Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
finalact4

Default Re: Manager/Producers want to write with you

They don't pay for options, it's a non-starter for them. they will offer $1, and expect you to write/rewrite for free.

I don't think they're mincing words, imo, they want to find material to develop and have a writer write it on spec with the hopes of packaging and selling it.

Things to keep in mind: (it they put it in writing)
They most likely will expect to retain all rights on any writing you do. They intend to produce, and might potentially have language in the contract (if they give you one) that locks you out of equal copyright ownership. Maybe not. You may not be able to do anything with it without them (which is okay as long as you understand and agree to it), but they could potentially have language in the contract that allows them to replace you with another writer. Insist on a contract that details all these aspects.

Clarify it's not a work-for-hire, unless that's what you want.

Do you have an entertainment lawyer?

They are not a WGA signatory, as a WGA member aren't you restricted to only work with signatories? I'm not in the WGA, so I don't know the rules.

Action:
So, I would send them an email telling them that you'd be interested in working with them (if you are) on a project and ask them to let you know when they have material for you to consider.

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
Satriales
Regular

Figured that is who it was. I’d personally avoid this situation unless they came to me with a high concept cheap/contained idea that I loved more than anything else I had an idea for.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
sfire8
User

Yes, you are not supposed to work with non-signatory companies. I think developing with managers is fine, but this seems to be a creative exec thing so, probably not good as far as WGA. Although, they are aware of it. And they rep many WGA writers.

Thanks for the very specific advice. I might as well email back and see! This is not the first time I've dealt with this, but this company is new for me.

Thanks so much!!
sfire8 is offline   Reply With Quote