Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 981
Default James Franco sued

Ick.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/ja...on-1203357890/
figment is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
Vango
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 123
Default Re: James Franco sued

I have no insight into the case, but do you know what bothers me about this?

1) These people signed up to take course on how sex is portrayed/acted out in movies. Everyone, even people that don't know Franco, know that he's a very liberal and experimental type of artist. That right there, should tell you if you should want to enroll in this class.

2) Why is it taking years to come out with this? The course was taken in 2014.

3) Tither-Kaplin, one of the girls suing, has appeared in some James Franco independent films. If she was so traumatized from the event, why would she ever do a movie with Franco after that class? I seriously don't understand this. If someone was to sexually assault me, or disrespect me in anyway, I would not care who they were, we simply would not do business. Franco does not run Hollywood and there is nothing he'd be able to hold against her at all.

4) Why are they suing for "monetary damages?" If this man is such a predator, why isn't this a criminal case. This is about justice, correct? Money has nothing to do with it, unless you were so traumatized, that you had to seek psychiatric help and those bills were not covered by insurance.

I would just say, be careful who we believe with these types of cases. Everyone is looking to exploit people. We've seen Weinstein, where people have come forth. He exploited them. And then we've seen the opposite end of the spectrum, with random gold-diggers attempting to exploit athletes like Derrick Rose and destroy their reputation by claiming rape, one of the most serious criminal allegations.
Vango is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 981
Default Re: James Franco sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vango View Post
I have no insight into the case.
You have no insight but you already decided they're liars and out for money. Uh huh.
figment is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Vango
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 123
Default Re: James Franco sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
You have no insight but you already decided they're liars and out for money. Uh huh.
Don't think I said they were liars at all once. I did what an attorney would do in a court of law -- I made the facts available. Everything I said is 100% factual, not an opinion.
Vango is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,709
Default Re: James Franco sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vango View Post
I have no insight into the case, but do you know what bothers me about this?

1) These people signed up to take course on how sex is portrayed/acted out in movies. Everyone, even people that don't know Franco, know that he's a very liberal and experimental type of artist. That right there, should tell you if you should want to enroll in this class.
They're not "these people" they're women who are in an unequal power position. I don't know Franco and I know nothing about his personal sexual proclivities, why would I?

Funny thing about movies... they have sex scenes in them. Actors have to perform in them. Knowing how to do them professionally is not any different than learning to perform in a murder scene. They actually hire Intimacy consultants on sets to protect actors from being exploited.

Who knows everything about everyone. And what someone does in private life should have nothing to do with their professional life. That's called discrimination. They should remain separate.

And why would a woman assume that they will exploit and take advantage of them when they take a class from a reputable business. This is about women accusing men of allegedly exploiting them, abusing them, coercing them, manipulating them. It's not about PEOPLE, it's about WOMEN who have no POWER being taken advantage of by MEN for their personal pleasure who do hold power over them.

And it wasn't all that long ago. The whole #metoo fight didn't even start until a year or so ago.
Quote:

2) Why is it taking years to come out with this? The course was taken in 2014.
Seriously? Do you know nothing about victims of abuse? It's humiliating, degrading, embarrassing and causes real emotional and psychological harm for your entire life. Speaking out can threaten your livelihood, not to mention the public shame that goes a long with it. The fear of whether you will be attacked by people who think you're lying.

Have you ever been abused, raped, exploited, manipulated, stalked? If not, then maybe that's why you can't understand it.

For a short time I was a swimsuit model when I was young. I moved out from a small town right out of high school and have been on my own ever since. No one tells you what to look out for, no one tells you how to protect yourself. You learn by experience. I used to get approached in malls in big cities about being a model. So I worked with a photographer and part of his requirement is that they have to see you nude and photograph you nude. This happened out in fron to all the girls. All the girls did it, because we believed it was standard. I didn't like, but I did it. It was humiliating.

Then sometime after working together he invited me to his home to discuss the travel arrangements for the upcoming shoot in the Bahamas. I went to his house, it was just business associates, and sudden he lurches at me to kiss me.

I shoved him away and immediately left and never went back, because I didn't need it. BUT there were other girls that really wanted to be a model and they needed the jobs.

This is about one person who holds power over another. They manipulate you over time, constantly pushing boundaries and basically train you into a certain type of behavior over time. It's outright, systematic abuse.

Quote:
3) Tither-Kaplin, one of the girls suing, has appeared in some James Franco independent films. If she was so traumatized from the event, why would she ever do a movie with Franco after that class? I seriously don't understand this. If someone was to sexually assault me, or disrespect me in anyway, I would not care who they were, we simply would not do business. Franco does not run Hollywood and there is nothing he'd be able to hold against her at all.
Right, and big, huge stars appeared in Weinstein films over and over again. So what? They still hold the power. It's no different.

This is naive and shows, fortunately for you, that you've never experienced abuse. It doesn't just happen outright the first time you meet. Abusers are masters of manipulation. They know how to work and coerce a person with false promises. false hope and guarantees.

How about because she needs the money? She doesn't want to be blacklisted? She doesn't want to lose her career? Are you a woman? Have you ever experienced sexual harrassment in the workplace? Have you ever felt that your ability to support yourself or your family were threatened by someone who held their power over your head? Because that's what it's about-- power and control.

