How to approach an A-list director in my family?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to approach an A-list director in my family?

I'm fortunate enough to have an A-list director in our family on my wife's side. We've see his wife on occasion, and she's great company and a lot of fun, but the director keeps pretty close tabs on his circle, so we've never met although we are Facebook "friends." I've got a screenplay and it sure wouldn't hurt me if he read it. We both specialize in multi-cultural comedies. Obviously, I don't want to waste an A-list director's time, but my latest screenplay has a lot of great comic moments. Should I drop him a message on Facebook asking if i can send it to him? Should I ask his wife if she can ask for me? How should I approach this?

Re: How to approach an A-list director in my family?

Make damn sure it's ready. You'll need a lot more than" a lot of great comic moments" to keep from burning such a valuable bridge.

Out of curiosity, how many scripts have you written? Like, full-length, full-fledged screenplays.

Comment

That's kind of what I figured. I've written a few screenplays, but I've never won any awards or made it to the finals or anything like that. He already has his pick of the best screenplays out there. So that's where I'm at. But who in Hollywood knows anything, right? I coulda told Disney not to make John Carter, but no one asked me. Out of curiosity, how do you make damn sure it's ready? Everyone that's read it has a different opinion.

Comment

You could always ask the wife is the director's assistant might be kind enough to read it. That's a diplomatic approach which shows you respect the director. If he appreciates that respectful gesture then he may even offer to read it himself. Like the other respondent to your OP, make sure the script is in the next possible shape. You may only get one shot at this guy.
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by sumokurt1 View Post
          Out of curiosity, how do you make damn sure it's ready? Everyone that's read it has a different opinion.
          Have someone with a wide knowledge base and shrewd insight read it, someone like ScriptGal, and then explicitly ask her if this script is good enough to show to an A-list director. (She'd probably have some excellent notes on how to make it better, so what you'd really be asking is will it be good enough after I fix some of the problems and address some of your notes.)

Comment

yeah, that sounds like a diplomatic approach. I'll get some coverage and maybe a co-writer to help me with the next phase. What's a good timeline you think? Right now he's enjoying a recent hit, so I don't want to pester anyone too soon. On the other hand, maybe he's working on several projects as we speak. I 'm guessing maybe 3 months would be a good time.

Comment

Just PM me all of his contact info - phone numbers, e-mail, home address, places where he likes to hang out, SS# - and I'll handle it for you.

Comment

One thing I think you should keep in mind is that this director contact isn't the be all and end all.

It's great that you have this incredible contact, but don't base your whole life on getting him to read it and then making it.

If by some miracle he does like it, that's great. But if he doesn't, there is a whole world of directors and producers out there who may want it instead.

If it's as good as you hope, there's no reason that a lot of industry people won't like it when you query them with it.

However, it if plain stinks, then this director being a close contact won't make one bit of difference. No one will want it if it stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by sumokurt1 View Post
                  yeah, that sounds like a diplomatic approach. I'll get some coverage and maybe a co-writer to help me with the next phase. What's a good timeline you think? Right now he's enjoying a recent hit, so I don't want to pester anyone too soon. On the other hand, maybe he's working on several projects as we speak. I 'm guessing maybe 3 months would be a good time.
                  What do you mean by "What's a good timeline?"

You're talking about pestering him and in the same breath you're talking about getting a co-writer to help you.

Doesn't sound like the script is ready. Doesn't sound like you feel confident enough as a screenwriter to start a career.

The guy has a coveted job in the industry, not a magic wand.

Comment

I haven't read the script, but I get the impression that you'd be smart to bust your ass on a few more scripts before you even mention a read to this contact.

3 or 4 scripts in the future you'll be very, very, very thankful you decided to wait.

Comment

First, you have only one bullet in your gun, so make sure it isn't a dud.

Second, you are speaking like approaching him like any Joe off the street. You aren't any Joe off the street to this guy--you have some relation. And, since you have met and hung with his wife that tells me you are not a third cousin twice removed who will be appearing out of the wood work.

Are you a lot younger than him?

If so, your initial approach, through the wife, could be as a younger family member hoping he might have some sage advice or input.

If he isn't a complete ass, you ought to be able to get some contact based on that.

Under that approach, you might have a second chance if the first thing he sees isn't great.

But, even if he's your Dad, it all boils down to the product--the script. If it isn't good, it isn't going to go anywhere. So, do the coverage. Unless it's a recommend as it is, revise it based on their feedback. Make sure it's solid.

That's my take.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                        Just PM me all of his contact info - phone numbers, e-mail, home address, places where he likes to hang out, SS# - and I'll handle it for you.
                        And chocolate. Does he like chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                          I haven't read the script, but I get the impression that you'd be smart to bust your ass on a few more scripts before you even mention a read to this contact.

3 or 4 scripts in the future you'll be very, very, very thankful you decided to wait.
                          I agree with ATB and Iggy - this is a big connection that you don't want to squander. You need to have the writing chops whether a) you just want his help/connections to get reps or access or b) you're hoping to attach him to your project. Maybe your current script is the one - if so, you need to get some sort of feedback to find out. Posting on this site is a great free option. But I think before you tap this scarce resource (your connection to him), you want to know you're going in with your best shot. An A-list director has a pile of scripts with $$ behind them.
                          Last edited by ScriptGal; 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM. Reason: clarity
                          ScriptGal
                          Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                          Fifteen Years Development Experience
                          http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

As always, I agree with ATB. I think once you get that script in tip-top shape, I'd ask his advice about anyone he knows (agents, managers) to send it to. He may say he wants to see it himself or maybe you get a great referral out of him
                            "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                              Make damn sure it's ready. You'll need a lot more than" a lot of great comic moments" to keep from burning such a valuable bridge.
                              Yes. The family connection will help you make contact, but after that the only thing that matters is how good the script is and if he's and A-list director he'll be looking at A-grade writing. So is your script in the top 0.1 percent of scripts that get read by agencies and execs?

It's only a hunch but my guess is you're writing isn't at the level needed to get his attention and it might be better to have some credentials before tapping into his status. I'm not trying to be negative here, just realistic, but I'd say you're at the level where you'll just be the nuisance relative. I'd wait and look for opportunities more suited to where your writing skills are.
                              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                              X