Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about WriterSolo

I notice there is no log in necessary, so I'm wondering how the site is able to recognize me to give me my scripts and customizations. Is it IP, cookie, what?

EDIT: And another question, when I click "new project" nothing happens. Does "new project" work for you folks?
    Last edited by Dimitri001; 05-04-2020, 11:05 AM.

Re: Question about WriterSolo

Don't know. Never used it. When you're able to, buy and use Fade In.

Fade In exports its .fadein files as Final Draft, Scrivener, Fountain, Rich Text, Ebook, Formatted Text, Unformatted Text, XML, and Avid Script-Based Editing.

Fade In has everything you'll ever need to write a screenplay.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Checked out WriterSolo. Yes, “New Project” worked for me without paying anything.

You asked: “I notice there is no log in necessary, so I'm wondering how the site is able to recognize me to give me my scripts and customizations. Is it IP, cookie, what?”

WriterSolo’s introductory page states: “WriterSolo works in your browser and can open/save files on your computer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and iCloud.” Make of that what you will about how the site recognizes you and your site settings.

This program is owned by WriterDuet. There’s WriterSolo (from free to pay-what-you-want), WriterDuet plus (@ $5 month), WriterDuet pro (@$7.50 month), and WriterDuet premium (@ $10 month). Here’s a link to technical information to get you started on looking up answers to all of your questions about WriterSolo: WriterDuet Support

(this information was super easy to find; as usual, it only took a simple Google search to answer your questions)

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        Checked out WriterSolo. Yes, "New Project- worked for me without paying anything.

You asked: "I notice there is no log in necessary, so I'm wondering how the site is able to recognize me to give me my scripts and customizations. Is it IP, cookie, what?-

WriterSolo's introductory page states: "WriterSolo works in your browser and can open/save files on your computer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and iCloud.- Make of that what you will about how the site recognizes you and your site settings.

This program is owned by WriterDuet. There's WriterSolo (from free to pay-what-you-want), WriterDuet plus (@ $5 month), WriterDuet pro (@$7.50 month), and WriterDuet premium (@ $10 month). Here's a link to technical information to get you started on looking up answers to all of your questions about WriterSolo: WriterDuet Support

(this information was super easy to find; as usual, it only took a simple Google search to answer your questions)

#1 You answered about 10 questions I didn't ask

#2 I'd love to know how Google could have answered this question

And another question, when I click "new project" nothing happens. Does "new project" work for you folks?

"WriterSolo works in your browser and can open/save files on your computer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and iCloud.- Make of that what you will about how the site recognizes you and your site settings.

This bears in no way on how WS can recognize me, because in order for it to know what my Dropbox or GD or iC accounts are, I must first tell it, and it is able to recognize me before I tell it that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
          #1 You answered about 10 questions I didn't ask
          That’s for the benefit of others new to screenwriting who are here to read threads and who, like you, might want to try WriterSolo because it’s free but know nothing about it.

#2 I'd love to know how Google could have answered this question
          Like Amazon’s Alexa; just ask it in your Search Bar. Keyword variations will bring up different results.

This bears in no way on how WS can recognize me, because in order for it to know what my Dropbox or GD or iC accounts are, I must first tell it, and it is able to recognize me before I tell it that.
          WriterSolo knows your computer by its IP address. Have you tried to use WriterSolo to find your saved projects or work from another computer or device to see what happens?

With the wide variety of screenwriting programs available, especially the free ones, most people will try them and discover their advantages and pitfalls for themselves. What features one person finds agreeable in a program may not be desirable to another.

A lot of people like Celtx. After the free ones, cost becomes a factor for screenwriting program seekers. I prefer Fade In because of its cost, free updates, and it exports to the latest Final Draft file format.

All of these subjects are things one can look up and research on one’s own with very little effort through Internet searches. This is also true of basic screenplay formatting and other screenwriting information, too.

Marry that with reading books on screenwriting (two of which I have suggested to you by name in another thread, but there are many others; refer to that thread), do some Internet reading on the subject of screenwriting, and, especially, read professionally produced scripts, and you’ll become an autodidact on screenwriting. Good luck.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-06-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I do not know what the deal is with Celtx these days. Many years ago it was free to use. I found it to be a very clumsy program.

Then Celtx adopted some kind of payment policy. Whether Celtx still offers a free version, I do not know. But I would not advise you to use it in any case.

A lot of people once used a freeware program called Trelby, which I thought had some real promise. Unfortunately, the people involved in its development abandoned it, and it never became Unicode-compliant.

If you have a high-quality word processor, you can create or download a template for screenplays. You can then associate the element (style) types with keystroke combinations of your choice (like ALT+A for Action; ALT+C for Character). The only significant limitation is that you cannot do automatic Character continueds and bottom-of-page MORE/continueds. But you can set the styles up so that you do not have a separation of a Character name from the first line of Dialogue that follows.

Having said all of that, I am now going to give you some solid advice.

Get a real screenwriting program. Save your money by not buying the Trottier book and various other screenwriting books (yes, I bought them, too, years ago, but do not waste your money on them). You can get all the information that you need by looking online. Or you can ask questions here.

So save your money and buy Fade In. I think it is $80 now, which is much cheaper than FinalDraft (FD). Yes, I know that FD is the dominant player, but I also know that many professionals use Fade In. And I also know that Fade In can import and export standard FD .fdx files with excellent results. I have taken scripts sent to me in .fdx, imported into Fade In, and later exported them back to .fdx. I do not remember ever having any problem doing that. Also, Fade In lets you buy one license and use the program on your various personal computers. And you get free updates.

Best wishes!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Since we're name-checking other screenwriting programs, I've used Movie Magic Screenwriter for over a decade, it's super excellent.

I switched to a new laptop in January and had been wondering if I could re-install MM2000, since MMv6 is the current version. I found MM2K on the website, downloaded and installed this and supplied my license key, and hey presto I'm back in business, I'm mighty pleased with this.

Comment

Always stick with what you are happy with!

I was actually a beta tester on Screenwriter 6. The people running development were really nice.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I notice there is no log in necessary, so I'm wondering how the site is able to recognize me to give me my scripts and customizations. Is it IP, cookie, what?
                  No storage on WriterSolo's (or WriterDuet's) "cloud." And no collaboration features. WriterSolo was originally intended to be a companion application to WriterDuet, one you can download and install on your local computer so you can work offline. Now it's also being used as a free promotion with the hopes that you will buy WriterDuet's service. You can still install on your local computer and save to either an external cloud storage (like DropBox) or your local computer — but NOT to WriterDuet's Cloud.

EDIT: And another question, when I click "new project" nothing happens. Does "new project" work for you folks?
                  I don't have that problem (either online or downloaded to my computer). Have you tried more than one browser? WriterSolo won't work in Pale Moon for me, I have to use Firefox for it. (Chrome also works, but I don't use Chrome.)

EDIT: I see my information is redundant. Sorry.
                  STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                  X