Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
scripto80
Member
 
scripto80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

*removed*

Last edited by scripto80 : 01-10-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: I don't like pointless arguing.
scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Aspirant
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 678
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Scripto: I get it, and I appreciate your post. It sounds like Amazon. The people who are questioning your manager are way off base. This is a good tip and something to watch out for.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
mrjonesprods
Member
 
mrjonesprods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Beach
Posts: 551
Wink Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
The people who are questioning your manager are way off base.
How so?
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
muckraker
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 560
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Did you not see the title of the thread? BE WARNED!!! Be VERY WARNED!!!
muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
mrjonesprods
Member
 
mrjonesprods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Beach
Posts: 551
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckraker View Post
Did you not see the title of the thread? BE WARNED!!! Be VERY WARNED!!!
Good call. Don't second guess why a rep would need to sign a release form to submit material to a studio based producer even though legit reps never do and are never asked to.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Aspirant
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 678
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesprods View Post
Good call. Don't second guess why a rep would need to sign a release form to submit material to a studio based producer even though legit reps never do and are never asked to.
No offense, but you're being pretty obnoxious. I checked your Twitter page, and I guess you openly embrace that. But it's not helpful here.

You're using a well-intentioned post by someone trying to pass along some potentially valuable information given to him by his manager as a vehicle for attacking the manager (who you don't know) and aggrandizing yourself in the process. Well done.

I may not be as far along as you, but I'm repped, and I was also surprised to hear that Scripto's manager was asked to sign a release. Apparently Scripto's manager was surprised as well. So let's assume, for the sake of argument, that your premises and your conclusion are correct -- namely, that (A) no reputable manager or agent would ever be asked by a production company to sign a release on behalf of his client; (B) your own (super-reputable) agent was not asked by Illumination to sign a release on your behalf; and, therefore (C) Scripto's manager must not be reputable (or must be suspect in some way, at least as far as Illumination is concerned).

Even if all of this is true, unless you think either Scripto's manager or Scripto himself is lying (for reasons not easily imagined), the fact remains that Illumination has a release that contains provisions that appear to be highly unfair to the writer. This may be something that neither you, nor me, nor Scripto, nor our reps, nor anyone else's rep, may ever be asked to sign. But if Illumination has such a release, it's certainly possible that someone -- perhaps an unrepped writer submitting to them directly -- might encounter it. The caution being given here is simply, if this is presented to you, think twice before signing. People are free to either take that advice, or disregard it.

I've never dealt with Illumination and I have no personal knowledge about what might or might not be in their release, or under what circumstances a release might be required. But I think it was nice of Scripto to share this information, and, in my opinion, the insinuations about his manager were unnecessary and uncalled for.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Starbux, CA
Posts: 373
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

This is like AFTRA actors hating that non union actors work more than they do because non union actors take whatever pay.
It's up to every screenwriter, not just WGA members to insist on their rights and to have their ass covered and compensated. If you think, it's ok this one time, because I really need the money, there will be someday when you'll wish it wasn't so. If one gives in, the others suffer. Basically, people screw themselves over, because they sell out. If everyone stuck together and had integrity writers wouldn't be treated like the ALONE man on the tittypole.
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
mrjonesprods
Member
 
mrjonesprods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Beach
Posts: 551
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
No offense, but you're being pretty obnoxious. I checked your Twitter page, and I guess you openly embrace that. But it's not helpful here.
So I guess you're the arbitrator of what is helpful and what isn't on these boards now, huh? Thanks for checking out the twitter page though! So bummed you won't be following me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
You're using a well-intentioned post by someone trying to pass along some potentially valuable information given to him by his manager as a vehicle for attacking the manager (who you don't know) and aggrandizing yourself in the process. Well done.
This isn't about me. It's about one of the few companies in town who makes animated movies. The advice is basically to stay away from them. (The title of thread is Illumination - Be Warned!) This is a company who not only has a first look deal with Universal, but has their own money - a rarity in this business. Most animation is completely insular (Pixar), this company actually meets with young writers to try and find material. Yes, that document being asked to be signed is lame. As are ALL other release forms. Release forms are for the unrepresented. Don't sign them. But their document isn't criminal. Scripto said they offer WGA minimum. Don't like it - don't submit. Or, better yet, submit with someone who doesn't need to have the document signed. Scripto's other red flag was that they don't promise you credit for your work. Guess what? They can't. If they're a WGA signatory company, it's up to the WGA to award credit.

And I'm not really sure how I was aggrandizing myself in this thread. Was it because I mentioned I've met with the people in question? I'll make sure to refrain from posting first hand knowledge in the future and defer to those with second hand information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
I may not be as far along as you, but I'm repped, and I was also surprised to hear that Scripto's manager was asked to sign a release.
I know you're repped. You tell us in just about every post. Congrats.

And good to hear you thought it was strange he needed to sign a release too. That's all Mr. Tooke and I were saying. If Scripto is cool with it, then so am I!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
Apparently Scripto's manager was surprised as well. So let's assume, for the sake of argument, that your premises and your conclusion are correct -- namely, that (A) no reputable manager or agent would ever be asked by a production company to sign a release on behalf of his client; (B) your own (super-reputable) agent was not asked by Illumination to sign a release on your behalf; and, therefore (C) Scripto's manager must not be reputable (or must be suspect in some way, at least as far as Illumination is concerned).

Even if all of this is true, unless you think either Scripto's manager or Scripto himself is lying (for reasons not easily imagined), the fact remains that Illumination has a release that contains provisions that appear to be highly unfair to the writer. This may be something that neither you, nor me, nor Scripto, nor our reps, nor anyone else's rep, may ever be asked to sign. But if Illumination has such a release, it's certainly possible that someone -- perhaps an unrepped writer submitting to them directly -- might encounter it. The caution being given here is simply, if this is presented to you, think twice before signing. People are free to either take that advice, or disregard it.
A manager being asked to sign a document that legit reps don't sign is a red flag. I brought it up because there are LOTS of people on these boards who do not have legit reps. Having someone on the fringe represent them will not help their career. It sounds as if Scripto is cool with his reps, based on how defensive he got I think it's a safe assumption.

I don't weigh into threads very often. When I do it comes from a place of wanting to help. I think many will attest to that. It's not done to be obnoxious like you claim or to stroke my ego. Far from it. My intention is for others to get something useful out of the conversation. I'll be sure to find out later from you if they did.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
adam612
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 315
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Mr Jonesprods has a ton of knowledge about the industry. I've seen people on this board who post just because a managers agreed to read their script-- not that I'm trying to diminish that accomplishment-- while Mr Jones is a working writer who sold a TV pilot last month and didn't even mention it on DD. (Unless I missed it.)

This is an odd thread to begin with, and to warn people to steer clear of a reputable company is some strange advice, but choose carefully who you attack on this board.
adam612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Aspirant
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 678
Default Re: Illumination Ent - Be Warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam612 View Post
Mr Jonesprods has a ton of knowledge about the industry. I've seen people on this board who post just because a managers agreed to read their script-- not that I'm trying to diminish that accomplishment-- while Mr Jones is a working writer who sold a TV pilot last month and didn't even mention it on DD. (Unless I missed it.). This is an odd thread to begin with, and to warn people to steer clear of a reputable company is some strange advice, but choose carefully who you attack on this board.
Mr. Jones chose himself. He may have excellent credentials, and I respect that. However, in my opinion, he was out of line. He obviously disagrees, and that's fine.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker