Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format at FADE IN

The script begins in King's Auditorium in London where a band is playing the Beatle's music to an audience but I want us to first focus on three posters on the wall. The music and crowd noise are important also. Then we pull back to see what's happening. How should I format this?

Thanks.

Option 1

FADE IN:

CLOSE ON THREE POSTERS on the wall. The first depicts a sunny scene of the English countryside, the second is of some animals on a farm and the last is of the serene Atlantic ocean at sun rise.

In the background we hear the Beatles' HEY JUDE with people's soft voices singing along.

INT. LONDON - KING'S AUDITORIUM - NIGHT

We PULL BACK to see a band playing on stage with the audience humming and singing along.

Option 2

FADE IN:

INT. LONDON - KING'S AUDITORIUM - NIGHT

CLOSE ON THREE POSTERS on the wall. The first depicts a sunny scene of the English countryside, the second is of some animals on a farm and the last is of the serene Atlantic ocean at sun rise.

In the background we hear the Beatles' HEY JUDE with people's soft voices singing along.

We PULL BACK to see a band playing on stage with the audience humming and singing along.

Re: Format at FADE IN

Option 1:

OVER BLACK: A band plays the Beatles’ HEY JUDE. An audience softly hums and sings along.

FADE IN:

INT. KING'S AUDITORIUM, LONDON — NIGHT

THREE POSTERS dominate a wall. The first poster depicts a sunny scene of the English countryside. The second poster depicts animals on a farm. The third poster depicts a serene sunrise over the Atlantic ocean.

The band plays HEY JUDE. The audience softly hums and sings along.

Option 2:

FADE IN:

INT. KING’S AUDITORIUM, LONDON — NIGHT

THREE POSTERS dominate a wall as a band plays the Beatles’ HEY JUDE while an audience softly hums and sings along.

The first poster depicts a sunny scene of the English countryside. The second poster depicts animals on a farm. The third poster depicts a serene sunrise over the Atlantic ocean.

The band continues to play HEY JUDE as the audience continues to softly hum and sing along.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-22-2018, 09:12 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Well, following your own three suggestions, you're going to get 30 more, don't you know.

A scene heading is to establish the location and time. So personally I always follow that with at least a one-line description paragraph before I do the CLOSE-ON (I use CLOSE-UP for animate things, INSERT for inanimate, but that's another story). Then I come back to the main scene with ANGLE ON, as opposed to PULL BACK, or PAN or any other camera directions.

Incidentally, don't you use "b.g." for background? Whatever.

I won't get into your use of a specific music selection, especially on page one like this. It's possible that you might get away with it on page 30 after you'd established what a great script and story was under way; but right up front? Whatever.

I can't see anybody tossing a script for any of your versions, because with barely any intellectual work one can understand what you're getting at.

So you see? There's one down. Twenty-nine more to come.

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick, and thoughtful, responses.

Comment

OVER BLACK: People softly hum and sing along to the Beatles' HEY JUDE.

FADE IN:

INT. KING'S AUDITORIUM, LONDON - NIGHT

Three posters hang on the wall. The first depicts a sunny scene of the English countryside. The second, animals on a farm. The third is a serene sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean.

On the stage a band continues to play HEY JUDE.
          "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
          - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

I wonder if PRE-LAP can be used for sound that comes before the FADE IN: or if it's only to be used at the very end of a preceding scene?

I'm not sure how some of the audience can be heard "humming" when the audience is also singing-a-long and the band is playing. How about LAAAAA-LAAA-LAAA-LALA-LAAAAAing?

What are the three 'posters' for, exactly? If a poster has no promotional or advertisement wording then is it not just a print of a picture? Also, I think it would be good to describe the wall that the posters are on to help convey the type of venue.

Here's how I might handle that opening scene:

A CROWD SINGS ALONG to a live rock band's passable rendition
            of HEY JUDE by The Beatles.

FADE IN:

INT. KING'S AUDITORIUM - LONDON - NIGHT

In perspex frames on florid flock wallpaper hang 3 POSTERS --
            -- quaint countryside invites us to "ENJOY BRITAIN'S BEAUTY"
            -- some cute farm animals offer us "THE GREAT OUTDOORS"
            -- an ocean sunset suggests we "COME TO THE COAST"

On an adjacent stage, the four-piece band of old rockers
            continues to play HEY JUDE for its nostalgic audience.
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
            X