Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 AM   #21
TheConnorNoden

Default Re: Oscars

Quote:
Originally Posted by entlassen View Post
Aside from what's been mentioned already, there's also a lack of directors who have any kind of unique thematic stamp. Nolan is pretty much the only mainstream one who has a particular perspective on the world that you see in all his films, and he's very hit-and-miss.

Not to put too much emphasis on the auteur theory, but where are the ambitious filmmakers? Where are the new Camerons or Lucases?
I see "from visionary Guillermo del Toro" in all his movies' trailers, but what on earth did he ever make that was visionary or had a huge cultural impact? "From visionary director" now means "uses lots of CGI" to me.

Even original indie thrillers like Cop Car seem rote and half-developed, like the filmmakers just had an idea, shot it, and hoped it turned out watchable. Screenplays need to be thought out. You can't just have an idea and film it.

Maybe it's down to simple cultural illiteracy. We're now almost an entirely visual cultural, and ironically, films have suffered because they need to be written first. Illiterate cultures really don't produce worthy art, or even entertainment.
...I'm suckered back in.

The new Cameron or Lucas is Denis Villeneuve. He nailed Blade Runner 2049 after the hot streak of Prisoners, Sicario and arrival. He'll go on to do some amazing blockbusters that will have his stamp on.

As for del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth alone sets him apart as a visionary director.

Apart from that I think everything else you said was trash as well.

Here are some directors that are still active who I would class as auteurs.

Paul Thomas Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Quentin Tarantino, Denis Villeneuve, Guillermo del Toro, Christopher Nolan, The Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, Alexander Payne, Lynne Ramsay, Harmony Korine, Spike Lee, Kenneth Lonergan, Richard Linklater, David Fincher, Spike Jonze, Sofia Coppola, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Charlie Kaufman, Edgar Wright, Martin McDonagh, Kathryn Bigelow, Yorgos Lanthimos, Steven Soderbergh, Hayao Miyazaki, Pedro Almodovar, Michael Haneke, Steve McQueen, Sean Baker, Damien Chazelle.

To name a few.

In the coming years Jordan Peele, Greta Gerwig and Taylor Sheridan will go on to do films that are uniquely them. You could argue against any of the above but I think you can put any of their movies on and know who directed it.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #22
Takeshiro
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
...I'm suckered back in.

The new Cameron or Lucas is Denis Villeneuve. He nailed Blade Runner 2049 after the hot streak of Prisoners, Sicario and arrival. He'll go on to do some amazing blockbusters that will have his stamp on.

As for del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth alone sets him apart as a visionary director.

Apart from that I think everything else you said was trash as well.

Here are some directors that are still active who I would class as auteurs.

Paul Thomas Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Quentin Tarantino, Denis Villeneuve, Guillermo del Toro, Christopher Nolan, The Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, Alexander Payne, Lynne Ramsay, Harmony Korine, Spike Lee, Kenneth Lonergan, Richard Linklater, David Fincher, Spike Jonze, Sofia Coppola, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Charlie Kaufman, Edgar Wright, Martin McDonagh, Kathryn Bigelow, Yorgos Lanthimos, Steven Soderbergh, Hayao Miyazaki, Pedro Almodovar, Michael Haneke, Steve McQueen, Sean Baker, Damien Chazelle.

To name a few.

In the coming years Jordan Peele, Greta Gerwig and Taylor Sheridan will go on to do films that are uniquely them. You could argue against any of the above but I think you can put any of their movies on and know who directed it.
Denis Villeneuve is nowhere near Lucas or Cameron. Nowhere. Most of his films are flavor of the year that are forgotten, since it lacks of style, flair, identity. It pushes no boundaries in storytelling or in movie making. To me, he's the perfect example of lower standard. Meh story, Meh Acting, Meh Directing - but great cinematography, thanks to Roger D. Look around the internet, look at which movies are quoted by "regular folks", look which movies are spoofed by others. Villeneuve is nobody. Even James Cameron weakest effort -Avatar- still has a place in the unconscious mind. You won't see that from Villeneuve, who, In my opinion, peaked with Incendies, which was a more than okay film.

I'm onboard saying that Del Toro has his own favorite style, which didn't evolve since Chronos. It's weakest effort, Jeunet's PG14 Splash, his the one who received the Award. But you got this right, he likes Gothic things.

Jordan Peel has no style as a director -neither as the writer. Yeah, he's black, that's the only thing he has going on for him. Horror didn't wait for him to have strong message behind a story (hello Romero), to tackle heavy subject (the Outer Limit). Gerwin is doing the same indie shtick that exist since the 90s , pace wise, directing wise, writing wise.

That's really a mixed bag. PTA, the Coen, Del Toro, Wes, Payne, Linklater etc... are 90s filmmaker, not exactly current gen or 2000s gen filmmakers. Miyazaki-Sensei, Pedro, Haneke, Lee are even older. In the "new batch", I'm not sure they will all be remembered as Spielbergs, Coppolas and Lucas.

But to me, it isn't all dark. We're in the dark age, good time will good, as it did in the 70s, 90s, we're just a little behind. Good things will come, with great films, new voices. We just have to wait, hope, and see.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #23
kintnerboy

I'm going to go back to my music business analogy for a minute and offer a bit of speculation about the future (and this post is not meant to be negative or doom and gloom in any way. Just how I see things coming to pass).

Hollywood probably has a fixed amount of time left (I'm not a tech guy, so I don't want to guess how long. Certainly years, but not decades) as an industry that generates multi-billion dollar revenue on a consistent basis before virtual reality supplants it as the primary narrative-based leisure time activity in the world.

Virtual reality is going to do to Hollywood what karaoke did to the bar band business. Why go to see a show, when you can be the show?

The idea of a 'movie star' will become as outdated as Robert Plant prancing around on a stadium stage with a stuffed crotch.

In another twist of irony, what's going on in Hollywood right now (re: lawsuits and production losses due to bad behavior) is going to SPEED UP this transition. What's viewed as 'progress' right now, will be looked back on as a harbinger of the end. Human beings have proven themselves to be an unaccountable liability, and they will be happily (and profitably) replaced with cgi avatars.

20th Century Fox's decision to get out of the film business might be looked back on as one of the most prescient corporate decisions of all time.

The good news is, even though there will likely never be another Casablanca or Chinatown or Apocalypse Now, we will always have them. Just like we'll always have The Beatles and Motown. Great work never goes away.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #24
kintnerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
Just a quick observation about these guys (and obviously Cameron and Lucas).

Almost every single one of them has a pretty great story about the struggle they went through to get their first films made. I'll bet you already know a bunch of them by heart, because they are so epic. I'll even through Kevin Smith in there, because I'm feeling generous.

Those struggles are what forged the artists and made them who they are. The digital revolution was supposed to make everything easier, and it has, but now it's TOO easy. Without the struggle how do you know what matters?
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
TheConnorNoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
Just a quick observation about these guys (and obviously Cameron and Lucas).

Almost every single one of them has a pretty great story about the struggle they went through to get their first films made. I'll bet you already know a bunch of them by heart, because they are so epic. I'll even through Kevin Smith in there, because I'm feeling generous.

Those struggles are what forged the artists and made them who they are. The digital revolution was supposed to make everything easier, and it has, but now it's TOO easy. Without the struggle how do you know what matters?
I wanted to throw Kevin Smith in too. When I was a teenager I wrote an essay on why Kevin Smith is an auteur and I stand by that. I told a story once on here about meeting him and the inspiration he provided coming from a working class background. Point is I'm glad he survived the heart attack because I want to meet him again someday, hopefully when I've reached some of my goals.

I'm 25 and I understand the notion of millennials not having quite the same struggles. And I agree. But I would argue that the lack of struggle is our struggle. You brought up music before and I think that's another art affected by this. Poor kids used to have nothing to do but save up for a guitar and play until there was blood. Now? There's a slew of streaming options and cheap video games to shut out that voice that says "You have something better to do". It's easy to get complacent. And then there's the fact that with the rise of the internet everyone has a voice now. It's harder than ever for your voice to be distinguishable from the rest. But that makes me think that those special voices will work harder than anyone to make themselves heard and it will lead to some special work. I work full time and have a girlfriend with mental health issues which makes me time difficult. Naturally it can be a stressful life and I would love nothing more than to sit downstairs and play Shadow of the Colossus. But I'm here at the keyboard, spending every free moment writing. I believe in what I have to say enough to potentially waste my life on a dream when I could be enjoying life. I'm not the only one. The great storytellers of tomorrow are hard at work trying to cut through all the noise. They will all struggle in their own way. They will succeed in time too, you just have to keep an eye out.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote