No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Jeremynt View Post
    It doesn't happen yet but an email reminder would be a great feature to include. Right now, I guess the best way of knowing would be to remember your sign-up anniversary date.
    It might get a little confusing if you suspend hosting for a script. The anniversary date will change.
    All the best,
    Lee

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

This is a very informative thread. I haven't got a script up yet on the BL site but I'm seriously considering it. Seems like a good opportunity.

And since I'm not a member yet I only see the generic page. I don't know exactly what members see. A couple of Qs for anyone who can answer...

1) Am I right to assume I have to pay the fee & upload a script before I can see other writers' details regarding their scripts (& other stuff)? Say I wanted to see info on Kremer's MCCARTHY... I can do that once I pay for at least 1 mo, right?

2) And once I pay the monthly hosting fee I can only see all the good stuff (the search feature, lists, info on other writers' scripts, etc) for that period of time. If I don't re-up, I get kicked off the site & no longer have access to pgs mentioned above. Is that right?

Sorry if this has been covered before. Just wanna make sure I have it right in my head.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, Franklin!

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by kenklmn View Post
        Rating screenplays is not an exact science. The standard deviation gives you an idea of the agreement between reviewers. Franklin Leonard has stated that the standard deviation is about 1.8

What this means: there is about a 68% chance that a script's rating is within 1 standard deviation (plus or minus) of what it should be. There is a ninety-something percent chance that it is rated within two standard deviations of what it should be. And so on.
        I'm no statistic major but I bluff my way through them with the whiff of an expert for my day job.

However Franklin's tweets on the mean and SD had me thinking.

First, is his sample pool biased. I read somewhere that when people pull their script because of their low rating (say sub 3) they disappear from the population. Thus leaving only the higher scores and a skew to the right. This seems to be borne out by the distribution shown on the dashboard.

Secondly, even if the numbers weren't skewed, I'm not sure what the mean and SD tells me about the population. Presumably, a higher number touts to BL3 industry professionals the quality of the submissions.

But what about the SD? Does a lower number here refer to (i) the variance between multiple scores on the same script (IMHO useful as it shows that the script is getting consistent scores) or (ii) the variance of all the scores in the BD3 population (not sure what this proves except the character of the distribution).
        Last edited by EtoileBrilliant; 12-09-2012, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Franklin, how much advance notice will we have for TV pilot hosting?

Will we know the start date in advance? Also, will the reading fees for pilots be the same as features?

And along the lines of Concord's question: what about hosting the first part/hour of a TV miniseries (like the HATFIELD'S AND MCCOYS).
          Last edited by JoJo; 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM.
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Franklin,

Regarding the upcoming TV section, will it just be pilots or "movie of the week" type scripts as well?

I've got a feature script that I've been told would best fit a Lifetime or Hallmark-type channel. Would the BlackList TV section be an appropriate place to host/promote it?

Comment

How does one go about suspending having one's script hosted for awhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
                Joan, it's on the my scripts-dashboard-review page, all the way on the bottom.
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
                  I don't have access right now so I can't tell you the exact wording, but the checkbox for suspending is at the bottom of the page for your specific script.

Comment

Do you find it ironic that the first Black List 3.0 script to find success is McCarthy?

Comment

Do you find it ironic that the first Black List 3.0 script to find success is McCarthy?

Was waiting for someone to point that out! Talk about a reinforcing subliminal message... anyone who hears or reads about McCarthy gets Black List in the same data input; that's like a built in marketing strategy!

Comment

Originally posted by EtoileBrilliant View Post
                        I'm no statistic major but I bluff my way through them with the whiff of an expert for my day job.

However Franklin's tweets on the mean and SD had me thinking.

First, is his sample pool biased. I read somewhere that when people pull their script because of their low rating (say sub 3) they disappear from the population. Thus leaving only the higher scores and a skew to the right. This seems to be borne out by the distribution shown on the dashboard.

Secondly, even if the numbers weren't skewed, I'm not sure what the mean and SD tells me about the population. Presumably, a higher number touts to BL3 industry professionals the quality of the submissions.

But what about the SD? Does a lower number here refer to (i) the variance between multiple scores on the same script (IMHO useful as it shows that the script is getting consistent scores) or (ii) the variance of all the scores in the BD3 population (not sure what this proves except the character of the distribution).
                        Though the scripts may be pulled, the ratings are not. The distribution shown on the dashboard represents all ratings of all scripts, uploaded and not, professional and not, thus the skew. A better representation of the data for uploaded scripts (at least through the first month) is available here. We cover the variance of ratings on the same script there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                          Franklin, how much advance notice will we have for TV pilot hosting?

Will we know the start date in advance? Also, will the reading fees for pilots be the same as features?

And along the lines of Concord's question: what about hosting the first part/hour of a TV miniseries (like the HATFIELD'S AND MCCOYS).
                          You'll probably have at least a week's notice re: the TV pilot hosting. Still working out the details on that, including reading fees etc.

As for what kind of material will be accepted, single script entities are best served via our feature screenplay site. Episodic entities (e.g. TV pilots and the first episodes of TV miniseries) will be best served by what we're launching in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by Concord View Post
                            Franklin,

Regarding the upcoming TV section, will it just be pilots or "movie of the week" type scripts as well?

I've got a feature script that I've been told would best fit a Lifetime or Hallmark-type channel. Would the BlackList TV section be an appropriate place to host/promote it?
                            See my above comment to JoJo.

Comment

Supremely. I thought it was an elaborate practical joke when I first saw that it had been rated highly. Then I read the script and it was obvious that it was real.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                                You'll probably have at least a week's notice re: the TV pilot hosting. Still working out the details on that, including reading fees etc.

As for what kind of material will be accepted, single script entities are best served via our feature screenplay site. Episodic entities (e.g. TV pilots and the first episodes of TV miniseries) will be best served by what we're launching in the new year.
                                Awesome! Glad to hear contained series can be hosted as well!
                                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Working...
                                X