I suppose you believe all the allegations against Weinstein are lies, because why would any of those BIG stars wait decades to say anything? Why would they ever let it happen? Because that one person can RUIN you with a phone call.

Quote:
4) Why are they suing for "monetary damages?" If this man is such a predator, why isn't this a criminal case. This is about justice, correct? Money has nothing to do with it, unless you were so traumatized, that you had to seek psychiatric help and those bills were not covered by insurance.
Because their abuse ruins their lives and if they can't pursue a criminal case at least they can force them to be accountable for their actions. If no one comes forward they will continue to do this to other women, how is that right?

It seems that you're being extremely judgmental about the women and dismissing their claims as if it's all their own fault. And to say, "unless you were so traumatized..." you have no idea what the story is, and yet you're judging their character and not his? You haven't said one thing in your post about the possibility that HE might be guilty of these charges. What these women are alleging is WRONG. They have the right to their day in court as much as Franco does.

I don't know about this case, but there are statutes of limitations when a person could file criminal charges after a certain period of time. After that you need to file a civil case. In my opinion, there shouldn't be statute of limitation on crimes like rape and abuse.

Physical abuse, psychological abuse, emotional abuse, all affect a person's entire life. It's not something that just happened back then, it changes you as a person forever, it causes lifelong damage.

Quote:
I would just say, be careful who we believe with these types of cases. Everyone is looking to exploit people. We've seen Weinstein, where people have come forth. He exploited them. And then we've seen the opposite end of the spectrum, with random gold-diggers attempting to exploit athletes like Derrick Rose and destroy their reputation by claiming rape, one of the most serious criminal allegations.
Oh, Weinstein gets the stamp of guilt and yet he hasn't even gone on trial? I think it's interesting that he's guilty in your eyes, but in this case you resist the idea of the Franco being guilty. Think about that?

I'm just going off of what you've posted here. It seems to me that you don't really understand what it means to be a victim of abuse, or to have been in a situation where someone holds power over you.

I'm a strong, opinionated woman, clearly, but I've had all kinds of illegal **** happen to me and I've had to suck it up, because my job was on the line. My ability to protect my daughter as a single mother who didn't have "family" to help getting by easier. Women find ways to work around unwanted attention, because believe it or not, when you say "NO," men don't really believe you mean it.

If you'd like to understand what a victim of manipulation goes through you might want to watch the show UNBELIEVABLE, or the R. KELLY documentary, or WHEN THEY SEE US, or LEAVING NEVERLAND, or even check out the hashtag #whywomendon'treport. Everyone of these films/series clearly demonstrates how victims become victims and how their assailants perpetuate the abuse.

I'm just so sick of hearing this kind of crap happening.

I don't know if these allegations are true, but it feels likely.
__________________
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,” Pablo Picasso

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,709
Default Re: James Franco sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vango View Post
Don't think I said they were liars at all once. I did what an attorney would do in a court of law -- I made the facts available. Everything I said is 100% factual, not an opinion.
You did what a DEFENSE attorney would do. You posed a defense. You did not state facts. You don't know the facts.

The prosecutor will tell the alleged victims to expect those viewpoints and challenges and yet they still feel strongly enough to file charges. Good for anyone who stands up to what they believe is right, regardless of how long it takes.
__________________
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,” Pablo Picasso

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
lostfootage
Member
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 517
Default Re: James Franco sued

I read the 34-page claim they filed in court, linked in the article.

This lawsuit alleges two things: sexual harassment of female students, and business fraud based on the claim that Franco's school says it's not "pay to play" but which in practice may be, which is a violation of California law.

One of the claims is that Franco was funding his films with profits from his acting school, at the same time telling students -- "If you pay for this master class, we'll use the money to make you a reel." This didn't happen. Instead, he used that money to fund his little films. Which is straightforward fraud.

I actually think the business fraud aspect of the case has more legal legs than that sexual harassment stuff.

Read all 34 pages. It does sound like they have a good case.
lostfootage is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #8
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: James Franco sued

Gucci inches in slowly hoping no one sees him then whispers "Seems like in a lot of these cases the evidence is weak for sexual blah blah blah... and stronger for fraud." But, I ain't no lawyer. So..... zipping it!

***I in no way support fukkin pigs in this industry. FUKK THOSE PEOPLE TO DEATH IN THE EYE BALL!!

FURTHERMORE: If you can't get laid without being a pig, bruh, you ain't got no game, b!tch. Ha!
__________________
Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!
GucciGhostXXX is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,351
Default Re: James Franco sued

Derrick Rose may have won his most recent trial, but he admitted that him and his friend did the crime. It's like saying OJ is innocent of his crimes just because he got away with it.
Bono is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: James Franco sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Derrick Rose may have won his most recent trial, but he admitted that him and his friend did the crime. It's like saying OJ is innocent of his crimes just because he got away with it.
If it don't fit you must acquit. Clearly did his best to get the glove on. "LOL"

Sh!t... I'm a brown guy and I knew that fukker was guilty as fukk. So.........?
__________________
Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!
GucciGhostXXX is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker