What advice would you give to the "I only wanna write treatments not scripts" writer?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What advice would you give to the "I only wanna write treatments not scripts" writer?

How far can a person with no track record or connections get with only writing synopsis's and treatments?
    Last edited by Juno Styles; 07-03-2016, 07:20 PM.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: What advice would you give to the

You say, "I wish you well on all your future endeavors" and then move on because those people are going nowhere.

Comment

Writing only treatments does nothing for one's writing career. All it does is present one single project in the laziest possible way. And if a company likes it, they'll ask for a sample. If the person doesn't have one, that's the end of the conversation. No meetings will come of writing only treatments (What exec ever says "We're so passionate about the writing in your treatment, we have to find something to do with you..."). It's ridiculous. A screenwriter too lazy to write screenplays should consider a career change.
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

If I remember correctly, David Freeman was also known for doing treatments for hire, among other things. But he came up in a time (90s) when you could sell ideas and pitches and not have to be uber-connected (and has since gone on to many other things).

Comment

Re: What advice would you give to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOvmRSYeSJY

Just smile and wave, boys.

Comment

That is my buddy [day job type]. He'll never do anything.

But he's simply confused/delusional, however, it's based on his buddy. He says "Well ____ does it. Can't I just get a meeting, I have rad ideas." To which I say, "okay, but ____ is a successful ____ who has years of experience and is widely known for his work. AND brings millions of fans to the table. AND he hasn't done that in years. Nowadays he needs proof of concept to sell things. Which he does all the work on. So, no, he's not doing it the way he used to. That died in the mid 2000's."

My response would be simple: "You're fvcking high, brah. Peace."
            DOPE CITY

Comment

Re: What advice would you gi

When's the next one coming out? I'm a penguin head

Comment

Re: What advice would you give to

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                This is absolutely the correct answer.

Comment

The "idea guy."

This used to exist. It's how Brian Grazer started out, for example. But it's extinct now. Studios have trimmed expenditures and don't pay people to sit in an office and throw s*** at the wall anymore.

I suppose you could argue that development deals are essentially the continuation of this. But people with no track record or connections do not get development deals.

Comment

What advice would you give to the

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                    How far can a person with no track record or connections get with only writing synopsis's and treatments? I have been meeting a lot of people lately who are convinced they can break in with a treatment or synopsis. These people have never written a screenplay before. It's been about 4 people this month who've either debated me about this or just convinced this will launch a career.

Am I missing something? Has something changed in the industry? How far can someone go with a treatment and no script?
                    They can go very far - as producers.

They can't write, so they hire someone who can write to execute their ideas. Since they can't bring a script to the table, they have to bring something else - money, connections, sweat equity, charm.
                    If you really like it you can have the rights
                    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

That's like a firefighter pissing on a fire instead of doing the actual work and dragging out the hose.

Comment

I actually showed the guy this threads comments and gave him some more insight on how things generally work and he's now motivated to start trying to write screenplays
                        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Re: What advice would you

our job here is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                            How far can a person with no track record or connections get with only writing synopsis's and treatments?
                            Tell them they would have a wonderful career as a studio executive - take all the credit and blame for doing... not a whole lot

Comment

Originally posted by redturtle View Post
                              Tell them they would have a wonderful career as a studio executive - take all the credit and blame for doing... not a whole lot
                              Did you mean take all the credit and "no" blame though? lol

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                              X