Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Dixon
User

Default Final Draft question - indenting

How do you indent a block of text?

I'm trying to indent a three- or four-line section of text that I want to be superimposed on the screen at the very beginning, almost like dialogue but without the character's name.

One source from google suggested blocking the text and then changing the margins. This works except for the first line, which remains aligned with the left margin. I'm using FD9.

Any thoughts?

~Dixon
Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
60WordsPerHour
Regular

Default Re: Final Draft question - indenting

AFAIK you have to use the spacebar or do it in a pretty kludgy way:

http://kb.finaldraft.com/article/1001/1281/

And in 9 there's a different method to get a new macro.

EDIT: sorry, didn't read properly. Easiest way to do it is to turn on the ruler and drag the square to where you want that block of text to indent.

Last edited by 60WordsPerHour : 03-19-2015 at 04:44 PM.
60WordsPerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Dixon
User

Thanks for the link and info. Just figured out you can also include the text as dialogue without a character's name. Basically accomplishes the same goal.

~Dixon
Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Manchester

BTW, one good thing in FD is the ability to create custom format "Elements", which apply your custom settings to a block of text.

IOW, just as you can select a block that's currently labeled "Action" and change it to "Dialogue", you can change "Action" to "my_custom_1".

To create one, click Format | Elements | New, then create the settings (e.g. left margin) that you want.
Manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
How do you indent a block of text?

I'm trying to indent a three- or four-line section of text that I want to be superimposed on the screen at the very beginning, almost like dialogue but without the character's name.

One source from google suggested blocking the text and then changing the margins. This works except for the first line, which remains aligned with the left margin. I'm using FD9.

Any thoughts?

~Dixon
If you strike a key, say the letter A, then space bar to where you want and type the text, then go back to the letter A and delete it. Then you can move it left or right by using the spacebar or the delete key to place it exactly where it looks best.

I've found that sometimes the character element isn't in the optimum place for the size of text. It's quick and easy to adjust.
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
LateNightWriter

If you just want to post something with hard returns in FD, let's say lines of a poem or a quote, either in dialogue or action lines, there's a basic low-tech way.

Just start typing where you want the line to begin (or tab to it), and where you want the hard return, hit Shift + Enter.

I have a musical script where I needed song lyrics in the dialogue element, and I did it this way. But it can work for any kind of quote or block of text.

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote