first three horrors were there at all, when it only seemed to be about the last one, once its all done.

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post

The story uses the curiously effective device of forewarning us exactly of the horrors to come. Initially, I thought that's rather original, but then I suppose it's somewhat similar to Marley's ghost warning Scrooge of the three spirits that come later in "A Christmas Carol".

What is strange is that the casual "title" and the relaxed first sentence negate any stakes from the outset.

I'd argue that the opening is very short story-ish almost to the point of trope.

Comment

Working...
                              X