Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
melissafield
New User

Default Scripts about a famous historical figure

Hello all -
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on writing a biographical script? I know these types of movies were a trend for awhile, with Troy and Alexender coming to mind. But I haven't seen any for awhile.

I think my big fear is that these types of movies are big budget and I'm not established enough to do that kind of writing. Or does that not matter? I mean a good script is a good script, but does that go out the window when you're unknown and pitching something of a tent pole nature?

Any thoughts or insights would be most helpful! Thank you.
melissafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
DangoForth

Default Re: Scripts about a famous historical figure

These can be (and are) written and shot for lower budgets. Concentrate on the personal narrative, not the events themselves.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
melissafield
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangoForth View Post
These can be (and are) written and shot for lower budgets. Concentrate on the personal narrative, not the events themselves.
Thank you, that's very reassuring because that's what I'm going for with the one I'm working on. I'm about 45 pages into it and going to keep at it!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Staircaseghost
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafield View Post
Hello all -
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on writing a biographical script? I know these types of movies were a trend for awhile, with Troy and Alexender coming to mind.
To the best of my recollection, Troy contains no historical figures.

Quote:
I think my big fear is that these types of movies are big budget and I'm not established enough to do that kind of writing.
Eh? In the last two years, we've had American Sniper, Selma, Unbroken, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, Straight Outta Compton, Steve Jobs, Pawn Sacrifice, and Trumbo. I don't think any of those was more than $50 or $60 million.

Regardless, unless you're planning on making this yourself, budget means nothing, since it almost certainly will never get made. Go nuts. Crash the Moon into Canada and have a million CGI para-demons jump out of it, if that's what you think would make a fun movie.
Staircaseghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
melissafield
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staircaseghost View Post
Regardless, unless you're planning on making this yourself, budget means nothing, since it almost certainly will never get made. Go nuts. Crash the Moon into Canada and have a million CGI para-demons jump out of it, if that's what you think would make a fun movie.
I'm sure you gave yourself a big pat on the back after writing this sarcastic comment.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Staircaseghost
Regular

Quote:
I'm sure you gave yourself a big pat on the back after writing this sarcastic comment.
Yikes.
Staircaseghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
JoeBanks

the big-budget, cradle to grave "Ghandi" style bio pic is out (and some thanks for that).

but stories of lesser-known but important historical figures, focusing on a single event or slice of the subject's life that illuminates their place in history is prime mental real estate at the moment
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
madworld

Quote:
Lol, he wasn't being sarcastic. Most movies don't get made, so he's(she's?) saying cut loose, have fun with it. Don't let the budget determine your content.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
omjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by madworld View Post
Lol, he wasn't being sarcastic. Most movies don't get made, so he's(she's?) saying cut loose, have fun with it. Don't let the budget determine your content.
To expand on that, just because something doesn't get made doesn't mean that it won't be sold, or earn you representation, or become a calling card writing sample that gets you work. That's why you're sometimes better off just giving yourself the freedom you need to write the story you want.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
madworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjs View Post
To expand on that, just because something doesn't get made doesn't mean that it won't be sold, or earn you representation, or become a calling card writing sample that gets you work. That's why you're sometimes better off just giving yourself the freedom you need to write the story you want.
Yep, exactly.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote