Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
EdFury

Default Wrinkle in Time

Holy crap. It actually hurt my eyes it's so bad. This is a book I love. One I would have loved to adapted. They took it and killed it.... can something be beyond dead? If what I overheard on the way out is any bell weather, the hate for it was visceral. So sad.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Furious Anjel

Default Re: Wrinkle in Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Holy crap. It actually hurt my eyes it's so bad. This is a book I love. One I would have loved to adapted. They took it and killed it.... can something be beyond dead? If what I overheard on the way out is any bell weather, the hate for it was visceral. So sad.

What went wrong? I've heard people say the story is unfilmable but it also sounds like Ava DuVernay made some poor choices.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
Bananos
Regular

I remember seeing the trailer for this and writing on some forum that this looked like a disaster. I got so much crap from that post, but you don't need to be an expert to see that the visuals look terrible and the acting is bad.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
karsten

This review says it all:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/07/...-lengles-book/

It would appear that the filmmakers had multiple agendas. Pity that one of them wasn't either (a) respect for the material, or (b) making a good movie.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
This review says it all:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/07/...-lengles-book/

It would appear that the filmmakers had multiple agendas. Pity that one of them wasn't either (a) respect for the material, or (b) making a good movie.
oh noes, The Federalist sees an "agenda" by a black director. shocker
Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
karsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
A film ruined by preachiness (among other things) is a film ruined by preachiness -- be it Brad Bird's Tomorrowland, or this malformation-passing-itself-off-as-an-adaptation.

The race of the director doesn't give them a free pass against such criticism. Or shouldn't.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
StoryWriter

Quote:
Considering the reviewer never mentioned the director was black -- it looks like you might be the one with an "agenda".

Maybe you'd prefer a writer from "VOX"?
Madeleine L’Engle’s Christianity was vital to A Wrinkle in Time

Or maybe "Variety"?
Film Review: ‘A Wrinkle in Time’

"Despite such bold choices as casting Oprah Winfrey as an all-wise celestial being and rejecting the antiquated assumption that the lead characters ought to be white, “A Wrinkle in Time” is wildly uneven, weirdly suspenseless and tonally all over the place, relying on wall-to-wall music to supply the missing emotional connection and trowel over huge plot holes."

6 out of 10 critics didn't like this. Shooting the messenger is rarely a good idea.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Considering the reviewer never mentioned the director was black -- it looks like you might be the one with an "agenda".

"Despite such bold choices as casting Oprah Winfrey as an all-wise celestial being and rejecting the antiquated assumption that the lead characters ought to be white, “A Wrinkle in Time” is wildly uneven, weirdly suspenseless and tonally all over the place, relying on wall-to-wall music to supply the missing emotional connection and trowel over huge plot holes."

6 out of 10 critics didn't like this. Shooting the messenger is rarely a good idea.
criticizing the storytelling is fine, which is not what the thrust of The Federalist smear piece is doing. Wrinkle in Time has long been considered one of those "unfilmable" books like Catcher in the Rye. Ava making the main character of color has nothing to do with those inherent challenges (except to right-wing snowflakes who see diversity "agendas" behind every corner)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
UpandComing

Quote:
criticizing the storytelling is fine, which is not what the thrust of The Federalist smear piece is doing. Wrinkle in Time has long been considered one of those "unfilmable" books like Catcher in the Rye. Ava making the main character of color has nothing to do with those inherent challenges (except to right-wing snowflakes who see diversity "agendas" behind every corner)
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the story because of standard elements like character development, plot strength, or dialogue creativity. But The Federalist spends little (if any) time on those topics.

90% of The Federalist's review is spent criticizing the movie over changes to characters' ethnicity and gender from the book. Even though those changes have no impact on the quality of the main story. That's not film criticism based on merits. That's an agenda.

It's sad that some people continue to feel threatened by those types of changes. Probably the same kind of people who feel threatened by the demographic changes in the world at large (changes which choices like those made in this movie are meant to reflect). Well, bad news for the butthurt snowflakes -- those changes aren't slowing down.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #10
StoryWriter

Maybe if the writer, director, studio or all of the above -- spent more time worrying about the story and less about leading a diversity parade, they might have told a better story.

Whatever happened to subtlety? People can "get it" -- you don't have to beat them over the head with a fifty pound sledge hammer.